CDE (VSE) Presentation at MAMHC Meeting this SUNDAY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
The Mid-America Miniature Horse Club will have a knowledgable CDE competitor at our club meeting this coming Sunday, January 11th at the Henry County Supply in New Castle, KY. (this is a John Deere Dealership with a huge array of JD gifts, horse supplies, etc....just FYI
default_smile.png

She will explain the different parts of a CDE and how the miniature horses are so popular for these events....they are termed VSE at these events for (Very Small Equine). She is a "Marathon Junkie" in her own words...really enjoys the fun of the working through all the different 'hazards' on the CDE course...etc.

We are looking into setting up a permanent course, plus having workshops..etc. The follow up to this presentation will be a clinic with Becky in March, here at Cherokee Stables (just west of Dayton, Ohio)...in our indoor arena. Everyone is invited to the meeting this Sunday and the clinic in March...so mark your calendars for something new to do with your minis and something really FUN!

It is such a popular event in so many areas of the country...we keep reading about it here on the forum...we decided to try to bring it into our area to enjoy too!

January 11, 2009

MAMHC Meeting

MAMHC

Hosted by members:

Debbie & Andy Meek & Sherry Crowe

Henry County Supply John Deere Dealership

Highway 421 North

1497 Campbellsburg Road

New Castle, KY 40050

Phone: 502-845-5620

Follow signs toward New Castle

They are on the right after you pass the Henry County Country Club.

AGENDA

Committees meet at 11:00 a.m.

POTLUCK LUNCH AT NOON (B-Bque & Chili provided)

so bring side dish, deserts, deserts (did I mention deserts...lol), drinks.

GENERAL MEETING 1:00 P.M.

Presentation on Combined Driving by a CDE Competitor

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a lady that competes locally with a Morgan. She's really well versed in the CDE and has been watching with great interest how the VSE is growing at the events she attends. Tim has been talking with Merridy from WA about all of the miniature horse VSE in your area...maybe you know her?

Hey, that's only 4 hours away. May have to clear the calendar to attend.

Thanks for the information Connie.
default_saludando.gif

Connie Ballard said:
It is a lady that competes locally with a Morgan. She's really well versed in CDE and has been watching with great interest how the VSE division is growing at the events she attends.Tim has been talking with Merridy from WA about all of the miniature horse/VSE in your area...maybe you know her?
Merridy was the first person I met at my very first CDE clinic only a few weeks after I bought Kody.
default_biggrin.png
She's the most wonderful, helpful lady you'll ever talk to and her mare Velvet is class all the way. Kody's had a crush on her for years!
default_laugh.png

We'll be competing this year as the only two Intermediate entries in our area and I'm excited to be in such good company. We're a tight-knit group up here so I think I know just about everyone.
default_wub.png
Hopefully more of you will decide after this seminar to join our ranks!
default_saludando.gif

Leia

Where is New Castle in relation to Lexington? I would love to come, it sounds like an awesome learning opprotunity! I'll have to go bug my driving buddy to come with me. Thanks for the info!!!

It is only about 60 miles west of Lexington so about an hour drive...I ran this mapquest so go bug your driving buddy to come with you! It'll be a fun! New Castle/Lexington

Weather permitting Libby and I will be coming together. I am always on the fence about this meeting, it is a long haul for us, but the speaker will really make it more worthwile to come.

Ah, and finally an excuse to make some reindeer food.

See you there!
default_saludando.gif

I guess Mr Wilson is going to have a shock this spring after a two year break from work, eh?
default_rolleyes.gif

Hey Connie, you could bring those Corgi trophy samples with you and I could have them for my Corgi club meeting in Cinci on the 24th.

Small world Leia!! Merridy invited us out to drive with them in a CDE with her club said she could round-up a horse for us...that would be so much fun and I've never been to Washington state....hmm....sounds so fun!

Boinkey it is free so please do join us! Boinkey you should put one of your carts in the truck in case people would like to see what you make....bring some business cards too...oh...and food...lol lunch is at noon. Our club enjoys a good meal together!

ALSO...the hands on clinic in March here at our farm is free too.

Jody...I am bringing the awards for your Corgi club...Tim did a glass etched award on jaded glass...its very cool. I thought you guys would like to hear this presentation. She met with Tim and Ashley Harris here to discuss CDE...it sounds so neat....really enjoyable thing to do with your driving horses that isnt as stressful or expensive as showing.

Hey...Al...wish you could join us! Arent you involved in CDE (VSE) in your area? I know you have such gorgeous driving vehicles.

Hi Connie,

Yea, we're very involved. I actually wrote up a very long response about how disappointed I was with the response to the CDE clinic I did at our local AMHA club show last year and in general how nonresponsive the mini drivers have been in our area. I am the president of the Houston ADS club and as such really try to push VSE involvement at our events. We really encourage them to attend. I was head of the organizing committee for our DT (HHDT IV) back in November and was very encouraged to get 8 VSE entries. I just erased it and wished you good luck.

Speaking of Merridy and Happs, Susan and I went to their CDE last June and worked as volunteers. It was the most enjoyable event I have ever been to. The people were all great and the weather was georgous. They had 80 entries and 21 were VSE's in spite of the fact that there was a large AMHA show going on up by Seattle. They really get into driving up there. I took over 600 pictures and have them on a CD if you would like a copy. We would like to go again this year if Obama gets me my check on time. They will get you a horse but it's worth the trip just to volunteer.

Oh, can't wait Connie.

Sooooo do you want me to bring my camera? No assumptions for this meeting.
default_rolleyes.gif

Connie Ballard said:
Small world Leia!! Merridy invited us out to drive with them in a CDE with her club said she could round-up a horse for us...that would be so much fun and I've never been to Washington state....hmm....sounds so fun!
We'd love to have you! Between the members of W.O.W and the Evergreen Miniature Horse Club, we certainly know lots of people with horses to spare
default_wink.png
...I think I'm about the only person involved with just one mini.
default_wacko.png
Still, if I can't contribute a horse, I can help you with how to play the game instead!

Connie Ballard said:
She met with Tim and Ashley Harris here to discuss CDE...it sounds so neat....really enjoyable thing to do with your driving horses that isnt as stressful or expensive as showing.
Well, I don't know about not being stressful or expensive but it sure is a lot of fun! I spend every bit as much at a CDE as I do at a breed show and there's a lot of things to remember but at least you don't have to bodyclip unless your horse is too hot and the horses sure enjoy it more. No makeup, no checks, a goal even they can understand (boy they love dodging between those cones!)...yep, it's fun.

Al B said:
Speaking of Merridy and Happs, Susan and I went to their CDE last June and worked as volunteers. It was the most enjoyable event I have ever been to. The people were all great and the weather was georgous. They had 80 entries and 21 were VSE's in spite of the fact that there was a large AMHA show going on up by Seattle. They really get into driving up there. I took over 600 pictures and have them on a CD if you would like a copy. We would like to go again this year if Obama gets me my check on time. They will get you a horse but it's worth the trip just to volunteer.
And we sure loved having you! It was really fun to have VSE people from Texas and the East Coast (Martha Duchnowski came and showed using one of the Whiteman's horses) all at the same event. Only the Californians were missing but they came up to the Inavale CDE in Oregon two weeks later.
default_smile.png

The AMHA show really isn't much competition for Happ's, a lot of the VSE entries in this area are B minis and the rest of us with A minis still much prefer the fun of an open field and high speed to going around a small arena. You'll see a lot of us at the AMHR show the weekend before though!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Thanks so much for the MapQuest! We will be there (as long as the weather doesn't do something unexpected), I'm really looking forward to it!

Sure sounds like a trip to WA would be fun...even without a horse! I'm looking forward to seeing a CDE this year.

It is sure hard to know what interests will be popular in areas isnt it. Like Al's area vs the Washington folks. It reminds me of how Equine Affaire in Ohio tends to be geared more Western type riding and Equine Affaire in Springfield, Mass is more English. Sure there is a blend of each...just kinf of impression I got. I loved Leia's comment about...give me an open field and some speed...lol. I think it would really be fun to get to do the different things with your horse. Like full size horse people that show, taking their horse trail riding. Some have never seen a woods or trail...but they say its good for them mentally...and I can see where that would be very true...like recharging their battery doing different athletic things. My trail horse used to love a section of the park where there were alot of small trees down...we'd 'jump' them one after the other...like doing cones...you could feel him just get into that little game we played cause it was fun for him and made me laugh.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Sunday!

Jody...probably best not to tell Mr. Wilson...just surprise him that he has work to do this spring!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back