Cart Storage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm2

Reaction score
I do not have a show cart as of yet but will someday. I am curious since they are wood, and even in a cart cover thing where is it safe to store? I have a nice shed but we wondered with our AZ summer temperatures if the heat would have negative effects on it? Also do you have to treat the wood with something periodically or not? Am just terrified of spending all that money on one only to ruin it with bad storing. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

My Country road cart is stored in the garage. Have a special stand made for it to hold the shafts up properly.

Thank you, the differing temperatures don't seem to have any effect on the wood? Does the wood ever need treated on the show carts? I see some people putting them in the cart cover, bag things and then storing them on end with the shafts up, is that a bad way to store?

I see some people putting them in the cart cover, bag things and then storing them on end with the shafts up, is that a bad way to store?
That's how I store mine, standing in the barn aisle most of the time. Our summers are pretty hot and it doesn't seem to hurt it. My only issue is with my barn kitties who have taken to peeing on the cart cover...

it's rather fragrant right now and I'm wondering how to wash it! :eek:

Jan

I see some people putting them in the cart cover, bag things and then storing them on end with the shafts up, is that a bad way to store?
That's how I store mine, standing in the barn aisle most of the time. Our summers are pretty hot and it doesn't seem to hurt it. My only issue is with my barn kitties who have taken to peeing on the cart cover...

it's rather fragrant right now and I'm wondering how to wash it! :eek:

Jan
Uh-oh!! :new_shocked: Naughty kitties!!! I guess that the covers are not machine washable. I wonder if a pet odor remover from Petsmart or something and washing it with the garden hose and hanging out to dry would work. Maybe handwash in the tub or something with soapy water and the deoderizer stuff. Heck, I don't know. Maybe a thought. Thanks for the info!

I wash my cart covers in my washing machine with cold water and regular detergent....then hang them on a fence to drip dry...they come out great. If your machine tub isnt big enough...try the large ones at a laundry mat. I wouldnt dry the cover...dont know if that would shrink them or not.

If your machine tub isnt big enough...try the large ones at a laundry mat.
Yep, just dreading that trip to the laundromat LOL. Used to sneak in with the dirty big horse blankets. :bgrin

Jan

My mother had a tenant that had 10 cats and no litter box. No she didn't know about this until the "person" flooded the apartment.

After we had her evicted we had to "try" to clean the place and get rid of the cat odor. If you go to a janitorial store there is a product called "Liquid Alive". It does take the cat odor out of just about anything, wood, tile, fabric, etc. I have added it to the laundry and it is great.

Good Luck,

Robin

Well, we got tired of our show cart being in the dining room, so we moved it into the bedroom! :lol:

It has it's cover on it and is propped up with the shafts up the wall.

We had our easy entry in the barn but the mice ate the leather straps.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I store my Houghton and a fancy easy entry wooden cart I have in a shed with covers on them. That's actually where I store my two metal easy entry work / fun carts but w/o a cover. I would not store them in the same place as feed is kept.

My carriages(I have 4(edited to say-miscounted, it's 5; one is 'big horse' sized) two wheelers, 3 four wheelers)are all stored in my insulated barn, under cover(I have swallows in the summer, and dust all year round!)! The one Jerald I still have is in its Jerald-made cover, two of the four wheelers have a 'drop on' cover, the others are covered with old sheets and, on top of that, plastic sheets or those blue poly tarps. A well-ventilated area is importanct, and, it is a good idea not to cover one directly with plastic or poly; if there is any humidity, especially if in a small, close area, the cover may 'sweat' underneath, and can damage the finish of either a wooden OR a metal cart. Some two wheelers can be stored with the shafts in the air; it kind of depends on what it 'rests on' when placed in that position. I always make sure that I place a short piece of 2x4, or an old saddle pad, or some such, under where the cart will 'rest' when placed vertically.

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of cart covers... has anyone ever made their own.

Just wondering....

Joyce

Jen and I both have nice new Tough Sheds where we live, but they get pretty toasty in the summer time. I dont know HOW hot, but pretty hot, though clean and dry. I am just wondering if this is going to be too hot for a show cart? My easy entry I just keep out in the shed, which is open, but not a place I would want to keep a show cart!!

Do you think finding a place in the house would be better? (oh great, something else to take up room inside!)

Speaking of cart covers... has anyone ever made their own.

Just wondering....

Joyce

Yep, I have a good friend that made a couple of cart covers out of sleeping bags! Of course she cut them up and sewed them together, and they worked great. I personally would have no clue how to do such a thing, (don't sew, lol) but she is very talented. It's very possible to do.
default_smile.png

My easy entry and show carts I keep in the barn aisle in the summer, and in the bigger horse trailer (in the horse area) in the winter. I don't think that summer heat alone will damage a show cart. You do want to be sure that cats or other animals aren't getting inside the cover to wreak havoc on the cart.
default_smile.png

Anyone ever gotten to a show and uncovered your show cart, only to find that the cat had been getting inside and sleeping (and SHEDDING) on the seat cover?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back