Chablis and Rosie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wub.gif
They are both so handsome
wub.gif
So close in age.. they will be a team!

Rosie's foaling seemed to be a nice and easy one! Good job, Rosie!
aktion033.gif

Yes! We need names! I do like Bailey!

No problem Castle Rock! I'm equally as HAPPY to see the creme gene. Its a wonderful surprise! Ok, names....I always have a hard time picking names for colts.

Bay:

Happy Vino

Hooligan Vino

Happy Vin Brule

Hooligan Vin Brule

Happy Wine Talkin' (came up with this after drinking a glass of wine and having too much fun with the buckskin names
default_472.gif
)

Happy Drunk Dial

Drunk Dial Hooligan

Buckskin:

Happy Lee Buckin (Happily Buckin)

Happy What The Buck

What The Buck Hooligan

Buckin Hooligan

Buckin Happy Suprise

What a fantastically handsome pair of colts Carin, you must be over the moon!!

Thanks for the pics - great to see them all dried and fluffy - thanks for posting the video too.
default_yes.gif

Will you make Chablis wait for the week before you let Rosie out or will they be happy to be individuals for a few days?

Carin I vote for

Hooligan Vin Brule aka viny

Happy Lee Buckin aka Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastically handsome pair of colts Carin, you must be over the moon!!

Thanks for the pics - great to see them all dried and fluffy - thanks for posting the video too.
default_yes.gif

Will you make Chablis wait for the week before you let Rosie out or will they be happy to be individuals for a few days?
They'll stay in until I'm home to watch them on the first turn out. We've had foals run into fences, get under fences, and mares get violent with each other at first. Even best friends. So, for their safety, we keep them in until we're there to supervise.

Plus, both foals need some ligament and tendon stregthening and that's best done stalled. And leaving them in their first week of life allows us to monitor them much more closely to make sure there are no problems. We check our foals at least twice daily for nursing, urination, and defecation issues and you just can't do that if they are out in the pasture. And not to mention our coyotes, bobcats, and cougars that wander through.

Our mares are just as happy to be stalled as they are to be turned out.

Both are absoloutly gorgeous carin!
aktion033.gif
Love the paddock name bailey for the buckskin I like happy lee buckin
biggrin.gif
N buckin hooligan for the buckskin

NHappy vin brûlée n hooligan vin brulee for the older one
default_smile.png
Congrats again ;)

Carin and Diane, I also agree that there is no right or wrong way to 'deal' with mares and foals. It is all up to the the owner concerned and obviously takes into account the mare herself, the health of the new baby, the weather and most importantly of all, the facilities at various farms.

Here I have grass, grass and more grass!! LOL!! My girls are out 24/7 throughut the year. The brood mares come in at nights for the month before they foal and usually stay in at nights for the month afterwards. As they are such 'fatties', they only get a cupful of 'balancer' night and morning but ad lib hay during the nights - as their digestive systems are used to food during the night hours. Without exception they all love to be in their stables - they enjoy all the fuss and attention! BUT there is no way that I could keep them stabled completely after they foaled, it would not be good for their systems to change from daytime (10-12 hours) grass to 'dry' food 24/7. So, weather allowing, we lead the mare (foal following with sometimes a little encouragement!) out to an area of good fresh grass for around 1 to 2 hours that first day - we dont let the mare loose but sit/stand with her while she grazes. This gives her some Dr. Green to help get her digestion working again and the foal has the chance to wander slowly about in its own time - no danger of the mare taking off, causing her baby to follow at a fast pace before it is ready.

Depending upon the mare (temperament/sensible wise) we will either do this for two or three days (after the first day she will be led out twice each day for her grass time) or we will let her and the foal loose in our 'special' 1/2 acre paddock. From there the mares move to the 'mare and foal' field for a full day outside, where she will join her friends and their foals, or if she is the first to foal, she will go there alone to await the arrival of the next mare to foal. Any chance of bad weather and all mares and foals are gathered back in to the stables until the weather improves. This is another reason why I like my foaling stables to be as big as possible - at least 12x12, most of ours are 15x12, so the foals have plenty of room to scamper around if they get stuck inside for a while due to the weather!

I do agree with Diane's opinion in that I also feel that foals gain more strength through being allowed to walk around in large spaces rather than being kept in stalls, but I also think that more damage can be done if you just let a mare go and she trots off or takes off at her own pace with a new baby struggling to keep up. Hence my method of hand grazing for a day or two, to give a foal the chance to 'find it's legs'. But I also know that I couldn't keep my girls fully stabled for more than a day - they would gallop and race about once given the freedom again. They seem to be fooled/kept happy by their short grazing stints for a day or two, and when let loose, they just wander away, instead of going off at a rush!

But, as it has already been said, it is all up to the individual, and if it works for you, then why change it?

Yes, there is no wrong or right way. For weak ligaments though it is veterinary recommended to stall rest those foals until they "stand up" correctly. I'm jealous you have grass Anna! I'm in TX and we have been suffering from an exceptional drought this year. We have no grass at all.

Well you would all be very welcome to a generous share of this dam Welsh rain (good for growing grass - it would even grow grass in a desert after this past year!!)

Your pasture would soon be sprouting masses of green shoots and all your minis would be as fat as my little piggies - then you will be praying for the return of a drylot. LOL!!

Hey I have a great idea.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Diane you can have the rain in Florida for three months, We'll take it in Texas for three months, Oklahoma can have it for three months then Anna can have it back for three months
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah . Ya'll think that would work?

Oooooo I could go with that idea Hazel - Renee, you would just have to send your chips (and yourself ?) over here.
default_yes.gif

Pictures and Names!!

Pondering Oaks Vino Happynfluence (Vinny)

406649_10150480574892405_158131172404_8473092_1817736977_n.jpg

377086_10150480575537405_158131172404_8473095_1788415620_n.jpg

Pondering Oaks Im Buckin Happy (Tanner)

388906_10150480576892405_158131172404_8473101_1869435069_n.jpg

393716_10150480577437405_158131172404_8473107_697647710_n.jpg

Back