Certified Humane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourhorses

Reaction score
With all the hubbub with the slaughter issue I thought I would post this website.

www.certifiedhumane.com

Now that you posted it what are your thoughts?

I do raise all of my sheep in a humane manner they are allowed to graze pasture in flocks and we do not supplement with lots of grain only good hay in the winter...we do not use growth promotents or antibiotics or chemicals unless absolutely neccessary.......and we choose our breeding stock based on effeciency on pasture and disease/parasite resistance.......this improves the quality of the end product.....I also take my lambs to a custom cutter who is usda inspected so I can sell my product........I prefer grass raised and organic so I also try to purchase this way as well and do support my local growers when possible
wink.gif

We want to raise our own chickens purely for quality control.....I hate the idea of eating cage raised hormone fattened chickens...just isn't appealing to me
wink.gif

runamuk said:
Now that you posted it what are your thoughts?
I do raise all of my sheep in a humane manner they are allowed to graze pasture in flocks and we do not supplement with lots of grain only good hay in the winter...we do not use growth promotents or antibiotics or chemicals unless absolutely neccessary.......and we choose our breeding stock based on effeciency on pasture and disease/parasite resistance.......this improves the quality of the end product.....I also take my lambs to a custom cutter who is usda inspected so I can sell my product........I prefer grass raised and organic so I also try to purchase this way as well and do support my local growers when possible
wink.gif

We want to raise our own chickens purely for quality control.....I hate the idea of eating cage raised hormone fattened chickens...just isn't appealing to me
wink.gif

478323[/snapback]

The best meats I've ever eaten.
wink.gif
The taste can't be compared!! The cost isn't that much more and worth every extra penny.
yes.gif
Same goes for free-range hens and their eggs.

You sound like the perfect humane farmer and I wish there were more like you.
wub.gif

Well, I just did a very quick scan of the website. This is just my opinion, but it sounds like just another group riding on the coattails of the NOP. I was kinda surprised and confused by them saying they've brought the USDA into it. I'm going to check into this; it doesn't make sense to me. USDA has their own certification program that's based on federal law. I don't see where they'd have jurisdiction to enforce any non-laws made up by a private group. Not to mention there would be no budget line for this. Wierd. I'll do some research.

Our farm is Certified Organic and I'm also an organic inspector (not for my own farm obviously) working for an accredited Certifying Agent . The NOP is not without faults and growing pains, of course, but it IS written in law. The NOP has humane practice standards also. It sounds like this group is trying to get around the organic feed requirement. There's a bunch of these little private groups out there. The bottom line, in my mind, is this certification really has no value, as there is no law to back it up.

keeper......the way I currently understand this little group(may be a different group)......they are promoting humane methods and I believe you can find a link to their site from the USDA site.....so not an actual USDA program but a marketing scheme supported by USDA.......I ran across it one day when I was on the USDA /APHIS sites doing a bit of research....sounds more like a marketing program than any sort of legislation or rulemaking group.......the same group I found is also supported by the ASPCA ........in regards to humane practices in farming.......seemed like a clearinghouse for farms participating in more humane/natural/organic practices.........just my take and hey can be free advertising
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back