Carts for Very Small Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMMack

Reaction score
Does anybody here have a hyperbike for their Mini's? And if so, do you think that one would work for a VERY small mini (26")??

How wide are they? How tall? Are the shafts adjustable between different horses? We have a very small guy that we would love to be able to train for driving, and the lightweight hyperbikes seem like they could be the answer we are looking for!
aktion033.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Nancy
smile.gif

i have never seen a mini that small! could i see a pic? where did you get him? how much did you pay? how tall were his parents? if you could, pm me thx

desiee.. oh no help w/ your bikes.. i have never headr of them
no.gif
sorry

A hyper bike might be a wise choice if you want to drive an animal that small. They certainly not much on driver comfort IMO. But when you are talking a really small animal your choices are limited because weight is a consideration.

I have a hyperbike, it is a blast:) I drive my 32" gelding in it on trails. The lightweight design allows him the ability to make it up small hills. You can turn on a dime. The adjustable parts are the place for your feet and the height of the cart can be adjusted depending on where the tires attach. It seems like a good lightweight cart for such a small mini, though the shafts could be pretty far apart.

We started driving a shorty 27.25 this spring but what we did was have a scaled down cart made for him special last year and it fits the under 29 guys also. We also had a welder scale down one of the unused older show carts and it came out pretty good fit wise and looks a lot better and balanced on him then a regular one for sure. But the cost for that was a little pricy new or altered. Waiting for Jenn to come do a farm shoot and will hitch him so you can see how good they look scaled to there size.

forgot to add if you get a bike can you let us know how they work for the shorties.

l'd be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Hyperbike, though I have never driven a horse smaller than 32" w/it.

What you may really find that suits your needs is that every Hyperbike is custom built (unless you are buying second hand).

When you order from Robert, you will find he asks you a lot of questions, and likely you will also deal w/Sue Roake, who knows minis very well. Robert is not as "horsey" as Sue, but he does know his stuff building carts.

Sue will help him to find the right dimensions for your particular horse, to make the bike comfortable for both of you.

My horses enjoy my Hyperbike quite well and I find the bike comfortable enough, too. Rarely do I go out for more than a few hours at a time, but even when I do, I am fine w/it. The seats on an easy entry are not any more comfortable, they are less so, but the leg position is quite different.

Liz M.

trigsloughb3ux.jpg

This photo?

This stallion is 33.25" for reference.

I am 5'10" tall.

Liz M.

Relic said:
We started driving a shorty 27.25 this spring but what we did was have a scaled down cart made for him special last year and it fits the under 29 guys also. We also had a welder scale down one of the unused older show carts and it came out pretty good fit wise and looks a lot better and balanced on him then a regular one for sure. But the cost for that was a little pricy new or altered. Waiting for Jenn to come do a farm shoot and will hitch him so you can see how good they look scaled to there size.

forgot to add if you get a bike can you let us know how they work for the shorties.

l'd be interested.

425171[/snapback]

Thank You Relic!
smile.gif

I have researched some of the smaller carts, and I know Jim Dingman makes one for VSE's (Very Small Equine's) that looks really sweet;

http://www.dotnet.com/~lignite/

but it looks like the hyperbike may be even lighter and more easy to manuver. I am lucky enough to be married to a welder (Leather Worker too!) so maybe if I am very, very nice to him, he may be able to fabricate a smaller version of the cart and harness for our little Hot Shot too!

I can't wait to see your pics! I would be very interested to hear too, how he does pulling for you!

Thank You for your help!
yes.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

nootka said:
I love my Hyperbike, though I have never driven a horse smaller than 32" w/it.What you may really find that suits your needs is that every Hyperbike is custom built (unless you are buying second hand).

When you order from Robert, you will find he asks you a lot of questions, and likely you will also deal w/Sue Roake, who knows minis very well.  Robert is not as "horsey" as Sue, but he does know his stuff building carts.

Sue will help him to find the right dimensions for your particular horse, to make the bike comfortable for both of you.

My horses enjoy my Hyperbike quite well and I find the bike comfortable enough, too.  Rarely do I go out for more than a few hours at a time, but even when I do, I am fine w/it.  The seats on an easy entry are not any more comfortable, they are less so, but the leg position is quite different.

Liz M.

425183[/snapback]

Thank You Liz!!!
aktion033.gif

MAN! That looks like FUN!!!!! Ok, we are close to the same height, and looks like weight, but I seriously doubt that you are as old as I am - are they hard to sit with your legs up like that? Does it kill your back at all?? You look like you are having some serious FUN! It may be worth some small backaches, and swearing to get the ol' legs heaved up that high!!! LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for your help and the pictures!
yes.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

lucyem said:
I have a hyperbike, it is a blast:)  I drive my 32" gelding in it on trails.  The lightweight design allows him the ability to make it up small hills.  You can turn on a dime.    The adjustable parts are the place for your feet and the height of the cart can be adjusted depending on where the tires attach.  It seems like a good lightweight cart for such a small mini, though the shafts could be pretty far apart.
425168[/snapback]

Thank You Lucy!
biggrin.gif

These are sounding more and more like just what we need, and we want to take him out so that he can have fun too! Thank You for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate it!
aktion033.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

justaboutgeese said:
A hyper bike might be a wise choice if you want to drive an animal that small.  They certainly not much on driver comfort IMO.  But when you are talking a really small animal your choices are limited because weight is a consideration.
425135[/snapback]

Thank You!
smile.gif

Yes, we would like to keep the vehicle as light as possible, as he is so small, and at my age, I am just NOT going to lose this darned extra weight!!!
giveup.gif
Thank You for your thoughts JustAboutGeese!
yes.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

I started checkngout this type of cart after your post this morning They look nice. Here are some dimentions

Frame Length 49"

Shaft Length 45"

Overall Length 94"

Cart Width 34"

Cart Height 31"

Ground Clearance 9"

Cart Weight 80 lbs

Turn Radius Variable to 0"

Shaft Adjustment 28" to 40"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the link, http://home.pacifier.com/~carriage/gccartdm.html

They have one with a back that is moor than 4 inches high look comfortable to me.

I am 37, now, and have had my Hyperbike since '99. I've been through two pregnancies w/it and it never got uncomfortable for me.

I think if you do have issues w/your legs and getting them in that position, you might want to rethink the choice.

I do have a friend that is handicapped and she has her helper put her legs in the stirrups and she is fairly comfortable, I think.

I've never really gotten a backache from riding in the cart, not like I got from the easy entry, but because I am taller, it seems to hit me in a bad spot. The Hyperbike actually has a pretty comfortable seat. They are using a new type that is even nicer, I hear. They have a couple of options for seats and again, each bike is custom, so talking with Robert and Sue would likely have you able to determine if you can manage this type of vehicle and whether or not it would work.

I love mine. I love the flexibility and ease of use among other things.

I am not sure of the weight limit, but I've had at least 350 lb. on mine w/combined riders (sitting in lap).

Liz M.

Cart Weight 80 lbs
I doubt this is the Hyperbike they are referring to. Mine weighs more like 26 lb.

The race version can weigh less than 20, I believe.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back