Carting accident

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any direct wreck experience to share, except to say that I'm sorry that happened and it sounds scary! But it also sounds like she was OK afterwards (mentally) so it was probably as your vet said something stung her. Sometimes when they start bucking for one reason, they kind of scare themselves and then buck more because they are freaked out and then if more things touch them that they don't expect while they are bucking, they might kind of panic.

The one thing I will say is that I added a kick strap to Rowan's harness after it became apparent that bucking was his go-to for just about any reason. His bucking has diminished considerably with further training but I'm leaving the strap in place. He's only tried bucking one time with it on and stopped as soon as he realized it wasn't getting him anywhere. It has also helped my confidence because I don't have to worry about getting kicked (I have a Hyperbike so he's RIGHT THERE) and so I feel more confident about sending him forward assertively which of course is the best remedy for bratty-type bucking. Andy Marcoux of Coachman's Delight has a blog post about properly selecting and fitting a kick strap so that it's actually functional, which I found helpful. I got one that has snaps on the ends so it only adds an extra couple of seconds to the hitching process.
I got my kicking strap fitted, had to install footmans loops to the shafts. Looks like it works and fits properly

The singing and laughing advice you've received is spot on! Here's part of the why: you can't hold your breathe while you're singing. Laughing makes your muscles jiggle.😂

In your pictures, she seems to be a sensible mare. My impression is that she's a bit hyper-tuned to you. What I mean by that is she's inclined to take her behavior cues from you. She's got her ears back and is quite tense.

She's also a bit peeved about the kick strap.🤭

If she's wanting to scoot out from under you and run, you could try harnessing her up and cantering her while ground driving. Is she wanting to run as soon as you hook up? After you start walking? From the trot?

Also, when you hooked her up at the end of September and she did alright wasn't that with a different cart? Is it possible that when you hooked to your repaired cart that the balance or draft or something has changed?

Honestly, that last tense--and a bit crabby--posture in the last photo really makes me think she's peeved about something. As if she's saying, "I don't know why you don't trust ME anymore, I'm a good girl. 😤"

Edited to add: I did go back and look at the pics again close-up (on my cell.) It seems you have it adjusted tighter than the hip straps for your breaching. It looks as if the hip straps are floating on top of her fluffies while the kick strap is pressed down right to skin. Maybe loosen her up one hole, at least on one side and see how she does?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, the kick strap looks too tight to me. It may really push on her especially going up or down hills. It's only meant to really keep them from getting their butt up high enough to actually kick you or get a leg over the shaft. So it shouldn't engage unless they are doing funny business. :)

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions. Sunni and I have gotten out 3 times since Thursday, almost 20 miles in those 3 days. We had our moments of her being scared, and me being scared, but we have come a long way. We did the singing, and also just unloading my troubles by talking to her. That helped immensely. We made it to our ride, was able to chat with all of our friends on their riding horses. We have a long ways to go to get our confidence back, but we are on our way again!

Attachments

• 20211016_153722.mp4
    33.9 MB
Yay!!!! That is great news. I couldn't get the video to work but that may just be my country bumpkin internet. I'll try again later.
So happy for you guys! 👍

Latest posts

Back