Cart+harness fitting help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
Hey all! Rebel is finally ready to be put into the cart! With that all being said, I want to make sure that her tack looks like it’s fitting properly. I adjusted everything as much as I can but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Is there anything that looks like it needs adjustment?

The cart is currently adjusted so that it puts barely (if any) weight in the saddle, but it doesn’t pop up while driving (even without the wrap straps). What do you think?
D02F66FA-BDF0-4226-86D9-E5785A276A1B.jpegC7E02617-BC24-4702-88A1-4C5304335695.jpegF30ABC86-5D21-4B6F-8FF1-015D5204A0B6.jpeg1D10CD01-7A9C-4CC0-964C-5DEF5C9914D9.jpegF57FC851-8A0E-4B69-9E58-322FBA6ADA76.jpeg23D83440-DFFE-4AA6-9420-1092D0D1F657.jpegB354CF62-F182-4F77-8275-A26EFCDA19C6.jpeg3DA8735D-7E73-472B-B171-B8FD8611EF43.jpeg

Do you have a bridle for her? I never put my horse to a cart without one. It is hard to tell from photos but the breeching should look level and you want to be able to get your hand width between her rear and the breeching when the cart is in draft.
As mentioned, the shafts look low and don't look level but hard to tell about balance with nobody in the cart.
I think the American driving Society website has some instructional videos that may help you.

https://www.americandrivingsociety.org/

Do you have a bridle for her? I never put my horse to a cart without one. It is hard to tell from photos but the breeching should look level and you want to be able to get your hand width between her rear and the breeching when the cart is in draft.
As mentioned, the shafts look low and don't look level but hard to tell about balance with nobody in the cart.
I think the American driving Society website has some instructional videos that may help you.

https://www.americandrivingsociety.org/

Yes she does have a bridle! Her owner wanted to make sure she was both ok with the cart with and without the bridle. When there is someone in the cart the shafts are level but I do agree they seem low. I'll be raising them so that they are a bit higher. Thank you so much for giving me the link! I'll have to check out the videos : )

I am happy to help you with this!

First, it is always a good idea to have a bridle and driving lines on any hitched animal, as shared above. That's for safety sake. If a horse or pony is hitched to a vehicle there needs to be a person in the cart with the lines in hand.

Next I would raise the breast collar at least one hole on each side. As it is now it is laying across the point of her shoulder which is where a little bundle of nerves lay. So driving with the breast collar this low could be painful.

Another thing to consider is to bring that neck strap back and hook it to the waterhook on the saddle. If you do this then you won't need to raise it, as bringing it back will raise it. You can attach it to the water hook with a small loop of twine or get a neck collar connector strap. Here is a photo of what that will look like:
whitemanharnesshitched.jpg

The rest of the harness look like it is adjusted well!

As for the cart, as it sits right now the shafts are too low. They should be running more along the middle of her body, in line with where the traces come off the breast collar. Because your breast collar is adjusted too low, your traces are also running too low. To fix that I would raise your shaft loops maybe as much as two holes. Then you will have to readjust your balance, most likely by sliding your seat forward. This cart is a good example of why the curved shafts (as shown in the photo I shared above) are nice. They allow the front of the cart to stay level while reaching up to the shaft loops. I think you'll be able to get your dash and floor level through moving that stablizer bar at the back of the shafts, the part that connects from the shafts to the floor. Here is a blog about doing that: Balancing the Easy Entry Cart Part Two

This page (best viewed on a computer) has a few blogs about balancing an easy entry cart: VEHICLES | The Essential Horse | Driving Horses | Driving Ponies

Great job hitching!! I know it's confusing when we are starting out. I would say you have a good grasp of it, with a few tweaks you will be out enjoying your pony and cart 🤗

Attachments

• whitemanharnesssideshot.jpg
    whitemanharnesssideshot.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 3
I am happy to help you with this!

First, it is always a good idea to have a bridle and driving lines on any hitched animal, as shared above. That's for safety sake. If a horse or pony is hitched to a vehicle there needs to be a person in the cart with the lines in hand.

Next I would raise the breast collar at least one hole on each side. As it is now it is laying across the point of her shoulder which is where a little bundle of nerves lay. So driving with the breast collar this low could be painful.

Another thing to consider is to bring that neck strap back and hook it to the waterhook on the saddle. If you do this then you won't need to raise it, as bringing it back will raise it. You can attach it to the water hook with a small loop of twine or get a neck collar connector strap. Here is a photo of what that will look like:
View attachment 42489

The rest of the harness look like it is adjusted well!

As for the cart, as it sits right now the shafts are too low. They should be running more along the middle of her body, in line with where the traces come off the breast collar. Because your breast collar is adjusted too low, your traces are also running too low. To fix that I would raise your shaft loops maybe as much as two holes. Then you will have to readjust your balance, most likely by sliding your seat forward. This cart is a good example of why the curved shafts (as shown in the photo I shared above) are nice. They allow the front of the cart to stay level while reaching up to the shaft loops. I think you'll be able to get your dash and floor level through moving that stablizer bar at the back of the shafts, the part that connects from the shafts to the floor. Here is a blog about doing that: Balancing the Easy Entry Cart Part Two

This page (best viewed on a computer) has a few blogs about balancing an easy entry cart: VEHICLES | The Essential Horse | Driving Horses | Driving Ponies

Great job hitching!! I know it's confusing when we are starting out. I would say you have a good grasp of it, with a few tweaks you will be out enjoying your pony and cart 🤗
Thank you so much!! I’ve made those adjustments and everything seems to be working so much better now, thank you!

Latest posts

Back