CDE Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean in a hazard?

For Training level, you have to go through A-B-C, in that order. Other gates are 'dead' for you--they do not exist. No cantering(or, well, 5 seconds of break to cantering at most), and not timed for penalty points. But if you are in the hazard more than 5 minutes you are eliminated.

For Prelim level, you have to go through A-B-C-D, in that order, and it is timed. You may canter/gallop. Same 5 minute rule applies here.

Out on the marathon course, you can have as many gates as the course designer wishes, but it generally ranges between 10-50 out here.

Hope I answered your question!

Last edited by a moderator:
These are cones with letters A-? with tennis balls on them? I don't recall them being called hazards?

OH you're talking about cones! Sorry, I was confused, as hazards are also called obstacles, and they have lettered "gates" that are more normally referred to as gates, not anything else. Cones has gates as well, but they are normally referred to as "pairs or sets of cones" (ie: you go through cones pair #1, etc).

Cones is a whole different ball game. Cones is a short course consisting of 10-20 pairs of cones, with tennis balls on them, it is timed. Usually, the pairs are numbered 1-20 or however many there are, with the number on a red background on your right (red on right), and a number on white background to the left. You go through in sequence, without going though any other sets of cones. The point is to be clean(no tennis balls or knocked down cones) and under the time set for the course. After that time, you get penalty points for excess time taken.

Usually the number of pairs of cones is, as I said, 10-20, and the time is somewhere between 2 min and 4-5 min. Short and sweet!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back