Chariot Class Rant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
I love the roman chariot class at AMHR Nationals. It is definitely my favorite. My old mare, Tippy, definately agrees with me. (For those who don't know Tippy is 18 years old and still competing.)

I work very hard at making sure my horse is comfortable and happy showing in this class. My chariot has been custom made for Tippy and is balanced so that the shafts are neutral. I stand over the axle to keep the shafts neutral. Tippy has a custom chariot harness as well. It is a chimicum sport harness with a sliding backband and freedom collar. It has breeching and no check.

I am not trying to pick on anyone... but i was saddened watching horses in chariot this year who were not correctly or considerately attired. It hurt me to watch some of them try to compete. Here are some suggestions and observations.

1. PLEASE do not use a check and martingale in chariot. It is not fair to expect the horse to pull such a big vehicle at high speed with his head checked up sky high. I noticed that in both open and ammy tippy was the only horse with no check. Some horses had very tight checks! A check is not required in the rules for chariot.

2. Chariots are heavy clumbsy vehicles- don't expect your horse to pull and stop (more on this in my next point) one in a refined, decorative show harness.

Use something sturdier, wider, and more comfortable than your show harness. I saw one other person in the class with a wide breastcollar, but the majority of my competition has on show harnesses.

3. PLEASE Use breeching. I know this is nationals and show people have an adversion to breeching but... IF the class is called correctly (which this year in open is the first time i have ever seen this happen) it calls for a GALLOP to WALK transition. Think about a horse having to stop a chariot from a gallop on his back. Not one other person in the class had breeching, most had their harnesses tied down hard to shaft stops.

4. BALANCE your chariot. read articles on cart balance. a chariot is not a show cart pulled around a graded surface at a merry trot. Balance matters here.

5. Do NOT stand in the nose of the chariot, in front of the axle. Stand above the axle in the chariot, not forward of it. Standing in front of the axle puts all your weight down onto the back of the horse.

6. Chariot rules are not the same as show ring driving rules. Note that in addition to not requiring a check, chariot rules also allow shoes, boots, and draft harness bits.

ok off my soapbox now.

flame away

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points. I've never driven chariot and wouldn't have thought of some of those things, but it makes perfect sense. Congratulations on your wins - you had a great show, and Tippy is so much fun to watch! She really turns it on LOL.

Jan

Excellent post--I so agree with you. It's always really bugged me that so many of the chariot drivers stand in front of the axle, putting so much weight on the little horse's back...or in the case of the teams, on the horses' necks!

Wonderful tips!!! I hope people listen to them. And I so enjoyed watching Tippy - that was my favorite class in the whole show. Congrats!!!

Nicely phrased, and I agree 100%. I've never gotten to watch the class live but don't understand the completely nonsensical ergonomic setups I see on some of those chariots.
default_no.gif
Can you put some sort of small third wheel under the nose of the chariot to take the weight or is that a ridiculous thought?
default_wacko.png
I plan to research historical chariots and come as close as I can for the team, and for the single I will probably use some sort of bent shaft to give the horse a low angle of draft so he can pull better and keep the weight off his back. I just now realized that I'd planned to use the California Soft Collar I had for chariot someday and forgot about that when I chose to send it back. Bummer! Oh well. I'll just have to use the Freedom Collar and go from there.

If you expect your horse to gallop and pull, you need to at least give him enough leeway in the check to use his head and neck and get his hindquarters under him. My understanding is that checks are used in the Standardbred world partially because a tight check is very effective at preventing a horse from breaking out of a trot!
default_new_shocked.gif
This class is different from the other class types at Nationals, just as the draft harness classes are. Harness your horse for the job he is doing.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about harness for Chariot racing, but I readily agree you are the authority on it. I so enjoy seeing you and Tippy Toes show in that class, and I was there when you avoided a bad wreck and greatly admire you. I have learned that you are a beautiful young woman inside and out.

Might add that you can drive beautifully when not in that chariot!

Keely-

I just want to say congrats to you and Tippy Toes on your great wins. You both looked beautiful out there and like you were having a fantastic time.

I don't know anything about chariots, but I am glad you have spoken up - hopefully you will help some people who will one day show in chariot.

Barbie

Excellent points! You and Tippy are amazing to watch. I would have liked to have seen the judges DQ the one chariot that stormed out of the arena and cut around and cut off other competitors. He should have been DQ on safety alone. That was ridiculous.

I would love to get a chariot, and with your info will be very careful in my selection of horse, harness, and cart!

Congratulations! I just loved watching Tippy stretch out!! GO TIPPY GO!!

Keely, no flame from me. I agree totally. Tippy was spectacular, you looked so pretty, and the smile on your face said it all.

Just wanted to add that I watched you and Tippy Toes and was cheering you on all the way. Then later on found out that Tippy is 18. What a little go-getter she is! It's pretty obvious she loves her job...probably because, as you said, you try to make sure she's as comfortable as possible.

Just adding our thoughts - -

No Flames -

We have been driving chariots for years and also enjoy the class. But we have backed off showing because we do not feel the rules of the class are being observed and it can be dangerous both to horse and driver! When the class was originated - it stressed horsemanship. It seems that it is nothing but a race anymore. Rules call for a slow canter: "Horses must demonstrate a slow canter in unison, be calm and light mouthed. Racy appearance will be penalized." I take this to mean - the team should work in unison in a very collected, animated gallop- similar to dressage. And the Hand-Gallop according to the rule book - " in unison, not at full speed or racing or giving the appearance of being out of control." That is not what we have experienced in the show ring. Chariot driving is not a race - and should stress horsemanship which includes the well being of your horse.

I want to stress the fact that ancient charioteers drove 1,000 pound plus horses - we are driving horses that weigh approximate 250 pounds - and this should be taken into consideration.

Our shoulders are broad - we too can withstand afew flames.

I love the roman chariot class at AMHR Nationals. It is definitely my favorite. My old mare, Tippy, definately agrees with me. (For those who don't know Tippy is 18 years old and still competing.)
I work very hard at making sure my horse is comfortable and happy showing in this class. My chariot has been custom made for Tippy and is balanced so that the shafts are neutral. I stand over the axle to keep the shafts neutral. Tippy has a custom chariot harness as well. It is a chimicum sport harness with a sliding backband and freedom collar. It has breeching and no check.

I am not trying to pick on anyone... but i was saddened watching horses in chariot this year who were not correctly or considerately attired. It hurt me to watch some of them try to compete. Here are some suggestions and observations.

1. PLEASE do not use a check and martingale in chariot. It is not fair to expect the horse to pull such a big vehicle at high speed with his head checked up sky high. I noticed that in both open and ammy tippy was the only horse with no check. Some horses had very tight checks! A check is not required in the rules for chariot.

2. Chariots are heavy clumbsy vehicles- don't expect your horse to pull and stop (more on this in my next point) one in a refined, decorative show harness.

Use something sturdier, wider, and more comfortable than your show harness. I saw one other person in the class with a wide breastcollar, but the majority of my competition has on show harnesses.

3. PLEASE Use breeching. I know this is nationals and show people have an adversion to breeching but... IF the class is called correctly (which this year in open is the first time i have ever seen this happen) it calls for a GALLOP to WALK transition. Think about a horse having to stop a chariot from a gallop on his back. Not one other person in the class had breeching, most had their harnesses tied down hard to shaft stops.

4. BALANCE your chariot. read articles on cart balance. a chariot is not a show cart pulled around a graded surface at a merry trot. Balance matters here.

5. Do NOT stand in the nose of the chariot, in front of the axle. Stand above the axle in the chariot, not forward of it. Standing in front of the axle puts all your weight down onto the back of the horse.

6. Chariot rules are not the same as show ring driving rules. Note that in addition to not requiring a check, chariot rules also allow shoes, boots, and draft harness bits.

ok off my soapbox now.

flame away

Keely -

Anyone who flames you is nuts. Your points are all good and valid. I was also upset with the one exhibitor who chose to exit the arena at a hand gallop - weaving thru the other entrants. The judges took notice of that as well.

Mark Bullington

The problem is I think new exhibitors jump right into that class thinking oh this is a fun class and just don't think about those things. I will say I was one of them. If I had to choose all over again what I would have done differently is don't be afraid to take in a nice clean working harness, go in with like a sport breast collar, I do like the ones that chicaum makes. Go in with breetching. Here is anothing biggie that you brought up, no checks. I never even seen that in the rulebook and if I did my horse would not have gone in there with a check. You hear the judges all the time yell about you the checks must be used and even the martingales I must have just missed it in the rules. Also its a costume class, work more on your attire, work on the horses manners, then worry about speed. That is suppose to be the way its judged and I don't care what the judges think you got to put safety with your horse.

I won't be in it anymore as I sold the chariot, but I love watching this class. Congrats to Tippey, I was shocked when I read the age.
default_new_shocked.gif

Keely,

I would love it if you could post a picture of Tippy in the chariot class for those of us who weren't there.
default_smile.png

You came up with some wonderful points which were very informative for those of us who haven't driven yet but plan to learn. Tippy is a lucky girl to have an owner like you.
default_smile.png

Love the class! Hope to one day be able to participate in it (hubby thinks I'm nuts!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

But very valid points. The horses are working at faster speeds. I can't imagine some of those show harnesses holding up if something were to happen. The ladies that show chariot here at our shows actually race during the off season. They do a wonderful job representing the class as their horses are harnessed just as they would at a race. Its a blast to watch them perform!

I got to watch that class- it was awesome! I don't know how you do it!

All your pointers are good ones!

And yeah, I was a bit ticked aboout the guy driving the grey. He was not careful at all. I was sitting down by the in gate and he almost caught the one driver with his chariot on one lap.

Lucy

Hello Keely! Congratulations, from what I read here you did very well! I would love to see a picture..sincerely Maxine (the ones that brought that homemade chariot down to Fla for you;)

maxine

that was the same chariot your husband made

i added wheels to it but that was the same chariot

it held up well

thank u so much for the great craftsmanship

No flaming here.. I thought your points were VERY good, and excellent info for those who like to compete in this class, or who may in the future!!! Excellent post!

maxinethat was the same chariot your husband made

i added wheels to it but that was the same chariot

it held up well

thank u so much for the great craftsmanship

Aw how sweet to reply Keely..Carl was thrilled to know you were able to make it work for you! Do you have any pictures on your prfile pictures? Or on You tube? We missed it on tv this year, unless it's not been aired yet..didnt get to watch the live feed as we're traveling..wouldn't you know same deal with the Worlds..but will try to catch up with it,

Again congratulations on all your hard work!!

Latest posts

Back