CATS!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Now that it is getting warmer, my cats are hunting more. Why do they have to bring me what they caught? I have been given 3 mice this week alone.

I've heard they do it to show their love for you, like an offering
default_biggrin.png
Plus, I assume you clean up and get rid of what they bring home -- but from the cats' perspective, the disappearance just confirms you enjoyed the snack they provided
default_laugh.png

default_wub.png
because they love you.

Years ago my cat left me two mice under my Christmas tree. I still don't know how they got in my apartment, but that was quite the surprise under my tree.

Kim

I walk through the room and no mouse. I turn around 5 minutes later and there is the mouse, DEAD and no cat. They did bring a live one in and I sent them packin' with it. Still another dead mouse in the middle of the kitchen floor or near my desk in the family room. I just do not like the surprise of turning around and finding a gift I have to dispose of.

No I wouldn't like those surprises either. You never know what's around the corner. Most of mine were from outside cats that would bring them to the back door. If you didn't except it they would take care of it right in the front of the deck doors. That's so gross.

The two that I found under the tree were a huge surprise. They were under the gifts and placed together. Needless to say I was......
default_new_shocked.gif

Well at least your cat catches mice ect. I have one cat and she is an indoor cat. A few years ago we had a mouse trap out on our inclosed deck. She went out there and took out the dead mouse and brought it to me....at least she tried LOL and a few times over the past year I have had a few mice appear in my room...well she doesn't catch them she PLAYS with them. I watched her follow one as it bounced down my stairs and she just batted it around a little bit. She's numb!!! But it's a good thing in a way because I never have to worry with her around my hamsters
default_laugh.png

At least it wasn't a dead baby bunny placed, ever so neatly on your Cats food dish.
default_rolleyes.gif

You are part of their family. They are bringing you food and showing you what great hunters they are
default_yes.gif

To add: If they are hunting mice etc. make sure you deworm for tapes. Barn cats can get infested with tons of nasty things, let alone house cats that are let outside. I do my barn (now) cat with Profender (takes care of tapes) in the Spring and Fall and deworm every month with Revolution from April to October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww...Aren't you lucky? They love you!
default_smile.png
At least it wasn't a snake. My kitty brought one to show me, but it was still alive and got away...in my laundry room!!

AAH tokens of love! My indoor kitties sometimes bring them in alive and let them go in the kitchen! I find out when they are all huddled around the fridge watching intently. Most of the time I just get 1/2 of one. My outside "terminator" kitty brings hers to the horses and leaves them in the stalls, if she doesn't eat them. Gotta love them kitties, they are so thoughtful.
default_wub.png

Mia was hunting in the garage a few months back and brought a mouse into the house, this time live because she wanted to play with it, or share .... but it got loose in the house for awhile and managed to find its way onto the painting I was working on...and peed all over it!
default_wacko.png
nex one painting... ewww...

Man, I wasn't happy to say the least.

The little begger managed to fall into a paper bag we had, so against my better judgement, I let it loose outside.

We should all write a book on the, "Adventures of Cats and the mice they want to share"!
default_laugh.png

I was standing on the porch last week and Monkey brought up a young rabbit that was as big as he was so that I could take care of it. It had been stepped on by one of the horses--poor thing was still alive but barely. He brought it up by the scruff if its neck but once he showed it to me and I said it was hurt too bad he took a "death" bite to his neck. I did take the bunny away and my friend finished the job and disposed of the little guy. Wonder which horse stepped on him--was a perfect rear hoof print where the hair used to be.

At least it wasn't a dead baby bunny placed, ever so neatly on your Cats food dish.
default_rolleyes.gif
I got one of those too. Last year. Only it wasn't dead. I took it away from them and she is going to be released in a few weeks. We have left her be wild as that is what she needs to survive.
default_wink.png

We also have a cat that brings in Quail. That makes a nice mess in the house.

I don’t have that problem in the house. But the decks normally have some gifts. IF they are not left there they leave them in front of my grain bins. Over the years they have left me…..snakes, rabbits, squirrel, shrews, chipmunks, pigeons, and a bunch of other birds. My cats normally eat them though. They won’t eat snake, shrew or chipmunks but the rest is fair game.

Luckily its our barn cats, not the house cats, but they love to hunt gophers (actually they're Richardson's Ground squirrels) and are quite good at it. One day I walked into the barn, all I found was a gopher face looking at me, no body at all.
default_smileypuke.gif
Our house cat that gets outside, likes to bring his kills to the patio, mostly birds.

My mom's old cat brought frogs to the house.

Well at least yours catch mice. I have 2 litter mates who do nothing but sleep and hang around the barn. I honestly think they are confused on what species they are. They sleep with the goats. Roll in the horses hay and groom the rabbits. They follow me around like dogs and "help" with all the barn chores. I really wonder whats so facinateing about sitting in the stall door way watching the pitch fork go up and down into a poop barrel
default_wacko.png
and to top it all off they have so kindly adopted a third cat into our barn. So now I have another cat, a female this time who I'm guessing is the only one who does any type of catching.

Yep, they bring you stuff because you are family and they love you and think you need a snack! They would normally bring this stuff for their babies, but tag, you're it, LOL

My cocker spaniel once brought me a dead RAT. Left it right in the middle of the kitchen floor. What a dog!
default_wub.png

Well at least yours catch mice. I have 2 litter mates who do nothing but sleep and hang around the barn. I honestly think they are confused on what species they are. They sleep with the goats. Roll in the horses hay and groom the rabbits. They follow me around like dogs and "help" with all the barn chores. I really wonder whats so facinateing about sitting in the stall door way watching the pitch fork go up and down into a poop barrel
default_wacko.png
and to top it all off they have so kindly adopted a third cat into our barn. So now I have another cat, a female this time who I'm guessing is the only one who does any type of catching.

So sweet.
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
:wub They just show their love in other ways.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Now that it is getting warmer, my cats are hunting more. Why do they have to bring me what they caught? I have been given 3 mice this week alone.
LOL! I always wonder about that. I'll see my cats catch a mouse or a chipmunk up on the hillside behind the house and before you know it they've dragged it to the patio in front of the patio door where I have to watch them eat the danged things! Ugh!

Maybe they are just fonder of "dining in" than "eating out."

Latest posts

Back