Cart and Harness opinions (CDE related)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well I have a few harnesses (all but one are show harnesses) and I have a couple easy entry carts. However I want to get a better quality cart and harness for my one boy Ranger now that I am more serious about CDE. This cart and harness would be used for CDE, trail driving etc. I have a few ideas already but would appreciate any and all input.

I am also interested in personal experienced with the freedom collar and also the "Californian Soft Collar". Also the Pacific Smart Cart. From what I can tell most of the four wheeled vehicles that are CDE suitable aren't really suitable for driving as a single...they're more suited toward pairs. Has anyone else found this? I would rather be driving a four wheeled vehicle but have yet to find one suitable.

I look forward to reading the replies to this thread!

Just a suggestion--you might check w/ Mike Groose of IteBte Buggies in MO; he is putting a real effort into a cart that might work as the 'all around' vehicle you hope for. Take a look at the Yahoo group for Mini Horse Driving--there is someone in WA state who is getting completely 'out' of driving and has two of the 'Missouri Flyers', as Mike calls his cart, for sale. I have been talking to him, and gathering info about this cart from him and those who've bought them, for nearly a year, and feel very positive about the cart! (In fact, I have one being built!)

It IS an 'all-metal' cart, but pretty stylish, can have brass or stainless fittings(rein rail, whip holder), can have a spares box included(or at least, a 'platform' for one), and marathon shafts as well as 'regular', 'gooseneck' shafts-and is powder coated. Wooden dash and basket are also standard. I don't think there is any cart yet being sold for minis that is 100% 'perfect', but it's getting MUCH 'closer', I believe.

I found the Pacific still too heavy and a bit 'clunky' for my 'maximum' A-sized minis--just my opinion, of course! The Bellcrown 'minicrown', licensed to be built in the US by its British originator, is great in many ways, and a 'better fit', IMO, for the A minis, but leaves something to be desired in the finish, and is relatively pricey(though less so than the Pacific 'Smart Cart'! The British 'Bennington' is great in design, but still, oversized for the A's, IMO--and though you can get lamp holders for it, just isn't quite as 'presentation-classy-looking' as you might want(I can say that, as I have one! I love it, but see its 'limitations'-and I use it only for my 'big B' mare.) The Pequea Road cart is nice, if you wish to 'go with' a wooden cart--I just don't see it as all that great for marathon use, esp.w/ the 'straight' wooden shafts(though I'm sure it would probably be fine until you got up to a higher competition level! Lots of people start at Trainng Level w/ very 'standard' Frontier EE carts!) You just can't use 'pneumatic' tires once you go very far up the competition levels.

You are correct; with minis, I don't believe there is yet a 4 wheeled vehicle that is truly suitable for a single to pull--mostly because of the 'intrinsic' weight of such a vehicle.

This is a VERY broad subject, and I have only just 'started' on it....but hope this will be of some help!

Best of luck,

Margo

I have been driving in CDE'S for about 14 years. And the last 3 as an intermediate. I have been using a Jerald with the basket off for the marathong portion, with wooden wheels of course. They do have mini spider's and other marathon vehicles that are very suited for single driving. I personally dont have the money to spend on one and really love my Jerald! Most everone that I compete with drive singles and they use the 4 wheeled marathon type vehicles and they love them. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. It is much harder to back with 4 wheels, so starting out be careful about that.

Love my Chimicum Sport Harness.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

www.horsedriver.com

It's the same as the Camptown.

I've looked and haven't found a 4 wheeled vehicle that's light enough for one mini.

http://www.ccfdriving.atfreeweb.com/

Does have a new marathon for minis that's the lightest I've been able to find.

LOVE my Camptown Harness
default_smile.png

I use an Eazy Ryder cart. But I DO know of a nice four wheel marathon cart that is fine with a larger single mini (my 35" Chili was fine with it). I would buy it if I had the money (thanks to vet bills and buying a new-to-me trailer, ain't gonna happen anytime soon!). PM me if you're interested and I can get you in touch with the guy who sells them.

Here's Chili and I in our Eazy Ryder in hazards at an ADT

chilihaz.7217.jpg

Oh I do have some photos of him and the 4 wheel. They're BAD photos, sorry, taken on my cell phone... but here they are anyhow

4wheel.jpg

chili4wheel.jpg

chili4wheel3.jpg

chili4wheel2.jpg

Jessi

I just want you to know I HAVE noticed this thread and will reply after I get back from the Pacific Crown AMHR show this weekend. I got my California Soft Collar in the mail today so will be trying it out and posting pictures soon if it fits well in this first incarnation. (It's totally custom for each horse so sometimes has to be sent back for a bit of refitting.) I'll get back to you!

Leia

Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion, or has anyone seen/tried the Scotsman cart? It sounds like it has some nice features, but it doesn't look very "dressy"? Wondered how it rides?

Thanks,

Amy

i'm anxiously waiting for my custom Chimicum Sport Harness

i ordered a freedom collar and sliding backband

will let you know when i get it

The 4 wheel I posted is made by Kutzmann Carriage. That particular one cannot be a pairs, but they do have a slightly larger one that can. You can PM me if you want the contact info for it... if you order in June or July for Sept delivery, shipping is free. I only know that b/c it's in the ad in my driving club's newsletter and I just happened to read it today ;)

I am NOT selling these, I just know the guy who does. I do NOT get anything out of this. I am NOT trying to solicit or post an ad here, I just want people to be able to get the contact info if they so desire ;) So hopefully that is ok? I don't think he has a website, or I would post that. I don't get to this forum all the time, so if I'm not answering you quickly enough you can email me at [email protected] and don't worry, I won't feel like you're bugging me if you try both places ;)

Jessi

VERY interesting; I've heard mention that Kutzmann was making a VSE marathon carriage, but had yet to see it!

As noted by someone else, even if it is for a single VSE, you would really 'need' a 'gator on hazards/obstacles, to keep you upright! That would be fine if both driver and 'gator were "Leias" in size and weight (Leia is a sprite!), but maybe not so good if you are hefty, as some of us are!

Margo

Latest posts

Back