Cart styles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is a easy entry cart suitable for use all aspects of a CDE or is a sulky type design better for the marathon and cones?

Thanks,Anna

You have to use the same cart for dressage and cones so the only place you can use a sulky type is on marathon. Your best bet is to start with an easy entry for everything and later if you want to move up the levels you can buy more specialized carts to suit your needs.

Leia

Great thanks for that Leia, sorry it took me so long to respond, I was away yesterday. I have an easy entry cart and I'm please to hear it is suitable for all aspects. Is there any modifications you would recommend? I have only driven my cart on a very level area and am a bit well chicken to go anymore "off-road" I haven't driven my horse in britching yet, I imagine it would be essential when travelling over hill areas? Any advice would be muchly appreciated! :DOH!

Thanks

Anna

If your easy entry is wire wheeled I would look at changing the wheels on it to solid or wood. At the very least no flat tire tubes will help. You should also check with your CDE's to see what they allow.

If you are driving anything but flat (and even then really) you should have breeching on if you don't have brakes on your cart.

My cart has wire wheels and I've already had an incident with a tyre popping, luckily I got more of a fright than my horse did. :DOH! So solid tyres sound good. I'll have to try and sourse some here in NZ, would I need to sourse then from somewhere that sells carts and harness etc or can you substitute solid tyres from other places like, I don't know, bike stores or something?. Yes I am keen to start driving him in breeching. I have questions reguarding breeching too but I better start a new thread! Thanks so much for your advice MiLo Minis and Leia.

Anna
default_smile.png

Anna, send me an email will you? I've got an article in the editing stages that might help you and another couple of resources for your geographical area. My email address is Spyderwind @ aol . com (no spaces) and if it bounces just try again tomorrow night when I've had a chance to clear my inbox. Thanks!

Leia

My cart has wire wheels and I've already had an incident with a tyre popping, luckily I got more of a fright than my horse did. :DOH! So solid tyres sound good. I'll have to try and sourse some here in NZ, would I need to sourse then from somewhere that sells carts and harness etc or can you substitute solid tyres from other places like, I don't know, bike stores or something?. Yes I am keen to start driving him in breeching. I have questions reguarding breeching too but I better start a new thread! Thanks so much for your advice MiLo Minis and Leia.

Anna
default_smile.png
You can always use the solid rubber inserts. I have a pair in my easy entry. I think they're called No-Mor Flats.

http://www.horsecart.com/innertube.html

The above link gives info on these.

Anna
default_smile.png
Bike wheels are not really good for driving. They aren't built to withstand the sideways torque that can be applied when driving. If they are wire they tend to collapse, they just fold in half.

Those No-Mor flats look really good Vickie, I'll get in contact with them and find out if they have suppliers here in NZ or how much it would cost to send them over. I wouldn't imagine it would be too much as they would only be very light. Thanks for letting me know about the bike wheels Milo Minis I didn't know that and its a very scary thought having your wheel fold in half as you are driving
default_new_shocked.gif
. There is enough other things to be worried about! Leia I'll get an email sent off to you asap, the info sounds great!

You know with all the people interested in harness, wouldn't it be great if there was a Forum for harness questions, photos, articles etc! (just a thought lol)

Anna
default_yes.gif

You know with all the people interested in harness, wouldn't it be great if there was a Forum for harness questions, photos, articles etc! (just a thought lol)

Anna
default_yes.gif
I'll second that!!

Question for those who do use the tire inserts, How hard were they to install?

Anna
default_yes.gif
I'll second that!!

Question for those who do use the tire inserts, How hard were they to install?
It really wasn't bad. You use soapy water to make it all slide in and then it will make squeaky noises until it all dries up. If I were to do again, I would wipe some of the water up before I finished pushing the tire back on the rim. :DOH! It did dry up after about what, a month. It was funny, people kept looking at me like, where is that noise coming from ?
default_blush.png
Even after it's dry it makes a different sound than a regular tire but I can run around the pasture without a flat and I'm glad I bought them.

Latest posts

Back