Cart donkey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJuls

Reaction score
I have a young gelded donkey. When he is old enough I was thinking of getting him cart trained. Has anyone done this? And if so are they more difficult to cart train then a mini horse? I am reading books and researching it but thought maybe someone here might have some hands one experience.

I don't have a donkey, but a mini mule. I think donkeys are easier LOL! But they are different than horses. You can usually bully or cajole a horse into doing what you want, but a donkey is very sensitive and won't do something it's not sure of unless you convince it that's what it wants. You need infinite patience to train them.

Gaining your donkeys trust, bonding and ground manners are the most important things before cart training can start.

The only advice I can offer is to keep reading and doing research. The Merideth Hodges books and website are a great scource of info. I wouldn't bother with the training DVDs, I bought one and it had the same info as the books. Wasted $50. Merideth does answer your questions tho, You can always contact her through her website.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the advice I am going to look those books up.

Latest posts

Back