Caution - Scammers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Sending the warning out that the scammers are out again .... looking to buy a mini.

Heard from a friend that she'd been contacted just before Christmas and then we were a couple of weeks ago.

My husband was back and forth via e-mail with him. He was apparently out of L.A. but his cell phone was text only.

(Larry checked his number)

The guy didn't want to do paypal, just pay by either money order or check. AND he was sending EXTRA to cover

transport. He didn't ask us a whole lot about the mare or discuss our price. LOTS OF RED FLAGS.

Larry informed him that he was going to have to pay for coggins and health check because we were asking for

less than $1000. He dropped off the face of the earth.

PLEASE be careful folks! Listen to your gut.

Usually, money... They say they'll send you a check for more than the amount, and you are to send cash back to them to pay for transport, or pay the transporter cash, then the you find out the check is no good and you are out horse and money (if you fall for it).

I've been at this "game" for over 20 years and have had all kinds of nut cases and strange situations. This is why no horse leaves my property unless I have been paid in full (and the check clears the bank), or if final payment is made at time of pickup - it is in cash.....and NO WAY would I ever allow a buyer to send me extra to cover the transport. That is a contract between the buyer and transporter. I want absolutely no part of it.

I go out of my way to waste as much of their time as I can, right down to getting those money orders that I turn over to the authorities.

Hey, come to think of it I must be on some kind of a black list, haven't been approached for a few years now since I did that!

My biggest fear is someone coming and stealing horses. So when I sell babies in the summer I'm giving them my work address. Then when I feel comfortable, and they really seem like its legit I'll give em my farm address. But people are not trustworthy.

There are to many horror stories

Latest posts

Back