Change in personality!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I am new to this and nervous, so sorry for silly Q's BUT my little mare is loewst in the pecking order BUT I notice that she is becoming much more bossy, like she is being a grouch to the other horses! Is this a sign that she is nearing the end of her pregnancy???

Looking for any sign!

Don't know due dates!

Absolutely ANYTHING can be a "sign" IME!!!
laugh.gif
Good Luck.

Fiona, first ask all the questions you like, there are never too many or dumb.

I say yes. I notice my mares get cranky as they approach their foaling day. I guess it's their way of warning the others that she's feeling weird and stay away. OR they get so attached to one or me that it's like having a huge cat!
new_shocked.gif

Keep watching and best of luck.

Thanks for the replies!

My little mare is like a cat all the time, my little LOVEBUG!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep you posted!!

Oh yes I check her bag, she has NONE and her teats still touch!

I have not seperated them yet because I tried and Fairy literally climbed the wall to get to the others! BUT I think I should because by the sounds of things I may not get true signs or then again I might!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I leave my mares pastured with their buddies right into foaling. They know one another and like YOUR friends would do -- back off and say "wow, bad day!"

You might also see the "best" friend tag closer near the end of the pregnancy. In the wild the mare will wander slightly away to foal and usually another mare or two will stay pretty close as in a bodyguard situation.

Gosh, I remember the last two weeks of MY OWN pregnancies....and I can relate to the weight, pressure, discomfort, moodiness, tired, nervous, hungry, can't get comfy when I lay downs, milk coming in, sore back.....get the picture?
biggrin.gif

Last 30 days you see many variances, so hug her! AND never hesitate to ask.

Fiona,

Grouchiness can be a sign for sure and I agree with Fizz that almost anything can be a sign. It helps if you know your mare very well, all her habits etc but if this is a new mare and it seems she is then its a guessing game. If shes not a maiden then her bag can be a great indicator but if a maiden even that isnt a sure thing. Has this mare had foals before? If so the bag can be a good indicator. Also pics of the mare can help forum members tell you more.

Backwoodsnanny! Great name by the way!!

She is a 2 yr old! So very nerve racking!

She is my buddy though and this grouchiness is new!

I did post pics of her to see when people thought she would be due!

I will bump it up so you can see it!!

Thanks!

Fiona, leave them together until she foals. It's not necessary to cause any more stress by separating them. If she foals out, she'll be ok and protect her baby. Keep a watch she sounds like sometime in the nest while.

I've gotta ask about your forum name....what does it mean? Irish?

That would make a wonderful baby name. How is it pronounced?

I've seen some mares turn real crabby and others just are there normal selves so it's just so hard to say. Give her a hug from me, ok?

Latest posts

Back