Change in Direction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystone

Reaction score
Well ever since my filly dwarf was born a couple of months ago I have been mulling over my horse situation. Her sire was sold as a pet. I will be keeping the dam for quite a while; I am in no rush to wean. I have 3 others. A mare and her two offspring (different sires). The mare is up for sale. She has never been warm and fuzzy; I was told that she was playful but Bonnie told me she hates people. I believe the latter. She is terrific when haltered but getting on the halter takes carrots and time. Her first offspring is a wonderful pocket pet palomino sabino filly. Her second offspring is now becoming a stallion and here lies my dilemna. I don't know if I should geld him and sell him. Just sell him. I think he is nice not sure how showable. I am thick skinned or you may pm me. As you can tell we don't know how to set him up.

Thanks.

Jake1.jpg

Jack.jpg

Jake2.jpg

He will make someone a really nice gelding. I am sorry to say he is not stallion material. Only the best of the best should be stallions, the rest should be geldings.

There are many people who would like to have a good gelding, but do not want to go to the time or trouble to have one gelded before they buy. It does not cost that much to geld one. Then you can also be sure tht he is not being used as a stallion.

I was leaning that way and actually have been in contact with from what I heard is an excellent vet that keeps the guy overnight.

After gelding what would be a decent price range for the southeast (TN) area?

I agree with gelding him. He's is built like the older minis. But he'll be a great gelding. Geldings don't go for much over $1000. I would price him around $800-1000. You may get less or more. Depends on the market in your area. But be forwarned that you'll probably have him for a few months before selling him.

I agree with the others - he'll make someone a nice gelding.

He is very handsome, I love the "old" style minis but that's just not what's in anymore
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back