Charging for Tour of Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Does anyone here charge for tours of their farm? Just curious. We get so many requests that I am considering it.

We don't, but we always have a lot of drop-ins.

In Ontario, Canada, there would likely be tax impications and maybe some different insurance issues.

As far as Revenue Canada goes, they may want to reclassify our farm. We were audited once and it took two years to save our farm designation as CRA wanted to change it to several different types of business. (Horses, crops,lumber,tack shop, kennel, etc.)

On another note, there was a farm nearby that has school tours and one of the children lost a finger to a horse who bit it completely off. I have a feeling they will be re thinking. So terrible, likely feeding a treat (carrot) and a finger was in the wrong spot.

I don't charge, but I do tell people that I request a donation for an equine rescue group.It is their choice what the amount will be after I have done the tour.Being a former teacher I try to gear my tour according to the age of the group.I had a family once that enjoyed it so much they left me $100.I have given to Hearts&Hooves,Chances and our local animal shelter who takes in horses.I used to do it for nothing, but my time is valuable and with so many animals in need every little bit helps.Sometimes I have brochures from the organization to give them when they leave.Most people are very happy to leave money with you.

I was at the Land Of Little Horses in Gettysburg, PA over 20 years ago and still remember the great time we had. Have you checked that out Tony? Just a thought but it might give you some ideas.

If it was a buyer I would not charge, but if people just want to come for entertainment I think charging a fee is a good idea.

I haven't charged, but liability-wise I don't encourage tourists either. The few times I do have groups out they have to sign a liability release or it's not happening, especially with kids/groups of more that 6-8. Too hard to monitor them all.

I do like Bevann's idea of having them donate to a local shelter or rescue if you want to charge.

I can only share my experiences, we have a home owners policy, have had it since 1976 with the same company since we bought our first home, we have a separate farm policy with a different company, to cover tractor, barn, or if a horse gets lose, etc. We have never, ever used either one. We've been through several tornados, a earthquake, whatever and never filled a claim. We have never had any farm tours, and I tell people when they call, I don't offer them. Most of my horses are sold via the internet or at auction. I've sold several by taking them to local shows and yes these buyers have picked them up at my place or I have delivered them. Well, last NOv. we received a letter from our home owners ins. that they were coming out to inspect, which they did in Jan. Just last week we received a letter stating they were cancelling our home owners since we run a business. What! I'm sure there is another company willing to take our money, but this is outragious! Now mind you I have had someone come here from the VA with an injured soldier that returned from Iran and wanted to start his own min farm, and I did allow him to interact with the minis, to see if he could handle them, he did just fine and this was three years ago. Then I had a diplomates wife come here from DC. She is from China, and had not seen Minis before. All was on the up and up! No sales were involved or even a farm tour where I recieved any money, but my home owners have cancelled me after 36 years with no claims. Use caution! All it would take is one injury, or fall, or someone to report you. Just my two cents!

Only family and friends are allowed to come here--way too concerned about liability. If anyone else wants to see the horses--especially school or daycare groups, I will suggest that we bring a horse to their facility for a small fuel fee. Easier to control the situation if I am handling the only horse there. Someone called the other day and asked if they could bring kids out here to get some Easter photos. I offered to bring a horse to them--for a small fee--and they could take all the photos they wanted--I would even decorate the horse for them.

You must live in a unique area and have a beautiful farm. I don't want the public on MY farm....LOL. Even though it's gorgeous...

Tony does have a beautiful farm and I have had the wonderful experience of two tours at his place. I love his gorgeous tiny horses !
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back