CDE vehicles...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTheMini

Reaction score
I am looking for a new cart. I have an EE that just doesn't seem right for my boy (I am really beginning to dislike it with a passion...). I am looking for something that can do both breed shows and CDE. I really want to do CDE's, but right now they are all far away, so we do mainly breed shows (which we are not very good at). I have a idea of what I would like... http://www.katelandfarm.com/index_files/Page2569.htm the ADS style Kateland (scrool down), but this site says it does not ship. I really like the large wheels and the wood. Would this work? There is also the closed wheel breed show cart, is that one better? My boy is about 36" and I am not a little person. I have searched a lot and these are the two that I found that I like the best. I really like the Kateland, with the large wheels and the wood, are there any others out there that are similar links? used? I would really like used...The kateland is slightly over what I am looking to spend, but if it just right I can save a little longer. I don't know how long this really had to be...Basically I am looking for a good cart for breed shows and CDE. Thanks! L

That cart is made by Graber in Indiana as they state and they wiil ship. Kateland sells used carts and they won't ship. Call the number and order your cart and they will ship it to you!

I have the Graber cart that I ordered directly from Graber (812-636-7725) in IN and I love it. I ordered it with bike tires for the show ring, and can add wooden wheels later, because the parts to make it "closed wheel" can be removed. I discussed all this over the phone, along with specifying my colors (black and silver) and the tire sizes.

I really do love the Pacific Smart Cart. It is beautiful enough when appointed with the patent dash and the curved backrest to show in the breed shows (I have seen more than one of them in breed shows up here, and the exhibitors have done well in it), and it will take you as far as you want to go in CDE. Here are some photos of Ally and I in the Parade of Breeds with it "dressed up":

paradeofbreeds07-2.jpg

paradeofbreeds07-1.jpg

Of course if you were showing in a breed show you would probably want to have a skirt on, and a finer harness on your horse. I do think it is a beautiful vehicle.

Here it is with the standard dash on it at a CDE:

lincolncreek07dressage1.jpg

The ride on this vehicle is superb. I will never sell mine. In fact I am also going to purchase some marathon shafts for it sometime soon. It is easy to adjust and balance for the horse. The wheel track is wider and that makes it easier for the horse to pull. Honestly, I think it is one of the very best engineered and manufactured vehicles made for VSEs.

The Kateland model is an excellent choice and what I intend to purchase for myself someday. I agree, buy it direct from Graber. The Pacific is an excellent model but not something I'd ever be comfortable using with a fine harness and with my smaller, less powerful animal I want my cart as light as possible for use in a deep dirt ring. Once you've put pneumatic tires on a Graber, they're about as light as they come!

In using a wooden cart you're sacrificing suspension for looks, but boy will it look nice.
default_yes.gif
The two most attractive things about buying a specialized CDE cart are the improved suspension and wider curved or marathon shafts which make it easier for the horse to maneuver but if you can only afford one cart and want to do both, an open-wheeled show cart is the way to go.

Leia

I don't think we can show with the steel wheels in the breed ring though, right Leia?
You can use the steel wheels in the show ring and we have done so, quite successfully. We showed in our Pacific Carriage at the Oregon Gold and also at the Evergreen Mini show in Spanaway, WA. Judges at both shows were quite complimentary, of the entire turnout.

I am using my Pacific Carriage behind a 32" mini at Happ's this year. After experiencing it's smooth ride, I cannot go back to the pounding I take in a vehicle with less suspension.

We have competed in the Graber as well and found it to be an attractive, serviceable cart.

But I'll never go back to a show type cart across rough ground. Just my opinion, of course...

WOW...
default_new_shocked.gif
Awesome pictures, ClickMini! I've been thinking about/drooling over the Pacific Smart Cart since the first time I saw it. Maybe someday, when I win the lottery...
default_wacko.png

May I ask how tall Ally is? I'm wondering because the Smart Cart is heavier (by 10 or 15 pounds) than others that have been discussed here, and I'm not lightweight either, so I'm guessing my 32" mare would not do well with this cart (she's used to a basic easy entry). On the other hand, I can totally see my 36" gelding put to this cart... Oh, darn, drooling again, sorry...
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't think we can show with the steel wheels in the breed ring though, right Leia?
You can use the steel wheels in the show ring and we have done so, quite successfully. We showed in our Pacific Carriage at the Oregon Gold and also at the Evergreen Mini show in Spanaway, WA. Judges at both shows were quite complimentary, of the entire turnout.

I am using my Pacific Carriage behind a 32" mini at Happ's this year. After experiencing it's smooth ride, I cannot go back to the pounding I take in a vehicle with less suspension.

We have competed in the Graber as well and found it to be an attractive, serviceable cart.

But I'll never go back to a show type cart across rough ground. Just my opinion, of course...
"A" or "R" show ? The rules state "bike tires or wooden wheels are permissible"

I'd like to show in my steel-wheeled cart, my luck I'd get called on it.

Ally is 36.25". I would have no trouble putting my 33" horse to this cart. You just make the adjustments, it looks like a whole different cart when it is set down for a smaller horse. It is so well-balanced, and pulls very easily. The suspension not only helps the driver, it helps the horse. A lot!

Ron Whiteman did use a show harness with his and it looked quite smart. I wish that you Whitemans would post a pic in your show setup. It is beautiful. And by the way, Ron is a big guy! And the minis do not have a difficult time pulling him in it.

OregonGoldSC3.jpg

Here is Buddy at the Oregon Gold Show.

Bandito.jpg

This is Bandito he is 331/2

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither rule book has any clause that states that steel wheels are not allowed. It does not say only bike tires or wooden wheels are allowed. So until it does..... I will be using mine.

Ron

Ally is 36.25". I would have no trouble putting my 33" horse to this cart. You just make the adjustments, it looks like a whole different cart when it is set down for a smaller horse. It is so well-balanced, and pulls very easily. The suspension not only helps the driver, it helps the horse. A lot!

Ron Whiteman did use a show harness with his and it looked quite smart. I wish that you Whitemans would post a pic in your show setup. It is beautiful. And by the way, Ron is a big guy! And the minis do not have a difficult time pulling him in it.
Thanks, ClickMini! The adjustability is one more of the things I like about that cart. Now, to save enough pennies...

Wonderful looking turnouts, ClickMini and Ron!

Neither rule book has any clause that states that steel wheels are not allowed. It does not say only bike tires or wooden wheels are allowed. So until it does..... I will be using mine.

Ron
Actually the "R" rules state under Country Pleasure "Wire or wooden wheels"

I'm going to ask for clarification before I use mine.

The R rules state that bike tires or wooden wheels are permissable. That is saying that those types are allowed, but that wording does not exclude steel wheels.

The wording does not say "Bike tires or wooden wheels must be used". If that wording was used then the steel wheels would be excluded, but with the wording as it is, they are allowable.

That is how I take the rules, and I have asked a recognized judge if the smart cart is allowed, and he read the rules and said there is no rule that excludes the smart cart from either country or open pleasure.

I agree on the wheel question, but would add that I 'suspect' you would be at a 'psychological' disadvantage in many judges' minds if you used a Smart Cart in SINGLE PLEASURE Driving classes, due to the fact that that class is in truth, nowadays, 'modeled' after more of a 'Fine Harness' type class, and a 'country cart' appearance, as is that of the Smart Cart, would be viewed as 'inappropriate' there. The Smart Cart and others of similar appearance should be perfectly FINE in Country Pleasure, AND the 'new' AMHR, and proposed-for-AMHA,

'Western' driving classes.

Just my thoughts....

Margo

That makes sense to me.

I was thinking about using this cart for Western CP.

Because I'm using my open-wheeled cart for CP and it would save the hurried tack change at a couple of shows.

cart027.jpg

Minimor said:
The R rules state that bike tires or wooden wheels are permissable. That is saying that those types are allowed, but that wording does not exclude steel wheels.
The wording does not say "Bike tires or wooden wheels must be used". If that wording was used then the steel wheels would be excluded, but with the wording as it is, they are allowable.

That is how I take the rules, and I have asked a recognized judge if the smart cart is allowed, and he read the rules and said there is no rule that excludes the smart cart from either country or open pleasure.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

That's exactly right. The wording is effectively clarifying that it's okay to use something other than pneumatic tires, not saying what specific wheels are allowed exclusively. I spent WAAAAYY too long studying inclusive and exclusive wording in my debate, logic, and philosophy classes for six years!
default_rolleyes.gif

I agree the Smart Cart is completely acceptable for country or western pleasure classes although I personally would not be comfortable using a show-style breechingless harness with it. I want a good wide saddle, comfortable breastcollar meant for pulling and breeching so the horse can back that heavier cart properly. Kody will back my Graber from the saddle without complaint but he used to throw a real wing-ding when I asked him to back my Edgeman that way and that was a similar weight to the Pacific.

On the plus side, breeching is allowed!
default_thumbup.gif
I'd also be more interested in using a Pacific if I had an Over horse like Ally that was big and powerful regardless of what she's hitched to.

Leia

Sorry I was late getting back to this.

It is mainly the weight that concerned me. There is a 30 Lb. difference between the two carts. The show cart is nice, especially if it can be made open wheeled. I guess its time to put in a call to Graber.

On used carts, are there any good places to look for used carts? I really only know of the LB saleboard, which I check everytime I can.

Thanks! I really think that Magic will enjoy CDE's rather than ring driving. We did our first real 'adventerous' drive and he really seemed to love it and he gave me no problems with all the scarry things.

Latest posts

Back