Carriage Driving/ADS turnouts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
journeysend, may I ask what kind of bit you are using there?

Love the pinto pair by the way!
It's a myler "knock off" (copy). I believe the brand is Kelly. I don't like it as well as a myler, but it's a lot better than most of the bits around here. A lot cheaper than the myler too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already thought it was a kind of myler...

Want to trie that sometime.. If I can find one here that fits...

I have ridden my haflinger on a billy allen (copy of myler) and she was very fine with it

I second the feeling that it is really nice to see so many happy, natural headed animals, correctly trained to pull properly.

Perhaps the few that still see need to drive in these events in a check will take heart and dump it??

I am a little worried by the very high breeching I saw on a couple of horses, and also by the placement of the breeching attachment (do you call them footman's loops??) on the "smart Cart"..the smaller one- they seem far too far back to be of any use- maybe someone with experience of the cart could comment??

You know how I feel about checks in general, but I really do feel very strongly indeed that they have absolutely no place in a cross country drive where a horse could easily lose it's footing and severely hurt it's mouth as a result.

I am very surprised that the CDE people still allow them!!

Loved seeing all the different harnesses, too.

Awwwwww come on Jane, I only counted 2 horses in a sidecheck, and one of them was Keely at an AMHR breed show, where she'd be DQ'd if she didn't have it on. I think Roly Poly had one on to keep him from snacking. Overall, I have seen a huge improvement in driving and harnessing in the miniatures in the last 20 years.

Awwwwww come on Jane, I only counted 2 horses in a sidecheck, and one of them was Keely at an AMHR breed show, where she'd be DQ'd if she didn't have it on. I think Roly Poly had one on to keep him from snacking. Overall, I have seen a huge improvement in driving and harnessing in the miniatures in the last 20 years.
That's right, Roly Poly without a check will graze while at a trot.

We keep him in a side check adjusted to where he can get his nose to his knees but not to the grass.
default_yes.gif

We keep him in a side check adjusted to where he can get his nose to his knees but not to the grass.
default_yes.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I sympathize entirely! While I don't normally use checks on my horses for anything but breed shows where I am forced to by the rules I did use a sidecheck on my Rocky. Believe it or not while we were doing our extended trot, at which he could actually EXTEND and excel, across the diagonal at a show one time he GRABBED GRASS!!! Chunked himself in the chin at the same time making a loud enough clunk to attract the judges attention who GIGGLED!!! We still placed well but holy cow! How embarrassing!!! Sidechecks DO have their place.

You know how I feel about checks in general, but I really do feel very strongly indeed that they have absolutely no place in a cross country drive where a horse could easily lose it's footing and severely hurt it's mouth as a result.

I am very surprised that the CDE people still allow them!!

Loved seeing all the different harnesses, too.

I dont know of any CDE shows around here that allow any type of checks. They absolutely have no place in dressage or the marathon!

It's my understanding side checks are allowed by ADS rules so I don't think a show could outlaw them.

Of course unless I'm wrong about the rules. . . .

Leia ? Al ?

Side checks are allowed in CDEs at Training level, not at any other level. I don't believe side checks are allowed in any pleasure driving classes unless the vehicle is appropriate for them (some sort of fancy carriage) or it is the park-type class. I am not 'up' on the pleasure rules, but this is about the gist I recollect from reading them a while ago.

So basically, no, they aren't outlawed, but they aren't encouraged either. Of course, with minis being much closer to the ground, they can be pretty crafty about getting the grass. But I've never really had a problem with any of the many horses I have driven (sure doesn't mean there aren't a few determined sorts out there!).

I have to post my turnouts here, when I have time!
default_wink.png

Come on Bree, I'll make time if you will!
default_biggrin.png

Here's Kody and I back in 2005 at our first formal CDE. We were using our Edgeman easy entry cart and an Ozark Mountain Carriage harness.

PostDressage.jpg

Here we are a year later on a rainy day early in 2006 with the same cart and harness and a kick strap from Iowa Valley Carriage Shop.

ConesWeb.jpg

Then here we are in 2007 at the Happ's CDE with our new Bellcrown Minicrown cart with special-order oak dash and a Camptown/Chimacum Sport harness with the Ozark bridle and special browband. I was still tweaking things so ended up lowering the breeching in the rear, loosening the false martingale on my Freedom Collar, and adding a green scarf and a green band to my hat so we wouldn't look so dark. This was taken at 8AM on a VERY nasty day with a high zoom so the light level was awful!

Kodydressage3.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the best pictures from 2007 loaded yet (I know, I know, how long does it take me?!) but here's a couple from early this year. Obviously I'm not dressed for competition, but this is our marathon turnout and I've finally got his harness perfected. And boy has he learned to drop that croup and GO when I gather him up!
default_new_shocked.gif

TrotOut.jpg

AmazingTrot.jpg

I love this one:

MusicalTrot.jpg

That's our Hyperbike in those photos with the Camptown Harness and Ozark bridle, occasionally with the Iowa Valley kick strap too.

Of course now I've thrown a giant wrench into the works by buying a new sliding backband saddle from Chimacum with open tugs, a California Soft Collar from Tanglewood Farms in CA, and a new bridle from Ozark! :DOH! I haven't had time to get any of those fitted or tweaked yet so I still haven't decided what I'm using in competition this weekend at Happ's CDE 2008.
default_wacko.png
It's either the harness I KNOW won't interfer with him because I've already used it or the better-but-untried new stuff. Decisions, decisions. If I use the Freedom Collar I've got carabiners now that I suspend from the neck terrets to run my reins at the right angles.

Dr. Pam said:
ADS: breeching required, sidechecks allowed (but frowned on), overchecks and martingales illegal. Bike tires are allowed for VSE's (very small equines--39" and under measured at the withers) at the Show Managers discretion. Brown gloves, hats, long sleeves, lap robe/driving apron and whips are required.
Clarification: Sidechecks are allowed at Training Level only, pneumatic tires and wire-spoke wheels are allowed at Training Level only and only if the Organizer allows them, gloves are required but brown gloves are required only by tradition. You'll get marked down in Presentation for any other color but all the rules specify is "gloves, whip, and apron/lap robe" if I recall correctly. Wearing long sleeves, brown gloves, a lovely hat and matching metals between cart and harness are all elements of correct turnout but not required in the rules.

JourneysEnd said:
My cart is an easy entry that I tricked out with a new seat and back and added a spares box.Mike Groose made the steel wheels for me. Not fancy, but it works.

PineHill060.jpg
I love the cart! I wrote an article to be published in the next issue of Miniature World Showcase about tricking out your existing vehicle for CDE and I wish I'd had your photo to submit.
default_wub.png

Laura Leopard said:
I'm just jealous that we don't have more ADS oportunities here in GA. Come to think of it we don't have much of any kind of driving shows here. Too bad cause we have a lot of fine driving horses.
Laura
There was an HDT there not long ago that several minis competed in.

justagirl said:
I have a question though ..... I notice none of the horses in the pictures have their wither strap/carrier strap hooked into the check rein hook . I assume this is proper , but am left wondering why so many horses in the show ring are showing with it hooked on the check rein hook, which is also the way I was taught . Does it make much of a difference ??
Only aesthetically IMO. In fine harness they put the neckstrap through the checkhook to make the horse's neck look longer and to emphasize the line of the shoulder. It cleans the picture up and makes things look a bit less cluttered. In traditional carriage harness the neckstrap rests in front of the withers and often has two straps to distribute the weight of a heavier breastcollar and so that if one breaks the collar does not drop down around the horse's knees before you can get them stopped. It would stress the stitching and the leather to put a strap meant to rest directly above the breastcollar back over the check hook. Many of the newer mini sport harnesses come with a separate neck strap connector to keep Freedom Collars and the like from slipping forward if the horse puts his head down but they're more about keeping a shaped collar in the right place than aesthetics.

Leia

am a little worried by the very high breeching I saw on a couple of horses, and also by the placement of the breeching attachment (do you call them footman's loops??) on the "smart Cart"..the smaller one- they seem far too far back to be of any use- maybe someone with experience of the cart could comment??

The footman's loops on the smaller horse do indeed seem to be so far back to be of no use, but they do still allow the breeching to do its job. The Smart Cart has adjustable shafts. On the larger pony, the shafts are adjusted out to their maximum length and on the smaller mini, they are pulled in to near their minimum. The footman's loops are on the part of the shaft that moves out, so the loop itself moves out making a nice straight line on the breeching when "out" and less so when "in". We have, however, used the cart with this horse over some rather hilly courses and my husband, as you can see, is not a small man. With an ineffective breeching and the open shaft hangers, he could easily overrun the horse. That has NEVER happened. Just a note; this is not Ron's regular "mount".

Dorothy

default_yes.gif
Same problem I have with the talented Maggie.. along with me not being strong enough to lift her head when she does get it down. So adjust the side checks like you do. Little extra security never hurts.

Leia,

Glad you like the cart, that means a lot coming from you.

Al's on his way to Happs, this weekend I believe.

Remember I want a picture of you guys together.

Vickie

Actually Al, Susan and I will all be there sometime tonight if I heard him right. Wheee! I'll see what I can do about the pic.
default_wink.png

I forgot to say how glad I was to see Dr. Pam posting again and how much I enjoyed those great galleries Al posted. Good job, guys!

Leia

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this thread ... I've entered in a pleasure driving show in a couple weeks, gives me an idea of what I need to change in my harness, cart and outfit to be ready!!

I have so many questions ... have to organize my thoughts and start a thread of my own, I think!!

whell, I can't stay behind, can I?

My trainer (used to train hackney's, he is also in "hackney costume" Unfortunatly he had to sell his hackney, and that horse broke his leg last christmas, so now he is having fun wiht my mare..)

img2902at6.jpg

Me in my very first driving competition.

img2924yn4.jpg

had an accident a few years ago with another horse, and I got scared of driving. Whitout my trainer my horse would probebly still not being driven!

The result?

CHAMPION!
default_wink.png

img2953rg9.jpg

btw, I'm still searching for another hat, but I needed something quick
default_wink.png

I am enjoying this thread SO MUCH!!! Was at a flea market on Sunday and saw some REALLY KOOL HATS like you wear with your costumes.

Thought about you Ladies
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

Lori

WOW! I'm impressed by Al and Susan--all the way from east Texas to Oregon for Happs! Gosh, it must be nice to be able to travel so far for fun!!

So--we will all be waiting 'with bated breath' for results and the 'inside story' of every fun moment you guys have at the event at Happs!!

Margo

Latest posts

Back