Cha Cha Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I thought some of you here might like an update on my hardkeeper Cha Cha. For those of you not familiar with our story, Cha Cha came to us 3 years ago at the age 11. We have spent most of that 3 years trying to find ways to keep weight on her with only nominal success. This spring she literally started wasting away in front of our eyes. She was becoming listless and barely eating. She did not shed out normally. After two rounds of bloodwork, we still had no answers. Finally, we went to the New Bolton equine center in southeast PA where we learned, after an ultrasound of her abdomen, that she had significant thickening of her small intestines. This thickening is preventing her body from absorbing nutrients from the grass/hay/grain she eats. The prognosis of this issues is extremely poor. There is no cure and pretty much palliative care is our only option at this point. We did opt to try a month (to start?) of tapering doses of steroids by injection. The hope being that the steroids will shrink some of the swelling/inflammation that's causing the thickening.

So, tomorrow we start week 4 of the injections...now down to 1cc for the next 7 days. The vet at New Bolton cautioned me that we would very likely see *no* improvements, if there were to be any for at least the first two weeks. She was right on that count. Even though we had been warned, it was so disheartening.

Last weekend though, we started noticing some things. Things we hadn't seen from her in quite some time. For instance, she started whinnying at me when I came out in the morning, or pretty much any time I came out. She would come looking for grain. She is a *very* reserved horse and prefers for her humans to stay a respectable distance away from her. So having her seek me out is quite a noticeable change.

My husband first noticed another sign. She was starting to fight for her share of hay. Despite being long established as the boss mare, she had gotten to where she just couldn't be bothered to fight for what she wanted, so she would simply walk away. This past weekend, we started seeing her nipping aggressively at anyone of the next 3 in the herd chain came near her pile of hay. I've since noticed that the nipping has progressed to turning and kicking repeatedly to get her message across.

Today, I gave her the option of being on the pasture all day. The weather has broken a bit with regards to the heat and the day was cloudy, so having her out there all day was possible. In the past several months, I would find frequently that when I would look out to see what she was doing, she was either resting with her head hanging very low in one of two spots, or actually laying down. She seem to rest more than eat. That wasn't the case today. She was out a full 12 hours and I saw her lay down once. I didn't see her resting standing up at all.

I know there is no cure and ultimately, this condition is going to win. But...it's so nice to see her behaving more like herself. The vet at New Bolton did tell me that she has just one case where a horse with one version of this condition has been maintaining for a couple of years now on a low dose level of steroids. I plan to talk with my own vet about the idea of continuing past next week with the steroids. I realize there are many risks with long term use of steroids, but I figure it's worth trying vs. the alternative.

Please, if you would, keep us both in your thoughts and prayers. I have both good and bad days around it all. Thank again to everyone who has given advice and offered support up to this point. It is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great that you see a difference in her. God bless you and your family for having the faith to keep trying for her sake. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
default_pray.gif

Thanks so much for the update and I wish you all the best with her. And ditto what Trish said... will keep the prayers coming.

That is so cool that you have gotten her this far and she is responding - and at least somewhat noticeable for you!

God bless you for trying so hard to give her a better quality of life. I will pray for you both. Please keep us updated
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back