cart question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
I was wondering how much space is considered normal between the cart and the horse when the horse is standing square in harness? I have driven fullsized horses in the past but can't visualize the mini thing well. I am trying to determine the shaft length needed for a mini with a body length of about 39 inches if that helps.

Thanks for you time.

You want the shafts at the point of the shoulder and enough clearance between haunch and cart to make sure there is NO possibility of the horse's heels hitting the cart. Other than that, you want them short enough that they will look neat and tidy and not like you are trying to keep the horse away from you with a ten foot pole. :lol:

I know a standard length for minis is 48", don't ask me where that's measured from.

Leia

the measurement of the shafts are taken from the tips of the shaft to the crossbar of the cart (where the single tree is on the cart..the bar infront of the person that the basket connects to). Jerald sells carts with i beleive 46", 48", and i beleive a 52". I can't remember what houghton was. I've found most of my horses can easily go in a 48/49 shaft. the larger mini's a a little tighter..but none are restricted in movement (by being too close).

It all depends on what size your mini is really.

I had to measure up a friends horse I harness trained this summer (the cart she sent down with her...well, lets just say she did not need any harness it just sort of stuck to her!!)

The mare was 33" to the withers and the shafts I used on her were 52"- I recommended a minimum of 48" once she was steady in harness. A lot would depend on how quiet the horse is as I have stuffed a 14.2hh mare in a gig made for a 13.2hh and got away with it because the mare was so well trained- the gig was nearly touching her bum, though, in spite of breeching- I would NOT do that with an untrained horse!!!!

I have the luxury of adjustable shafts on my cart, so I started off with 52" and then took her back to 48" just before she went home- there is NOTHING up sets a young horse quicker than being whacked up the backside by a cart- hence the need to use breeching, and get the distance right.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back