Cart help please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minidreamz0581

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a cart dilemma, and any input would be appreciated! So, my parents are generously offering their semi-broke newlywed daughter two wonderful Christmas present options...either a Hyperbike, or a new (less expensive) easy entry cart and a new harness. I’m having a lot of trouble making a decision. Here’s some info:

My mini: Coady, my amazing 9 year old, 37” tall, ‘pleasantly plump’ gelding. He’s fine with walking while driving...but he loves to canter. He can be a little fiery if he hasn’t been exercised in awhile, but nothing major. He’s a brave and bold little guy who’s greatest joy in life is food.

My current cart: a Kingston wood floor EE with 27” metal wheels with hard rubber on them.

My goals: Coady and I both prefer trails and fields to driving on roads. We have a nice little park just down from the house and if we’re road driving that’s where we go....but there are several nice trails that are just a short trailer ride away that I want to drive on. I need a nice cart that will be comfortable and safe on the trails. Weight is also a factor...I hope to lose at least 20lbs by spring, but right now I’m a very chubby 180. Coady is not currently in the best shape...I’m hoping to improve that soon. Due to the current conditions and the fact that is is very hilly in our area of PA, a lighter weight cart would be preferable. Also, I need something that is very comfortable to ride in because I have lower back problems. (To the point that it’s quite possible that I won’t be able to ride my Paint horse anymore. I’m making frequent visits to the chiropractor to try to help this)

I practically despise my current cart...it’s ok at a walk on terrain that is the flattest of flat, but going off road or trotting is practically murder on my back. I’m able to balance it so that the weight isn’t on Coady’s back, but the cart is rather difficult to pull for me with no one in it, so I’m imagining it’s a lot of work for my little guy. The cart weighs roughly 130 and feels very heavy and clunky.

So, my top choices for a new cart are the Hyperbike, or a somewhat lower end EE (I’m leaning toward a Frontier...they have nice heavy duty wheels instead of ugly spokes) with a new suspension from Patty’s Pony Place. I like the Aerocrown, but the price with shipping is too high.

I’ve only ever had easy entry carts, so the Frontier feels like a safe choice. At 80lbs it’s pretty light all in all. The suspension kit will add a little weight, but I don’t think it will add enough weight to be a problem. I’m always by myself when I drive, so easy entry is nice if I have to hop out quickly.

The Hyperbike seems like it would be perfect for my needs, but it feels like a gamble. An expensive gamble. I’m worried that the position that you sit in will hurt my back. Then there is Coady to consider...he’s pretty good all in all around his hindquarters and I would LOVE to be able to just reach up and pat him, but I’m not sure what he would think about having me right behind him like that. The 30lb weight of the Bike would be wonderful for me when I’m moving it around and nice and light for him on hills and trails, but I’ve read that the lack of weight can be a problem for horses who tend to be on the hot side. It looks weird, but that no biggie. One random thing though...I’m not going to like it when he poops! If there is anyone in PA who has a Hyperbike that they wouldn’t mind me trying, please message me! If I could just try one out, I would at least be able to tell if it would hurt my back. If I know it won’t hurt me, then I would say the bike would be worth the gamble, even if it means I don’t get a new harness right away.

If anyone has any input or suggestions to help me with my decision, I would really appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

Hi! I bet someone will be on to post about their experiences with hyperbikes. I don't have any experience with them, but I do have a Kingston cart just like yours and found it hurt my back. I thought it was just me, as I have arthritis, but the cart was contributing to my issues and I didn't know it until I tried another cart. I recently bought a used easy entry cart that looks to be made by G and S Carts and it is SO much better for me. It has much more leg room. The balance and weight distribution is much better for my mini too, he finds it much easier to pull. My mini is 34 inches and just fits in this cart, so I am not sure if yours would fit or if they make a B size cart. I just though I would mention the G and S cart as an alternate option.
Whatever you decide on, enjoy your Christmas gift!

ETA: I was typing this when Marsha posted, she has a nifty sulky! Another member has a sulky too, IIRC.

Last edited:
I think, for how you intend to drive, the hyperbike would be a great choice. I feel so much more secure in my sulky, right up behind the horse. Center of gravity is very good, better than an EZ cart.

Thank you for the advice! I ordered my Hyperbike today :)

Hi! I bet someone will be on to post about their experiences with hyperbikes. I don't have any experience with them, but I do have a Kingston cart just like yours and found it hurt my back. I thought it was just me, as I have arthritis, but the cart was contributing to my issues and I didn't know it until I tried another cart. I recently bought a used easy entry cart that looks to be made by G and S Carts and it is SO much better for me. It has much more leg room. The balance and weight distribution is much better for my mini too, he finds it much easier to pull. My mini is 34 inches and just fits in this cart, so I am not sure if yours would fit or if they make a B size cart. I just though I would mention the G and S cart as an alternate option.
Whatever you decide on, enjoy your Christmas gift!

ETA: I was typing this when Marsha posted, she has a nifty sulky! Another member has a sulky too, IIRC.

Thank you for the advice! I checked out the G&S carts and really liked them. After careful consideration though (and almost flipping my EE yesterday...that’s another story) I talked to Mr. Graham and ordered my Hyperbike today!

You'll have to share pics and a review. I've been wanting one for a long time but it's hard for me to justify the cost. I need to commit to more driving first I think. However, they seem to keep going up and up and up in price so if I'd ordered one 5 years ago I'd have saved several hundred dollars already. Hindsight eh???

I've got a sulky that I refinished that has the nice wide wheel base so that's another reason I'm slow to spend the money for a HB. I know that it would be a lot more comfortable than the sulky I've got but the sulky cost me $110 all said and done. Maybe some day. In the meantime I'll live the HB dream through you and others so please share stories :)

Do you have any idea when your HyperBike will arrive?? Also, I don't know if you are aware but there is a HyperBike group on FaceBook and there are several members that make custom accessories for the HB. Things like canvas seat covers with pockets, cup holders, shorter reins, etc.

Oh I'm so excited for you ordering your first Hyperbike!! I had one years ago and just got another this summer and am SO GLAD I did. It has broadened my horizons as far as where I can drive because I can load and unload it all by myself and since I have to drive alone much of the time that is huge for me. Also both my mare Sky and my bigger pony gelding Mikey, prefer it over my heavy Kingston Easy Entry.

Oh man you are going to have SO. MUCH. FUN.
IMG_5431 copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back