CDE vehicles...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MagicTheMini said:
It is mainly the weight that concerned me. There is a 30 Lb. difference between the two carts. The show cart is nice, especially if it can be made open wheeled. I guess its time to put in a call to Graber.
That's the wooden wheels and nothing else adding the weight as far as I know. It makes the cart heavy to lift in and out of a truck but doesn't seem to add much for the horse as it's below all the balance points and all the horse has to do is start and slow it. And the larger wheels roll much easier so it pretty much balances out!

15lbs a wheel would be pretty normal I'd think for a 26" or 28" set of wood spokes, rubber rims, hubs, bearings, all that. It's not light! Pneumatics are, after all, air in a tube and don't weigh much.
default_wink.png

Leia

The Smart Cart weighs 115 lbs. The Jerald cart is slightly less but still is over 100 lbs. with the wire wheels. The Graber is in the same range. My Edgeman weighs 130 lbs. with the wire wheels. All weigh more if the wooden or steel wheels are used. I have found that a few pounds difference (even 30) in the weight of the cart has little impact on the horse’s performance. In fact the width of the wheel may be a bigger contributor to the performance than the weight of the cart. The “A” rules do have language about appropriate harness ,vehicle, and such for single pleasure classes. There is nothing in the “R” rules that states that breeching can not be used and would be ok for Country pleasure and Western pleasure Those that want to go all out could also wear an apron. I did use some leather straps to create trace loops as I did not use the breeching. This keeps them from sagging and prevents a chance that the horse could catch a leg over one. I use the same harness in the show ring as I do in the dressage ring for CDE. I just remove the breeching and add the check for the show.

Most miniature horses can handle a load range of around 1 1/2 to 2 times their own weight. So if a horse weighs in at 250lbs., they should have no problem pulling 375 lbs or even slightly more. If the cart weighs 130 lbs , well, I let you all do the rest of the math. Unless you are “magnificently sized” as I am, then most of you will have a great deal of leeway on the weight issues.

Just some thoughts,

Ron

Good thoughts, Ron!
default_smile.png
My Edgeman came in at 119lbs on the vet's scale with wire wheels and I haven't taken my Graber or Bellcrown yet but I'd say the Bellcrown is around 105 or so and the Graber feels much lighter than that with wire wheels. Poor Kody, with those stifles of his even a difference of 10lbs has a noticable impact on his ability to perform so finding the lightest, safest equipment has been a major concern of mine. He seems most comfortable with carts that are 90lbs or below but the only things in that category seem to be Frontiers and Hyperbikes.
default_wacko.png
He weighs 220lbs give or take, I weigh 104.

We're hoping that once the muscles in his hindquarters finish their post-surgical adjustments he will have an improved ability to pull but given his conformation I'm not holding my breath.
default_rolleyes.gif
I love him dearly and he's got a heart bigger than Texas but one thing he's not is built for power! You're absolutely right that most minis are incredibly strong pullers and have no trouble with larger weights.

Gah, sorry Magic. I'm getting off topic! Stopping now. Graber goooood. Graber cheaper than Jerald. Graber liiiigght. Leia tiiiiired. *LOL*

Leia

My point is … A horse of Cody’s size should be able to pull over 150 lbs of cart and a person your size (104 lbs) without a problem. If they can’t, I would be exploring to find the reasons why they can’t or won’t and making some decisions on their suitability to continue driving as a career. We all buy equipment suited to the needs of individual horses and certainly every horse has some uniqueness that has to be accommodated for to meet their needs The difference of 30 lbs for most people should not be a significant factor, just one of many used to make a choice. There is no perfect cart for everything. That is why there are so many choices.

I would not buy a Smart Cart if I were just showing in the breed ring only. It would limit the types of classes and type of horse I would be able to drive. I will continue to use it for Country Pleasure because I have it. I would buy a Smart Cart as the only cart if I were only going to do the CDE and recreational driving activities.

More thoughts,

Ron

I don't care for the smart cart (although Ali could pull the kitchen sink and make it look beautiful) and it is slightly too expensive. I really like the Kateland cart, but the show cart may be just a good (and cheaper)...decisions decisions...

I don't really think that Magic would have a problem pulling an extra 30 Lbs, but he pulls the frontier EE now, so it is an increase.

Any good used cart sites? Thanks! L

OK, let me add to your confusion. Here is another option that we have just purchased and assembled but haven't even had a chance to use yet. It is the show cart with wooden wheels purchased from A Silver Penny Farm A Silver Penny Farm website. It is roughly the same dimensions as our Graber, but weighs more because of the wooden wheels. How much more is unknown as we haven't weighed either cart. It was less expensive than the Graber - especially when you consider the wooden wheels which we still need to get for the Graber - and also not quite as well finished. But it is another option and the price might work better for you.

>>In using a wooden cart you're sacrificing suspension>>

Really does depend on the wooden cart and who makes it. I have ridden in number of carts over the years and now..and I have "yet" to find one as smooth as my Country Road cart and it is wooden.

Some are close but still not quite the "Rolls" ride.

With the bigger wooden wheels and oak dash it weighs 110lbs.

MagicTheMini said:
I really like the Kateland cart, but the show cart may be just a good (and cheaper)...decisions decisions...
I think the two models are a matter of standardized options priced as a package. From what I can tell the Kateland doesn't have roadster stirrups or a patent boot but does have a brass rein rail and the singletree appears to set lower (something I find appealing). I'm sure the overall price difference is a matter of adding and subtracting options just like buying a car. Make a list of features you want or don't want, call Graber (or the manufacturer of your choice for that matter), and see what they'd charge you to make it. You might be able to get the best of both worlds!

Leia

Just posted this site on Leia's VSE forum and thought I might post it here too. This guy will make a mini size of the Teeter Totter, What do you all think of this cart?

My Webpage

I have heard good things about his marathon carriage but do not know anything about his carts. Thought they do not look bad.

What is the weight of his mini TT?

There is an advertisement for the Smart Cart in the AMHA magazine . It advises that the cart is approved by AMHA. Just for those non-believers......

Ron

What is the weight of his mini TT?
I got a email from him this morning he thinks maybe around 120 lbs, he's not sure because he hasnt done one yet. Price would be 2500.00 with powdercoating paint.

Back