Changing my grocery shopping habits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Is anyone else?

For me, it's partly saving money.....Which means going to our local "Grocery Bandit" and Grocery Outlet

for the cut rate canned and dry goods. They also tend to have bread close to expiration dates, but we

eat it quickly.

We also shop a lot at a local produce/farmers market....We have our own chickens for eggs....and tend to raise

our own meat chickens.....I now have a line in on a local Farm Co-op for other meat and milk/cream.

Why? Because the grocery stores are no longer required to label where the food is grown or packaged.

Unless things change, I think people are going to look at alternatives......What do you think?

We also grow a garden, but limited......What do you grow?

We also do a little bit of trading with a neighbor and family.....

I work for a grocery store chain as a cashier. The one thing I do is read labels of my fruits and veggies to see what country they come from. The only fruit I buy from another country are bananas, nothing from mexico, even those labeled as organic. Even then you can't guarantee that pesticides aren't being used. I grew my own tomatoes last year and plan on having more in my garden space. I also keep track of companies who move their products to other countries like Nabisco who is moving some to Mexico. If the product isn't USA then I don't buy it, including fresh fish. I try to buy my meat from a local smoke house and shop farmers markets in the summer. I also look for cage free eggs and if I buy chicken in the store it has to be cage free. Right now I'm seeing strawberries that are past their prime as well as grapes, which is caused by food being trucked in from other states. Buying local is the best way to get the freshest food for your money.

The main reason I try to buy local is allergies. I think we are missing out on an important health link with local pollens and other air/insect borne aspects of local food. My hens are free range and I believe that is important for eggs. They are eating bugs and plants. Local honey is the only kind I buy.

Fish that says it is from china is actally caught and processed on ships in international waters. It isnt from the china mainland.

My farm has been used with organic/natural processes for many years. I have weeds, so what? I don't use anything to kill them. The goats, chickens & goats eat them & bugs. I milk the goats, drink raw milk, make cheese & yogurt & soap. Chickens are free range. Small garden for veggies from heirloom seeds, saved, traded or bought organic. I can, freeze & dehydrate for winter use. One of my Am guinea hogs is going to market next month...the 2 girls are going to make babies for summer sales and future pork chops. Goat kids get sold or once in a while sent to butcher. I buy beef & chicken organic, or raise own some years, if I hatch eggs....poor roosters.

I can't control the hay but, try to buy from farmers where they try to grow chem free. The animal feeds are a challenge but, doable. some things I raise for their feed, beyond pasture -- turnips, beets, chicory, kale, buckwheat, pumpkins, sunflowers, etc. I have had hay cut & baled in past years from some fields. Always a hassle.

I STRONGLY feel that many of the health issues we see today are due to food chemicals & that includes GMOs, as well as the things added in processing. The food grown on many commercial farms is not up to par with the nutrition of the product, in addition to the chemical laden issue.

Most people are unaware this he happened. It's not in the best interest of the consumer
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back