Cart sharing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
I’ve already got a 12-2 HH (50”) gelding I’m getting trained to drive, but our new mini will be here soon too. She’s too young to know exactly how tall she’ll be (dad is 41” & mom is smaller, but I’m not sure how much). However, we’re still in the market for a cart for the gelding I already own.

Is it possible to have 1 cart that will fit both the mini and the pony or am I definitely going to have to have 2 carts?

Should I get as small a cart as the pony can pull and hope the filly grows to be big enough to handle it, or just get a good fit for the pony and address the mini at a later date?

If you get a small wagon style cart, you will have more wiggle room as far as height of the ponies since the shafts don’t need to be level. Adjustable telescoping shafts would be ideal. Width might be an issue if there’s a big difference. In that case you may need to buy a pair of shafts for each pony and switch them out as needed.

I'm not sure you could get a two wheeled vehicle that a 40"-ish pony and a 50" pony could share.

I have a 37" miniature horse mare that pulls my Kingston Saddlery cart:
deluxecollar.jpg
And her son who is a 40" small pony pulls this same cart but I have put different shafts on it:
zorrineasyentrybalanced.jpg

And I have a small pony that is almost 42" tall that pulls this same cart:
handsomemikeysmall.jpg
This is the miniature horse cart with the 53" curved shafts. In the top and the bottom photo you can see the shafts that came with the cart. I upgraded to a set of shafts from Patty's Pony Place that I found for sale on Facebook and LOVE them. They would be more adjustable for the bigger pony BUT you will run into balance issues with the cart. For this specific cart I would not drive a bigger pony than my 42" pony because, I can't get the floor level when he is hitched to the cart. It's not horrible but not right either. This cart fits the other two well. There is a 5" difference between my mini mare and the biggest small pony and that is a lot actually. (though my harness fits all three very well as it has lots of adjustments!)

The Hyperbike is known for being very adjustable between pony sizes, but isn't made for ponies over 44" tall. So that one is out as well.

It does seem that a 4 wheeled vehicle would be your best choice, but you will have to be very careful on the weight of the vehicle. Your bigger pony will be able to pull more weight easier than your smaller pony.

Latest posts

Back