Carriage Driving/ADS turnouts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Pam

Reaction score
So many of us are doing ADS events now--Carriage Driving Shows, HDT's (Horse Driving Trials), CDE's (Combined Driving Events), and there is more crossover to the breed shows. Keely's thread was great to show the differences you have to be aware of, so I'd love you guys to show off your Turnouts. Describe the harness and cart you are using, and any comments.

ADS: breeching required, sidechecks allowed (but frowned on), overchecks and martingales illegal. Bike tires are allowed for VSE's (very small equines--39" and under measured at the withers) at the Show Managers discretion. Brown gloves, hats, long sleeves, lap robe/driving apron and whips are required.

DSC_2754.jpg

Michigan's Blue Cobalt, ASPC/AMHR . Hooked to a Mini Bellcrown, wearing a Chimicum Tack Sport Harness. I am wearing tan gloves--forgot my brown ones, and I got marked down for it.

cedarcreek2007213.jpg

Late Night Blues, hooked to a Double Diamond wood EE, wearing an Ozark Carriage Harness.

cedarcreek2007117.jpg

Elegant Echo, hooked to a Houghton, wering a Carriage House Sport Harness. I don't like the look of this cart for Carriage, but it's legal. Youth are required to wear helmets in ALL ADS driving events, so we go for the English riding look.

HevanHillCDE2006073.jpg

SR Desert Mist, hooked to a custom made Lignite wearing a custom made Chimicum Tack Sport Harness. Misty is 29 1/2", so nothing "off the rack" fits her!

CedarCreek2006PamTurnout1.jpg

SR Desert Sun, hooked to a Jerald and wearing the top of the line leather CDE harness from Ozark. For Carriage driving, we use the dash with a brass rein rail, take off the patent boot, and use the wood wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
And also for those that asked in another thread about using CDE carts with steel wheels in AMHA (don't know about AMHR) shows, I asked the opinion of the AMHA show rules committee (opinion does not make it a rule but it does carry weight) this past weekend and all agreed that there was no problem. The comment was made that steel spokes were just very large wires
default_yes.gif

Now, this doesn't mean that the judge will like your turnout but they are legal.

Pictures, Al. We want pictures. Susans new outfit with her palomino is gorgeous, and you clean up pretty good, too.

This is Levi Cadwalater, 40" shetland 17 years young when gelded and broke to drive. He is hitched to the prototype Pacific Smart Cart in its premier at Happ's, and wearing the Smuckers deluxe carriage harness (betathane) and driven by Dorothy Whiteman.

PICT0018.jpg
Bandito.jpg

Ron Whiteman driving Winner's Circle Bs Bandito, 33" stallion, put to a Pacific Smart Cart and wearing a Chimicum Betathane harness. The harness has stainless hardware and the cart has brass hubs, so we added brass conchos on the browband

Yes, thanks so much! It's wonderful to see the pictures of minis in action, and to have the photos labeled with the harness and cart type is really helpful. Keep those photos coming!

Lori

Thank you all who have posted so far!

Beautiful horses, beautiful turnouts -- this, to me, is what driving is all about (well...I guess we don't see the actual driving...hehe).

I would so love to see the rated mini shows include more ADS-style classes, including turnout and reinsmanship and the like. Of course, the judges (and exhibitors) would have to familiarize themselves with a completely different approach...and accept breeching...

Beautiful photos! This is what driving should be!! Elegant,simple, tasteful and with breeching!

(now if I could just win the Lottery!!)

definately not a picture of the same caliber shared

(pics off cell phone, haven't downloaded camera yet)

but this illustrates our nontradional attire this past weekend

tipattire.jpg

tipharness.jpg

The Single horse is in a Rode Cart at Walnut Hill Farm Driving Competition and East Aurora (sp)

321596269.jpg

321595893.jpg

321595885.jpg

321595887.jpg

The pair is in a Doctors Buggy

321595890.jpg

321597011.jpg

321597012.jpg

Thank You Karla from Little Church Minis AKA BarnBum For the GREAT pic!!!

Amanda

Kate and Tex ( AKA Roly Poly ) at Pine Hill in line to run the course.

PineHill144.jpg

Had to add a picture of Billy Ray and me. I was pretty dressed down at this point.

Billy Ray is wearing a Chimicum Sport Harness.

My cart is an easy entry that I tricked out with a new seat and back and added a spares box.

Mike Groose made the steel wheels for me. Not fancy, but it works.

PineHill060.jpg

It is so nice to see these pics. It's proof that you don't need all those checks and martingales to get your horse to carry themself properly. Just look at all those pretty head sets and way of moving. Just beautiful!

I'm just jealous that we don't have more ADS oportunities here in GA. Come to think of it we don't have much of any kind of driving shows here. Too bad cause we have a lot of fine driving horses.

Laura

Love this thread - I don't drive (yet is always the operative word!) but love looking at the different looks and learning.

BTW Pam the way you were introducing this sounded just like a fashion show - what a hoot!!

Thanks all for sharing!

LOVE this thread .

I have a question though ..... I notice none of the horses in the pictures have their wither strap/carrier strap hooked into the check rein hook . I assume this is proper , but am left wondering why so many horses in the show ring are showing with it hooked on the check rein hook, which is also the way I was taught . Does it make much of a difference ??

LOVE this thread .

I have a question though ..... I notice none of the horses in the pictures have their wither strap/carrier strap hooked into the check rein hook . I assume this is proper , but am left wondering why so many horses in the show ring are showing with it hooked on the check rein hook, which is also the way I was taught . Does it make much of a difference ??
I think it is on most, you just can't see it. I can see a few pictures where it's not.

I know it hooks on the Chimicum harness. Look at one of the pictures of the Chimicum closer.

Here's a closer picture.

See how hard that little strap is to see ?

BillyRay057.jpg

journeysend, may I ask what kind of bit you are using there?

Love the pinto pair by the way!

Beautiful harness! It looks well fitted and very comfortable for your horse other than I would suggest you have your breeching a little too high and tight. Once your horse gets moving this breeching is going to slip up a little higher even and could end up under his tail. I prefer to see it a little towards the bottom curve of his buttocks when standing so that when it comes up during action it won't slip over the upper curve of his buttocks. You should also be able to slip a hand in between the breeching and him when he is standing and it is not in play.

Here is Toby with a Houghton (sp?) cart with wood wheels without the boot. As for his harness, I really don't know who made the original, but it has so many different pieces on it now that it's a mute point. I do know the breastcollar he's wearing in the picture is a Smucker's. Toby is an unusually sized mini, so some of the pieces of the harness are mini B sized, and others like the breastcollar, new noseband and new breeching are small pony sized. Toby is 37.5", but he's very broad and long.

0.jpg

Lori,

You're correct. That was our first fitting.

I drove, adjusted, drove some more, adjusted.

It was my first time with "real" breeching.

Hopefully I have it right now.

Thanks,

Vickie

Latest posts

Back