Cart "repair" question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I found a cart in my area thats very cheap, they are asking $75. It appears solid (I would double check that if we go see it) but it does need paint, and the seat reupholstered. The one thing I did notice on it is that it dosent have a single tree. It has a "hook" on each side by where the shafts attach. Is it possible to add a single tree to a cart? I know I can buy them, but dont know if you can ad one if the cart didnt have one to begin with. I'm sure we can do all of the other repairs on the cart, just not sure about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can. You'll need to add a bracket to hold the singletree (usually available from the same place selling the singletree) and have somewhere to screw the bracket into where the ends of the singletree can swing freely, but that's all you need.

Leia

Add a couple of nylon dog collars to that, one for either side of the singletree to prevent it from swinging too far, just enough to allow for easy shoulder movement.

If you know someone who welds, you can easily put one on. Its basically an upside down L bracket that the single tree fits into. So you'd weld it center on your cart, drill a hole in the center of the bracket and the cart brace. Then put in a pin that would hold singletree to bracket and cart. And since you're going to paint the cart anyways, you can just paint that right along with everything else.
default_smile.png
Hubby makes my single trees. He just traced mine, cut it out and then did lots of sanding to get it just right. Be careful on the ends as that wood can break easy when you're drilling holes. But you can get by with little cost if you're inventive.
default_biggrin.png

We've refinished quite a few carts. So we cut corners cost wise by doing a ton of stuff ourselves. I shop the fabric clearance sections to get that vinyl/faux leather type fabric for the seats (can't think of what its called). Sometimes you can find large rolls. I do all the sanding and we spray paint it ourselves (or we've taken paint off of wood and refinished it with black pinstriping and lacquored the rest). Takes lot more time, but you can get a nice cart with a little elbow grease.
default_smile.png

I went and got the cart today. The lady measured wrong, and I took her word for it and didnt measure before we brought it home, my shafts are 56" long from the front of the basket. They really didnt look that long, but I measured when I got home and they are. They are 17" apart at the narrowest part, 37" at the widest. My uncle (welds and metal fabricator) walked up (hes also my neighbor) and said he can probably cut them down and rebend them if needed, if there isnt a reason horse wise it shouldnt be done. It is solid, just ugly (some surface rust and lots of peeling paint, and I need to make a new seat. It has 20" wheels, and is balanced very well. Hopefully we can fix it to work at local open shows, but if not, I talked the lady down to $65 for it and hubby and I have lots of fun running each other through the yard with it.

Anywhere, here is the new project.

DSCI1020.jpg

DSCI1021.jpg

DSCI1022.jpg

I just thought that I would post that I think that it is a heck of a find for $65! I think that it has a lot of potential. I hope that you post pictures of it when you are finished with it.

I really hope that I can make it work, the shaft lengths have me worried that I would be able to make them fit Domingo without somehow messing up the cart balance or something. It's my first cart, so Im not sure if you can just cut back the shafts and whatnot.

How tall is he? I dont think the shaft lengths are a huge issue I do not remember him being very tiny?

Keri, have you ever refinished a cart that was metal? If so, what have you found to be the best method for removing the rust? We were thinking either a wire wheel on a grinder, or sent to be sandblasted.

Also, to anyone, would you sand and repaint the "basket" or replace it with stained wood slats? I don't think there's any way to make a patent boot for it and attach it.

The shafts may not be much of a problem; we drive our 34" horses in 54" shafts and it works just fine. It does mean that you will likely have to get trace extenders for your harness. Most Mini harnesses have traces that are meant for 48" shafts. If you want to use longer ones you either have to buy extenders or have custom made traces.

Hubby makes my single trees. He just traced mine, cut it out and then did lots of sanding to get it just right. Be careful on the ends as that wood can break easy when you're drilling holes.
If you cut your square piece of wood to length, width, height first, THEN drill the holes in the ends THEN shave the ends down and sand you don't have to worry about breaking the narrow ends trying to drill them. It is also easier to get the holes drilled when you are working with a square piece of wood that will lay flat and firm.

Also, to anyone, would you sand and repaint the "basket" or replace it with stained wood slats? I don't think there's any way to make a patent boot for it and attach it.
If the metal floor/dash piece can be removed without destroying the cart or its frame, I would do that if I were you. You could make a patent boot for it. I bought a (new) easy entry cart a couple of months ago; it has wood on the floor and dash and the backrest is removeable and I am going to make a patent boot for it and turn it into a mock show cart. Being "crafty" and being able to sew on a sewing machine would definitely help you out here. For a removeable boot, strategically sew velcro strips along the corner seams of the boot so that you can pull it on around where the axle passes under the cart and out to the wheels and where the floor/dash attaches to the frame. For a permanent boot, hand stitch up from around where the axle passes under the cart and out to the wheels and around where the floor/dash attaches to the frame. I bought a Miniature Horse show cart, but, for my first few (practice) shows, I am going to use the modified easy entry cart instead of my show cart. I am going to continue to use the modified easy entry cart at all fun/local/county fair shows and I am only going to use the show cart at rated shows.

If the metal floor/dash piece can be removed without destroying the cart or its frame, I would do that if I were you. You could make a patent boot for it. I bought a (new) easy entry cart a couple of months ago; it has wood on the floor and dash and the backrest is removeable and I am going to make a patent boot for it and turn it into a mock show cart. Being "crafty" and being able to sew on a sewing machine would definitely help you out here. For a removeable boot, strategically sew velcro strips along the corner seams of the boot so that you can pull it on around where the axle passes under the cart and out to the wheels and where the floor/dash attaches to the frame. For a permanent boot, hand stitch up from around where the axle passes under the cart and out to the wheels and around where the floor/dash attaches to the frame. I bought a Miniature Horse show cart, but, for my first few (practice) shows, I am going to use the modified easy entry cart instead of my show cart. I am going to continue to use the modified easy entry cart at all fun/local/county fair shows and I am only going to use the show cart at rated shows.
Can you email pics when you are done to [email protected] I am not crafty at all but will see if someone can do that for my cart from pictures and your description if you dont mind it would be greatly appreciated

Pictures of your removable boot would be great.

the metal can come off, its tack welded to the frame, and its actually loose in some areas, if I kept it on, it was going to need re welded in some areas. The basket of my cart is a little wider than your average show cart, Id say almost as wide as an easy entry cart. What size wood slats do I need to use to make them strong enough? My family told me they arent sure if the wood is going to be strong enough if somehow someone steps on it with their weight. I didnt think I was supposed to actually put all my weight down when getting in, I just sit down, flip my legs in the basket, and off hubby runs lol.

How far back are the footmans loops supposed to be from the front of the shafts?

How far apart are your shafts at the narrowest and widest part?

I'm ultimately going to replace the bike tires that are on it, for one they arent nice bike tires, then someone painted them white with a brush, and some spoked are missing. As long as they will fit I'm just going to get some 24" cart tires.

My smallest horse is 34", my other horse is 36" and I dont really ever intend on getting a tiny horse.

Yeah, I refinished a couple metal carts. One was an EE and the other was a show cart. I just took the hand sander to it and sanded everything down smooth (think they sell special metal sand paper??? Hubby always bought it. If not, I think the fine stuff will do. Anything rough will leave scratches in the metal). Takes a lot of work, but it works. Then we primered and then spray painted. Be sure not to buy the cheap spray paint. Spend the money for the nice stuff and it'll last tons longer. Hubby would take them apart and then hang the peices from the rafters of the barn. So we could spray evenly and have them look nice. It took us a couple weeks to do the metal carts and over a month to take the paint off of an older jerald and refinish it.

That's a heck of a deal for $65!!!! Congrats on the find!!!!
default_saludando.gif

When recovering the seats, and making boots do you think it would look better to use the very shiny stretch pvc fabric, or the less shiny, almost matte vinyl. I think the pvc could be more taylored looking as it will stretch and can be fitted better, but the vinyl is thicker. Does anyone know if they make the stretch pvc in a thicker weight?

If you are going to use it for show, I would find the shiny stuff for the boot. It looks nicer and cleans up easy. I would not cover the seat in anything shiny. That stuff tends to be slick and when its slick, you slide.
default_laugh.png
I used a vinyl on mine like they use on motorcycle seats.

"How far back are the footmans loops supposed to be from the front of the shafts?

How far apart are your shafts at the narrowest and widest part?"

I just got a new EE cart with 54 in shafts and here are my measurements.

Footmans loop 20 1/2 inches(center) from front shaft end

Narrowest part 17 inches

Widest part 26 inches, but I was told when I asked this question that the width at the back isn't an issue.

Hope that helps a little

Well, I never got around to doing this cart last year, but Im hoping to get it done within the next few weeks. Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just bring this one back.

Ive found a place online where I can buy the single tree affordable, so I think im just going to order one.

I found a place that has them available from 22" - 38" for $11.50 What size do I need? My cart is 37" wide, and it will be used for a 34" and 36" horse.

Also, the seat does not have springs under it, is there a way to add them? I will be making a seat, since right now it has a piece of plywood.

I think that the shafts are going to be way too long for my horses, neither is very long in the body, and they dont have a super long stride. For a 34" horse and a 36" horse, would you do a 52" shaft? The current shafts are 56", but are metal so can be cut off at the front. I don't know why the cart is so wide, or the shafts so long. Its a manufactured mini cart, and there's no way it would fit a pony.

Our plan is to remove the metal basket, and replace it with wooden slats. When Im feeling adventurous I'll attempt to make a mock patent basket for over it. For the time being, it would be used with the wooden basket. It would just be used at open and fair shows, where most people are showing in an easy entry, and at the nicest, the "mock" meadow brook carts. How wide should the slats be for the floor, and any ideas on a stain color? I prefer rich colored wood over natural wood, but know it might clash with some horses.

Back