Care of your horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nita,

We have anywhere from 60 to 80 minis and ponies at any given time, depending on the time of year. We do not stall in the winter time unless we have a quarrantine situation. Our stalls are mainly for an ill horse or for foaling season.

Larry and I share the care of the horses. However, he is on the road for two or three weeks at time and then it is just me.

When we do stall, we clean the stalls daily. We also use a center area in the barn where our babies will come in to be fed and they also use it as shelter. We rake that out daily too. The stalls have heated buckets (if needed) and the open area for the babies has a trough that we put a heater or de-icer in for winter.

Mostly our horses are outdoors with shelter and water troughs. Water troughs all have either de-icers or heaters in them with heavy duty outdoor extension cords running to them. Larry drags each field monthly.

By not stalling horses in the winter, it really does cut down on some of the work.

MA

7 of the horses are mine, so my responsibility. My husband does have two saddle horses, but they are just out to pasture with minimal care year round; he takes care of his own horses hooves. We raise Red Angus cattle, so have a few saddle horses around for working cattle.

My 7 horses; 5 full-size and two minis (another mini coming in two weeks) are my responsiblity. Four of the full-size are on pasture most of the year, my senior gelding has his own paddock and my minis are dry-lotted. I feed my dry-lotted horses twice a day, any daily clean-up is my job. I keep the water tanks full for all the horses.

My husband will help with construction issues (we are building a mini barn this winter), he'll clean the big dry-lots with the tractor and blade, he puts up hay (round bales only - we put them up for the cows, so already have them), he'll feed for me if I am going to be gone, but that doesn't happen very often. We don't have any tank heaters, no power where the tanks are, so come winter we chop ice daily for all livestock. When cows are actively drinking, the tank doesn't have time to freeze.

We are a hard working bunch, aren't we.
biggrin.gif

Horses are my thing here too, so the majority of horse care falls to me. Hubby is great about repair and maintaining barn, fences, etc but when I'm home I do 90%of the feeding, stall cleaning, exercising, going to the vet, feed store, etc. He will feed for me when I'm gone to a show but I try to pare the routine down when I'm gone. I know they are fed and taken care of, but they may miss some of the "goodies".

We have 30 minis and 2 big horses, more work these days than I would like since my daughter isn't at home anymore to help. Only a few in stalls presently, so stall cleaning is a minor task. Feeding is a 2 hour chore in the morning - 4 horses to bring in for the day, 8 more to bring into covered runs in the 2nd barn, and the rest outside in groups. With this many, someone always needs something special, whether it's medication or extra supplements. The 2 big horses - thankfully - are outside 24/7 these days. When my daughter's show mare came back home I accepted her only on the condition I didn't have to stall her!

Once they are settled in for the morning I come in and hit the iced tea and computer LOL. Pry myself away from the computer after awhile and work at my desk or head into town for errands. Check the horses midday, feed stall horses their lunch (hay) and run back to the AC. This time of year I feed dinner about 7, it's just too hot earlier. Most only get hay in the evening, show horses and a few harder keepers get grain as well. I can do evening feed in an hour. Back out later to let stall horses out, clean stalls and maybe work a horse or two before bed.

In the winter, I"ll work horses during the day.

It's been hot and icky here - I complain about the heat, just saps me, but hearing you all talk about frozen water buckets makes me appreciate our climate a little more.
biggrin.gif
We pay our dues in the summer, not so bad here in the winter though.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
I do everything and the day I ask my second half to help will be the day they go up for sale
laugh.gif
Really!.... But I dont mind, I got into minis knowing that my second half had no intrest, so it is not a big deal. I have cut back to just a few on irrigated pasture, and I do my own farrier work, and have auto waters, and have ordered enough hay to last them through the winter. When it comes down to the workload -it really comes down to the number of minis..
yes.gif

I have 28 horses and until 2.5 years ago also had my husband to take care of the horses while I worked and travelled full time in Medical Equipment sales. Since his death I retired from Fuji and now am full time horsewoman...I son who is 34 and 6'3" has moved back home with me and now is involved also with helping with the horses. This has helped tremendously. All our horses are brought in at night and fed grain and hay and all are let out in the morning and fed hay in bunk hay feeders in the fields..The mares and sucklings are fed grain again in the morning and let out with the other horses..We clean the barn down to the mats everyday and bed with Sweet PDZ and shavings only in the areas where they have chosen as there "comfort station"..The outside barn paddocks (which all have access to at night locked paddocks adjacent to the barn stalls except for the mares and babies) The manure is picked up daily and composted in cedar post lined areas of the field or at a far corner of the field..Hay is put out in all fields in the bunk feeders. We used heated buckets everywhere...not just in the barn and it has been the best investment I have made. We used 5 gallon water buckets all year round everywhere so that water is replaced daily and cuts down on west nile potential...My hay is delivered and stacked in the grainery building for me by my hay man. We use the shavings in the plastic covered bales that we buy 20 at a time and my son and I stack those at the grainery...I do everything else by myself except so far I have had vets do my vacs etc and I have a farrier every 6 weeks..And my son has taken over where his Dad left off and is an awesome wood horse fence builder and run in shed builder.. We start our day at 8 AM and end the day at 7PM (for the horses that is..)

I would rather do this any day than go back to work for a corporation again...however the pay really stinks
rolleyes.gif
except the horses appreciation is well worth it..
yes.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

The horses are "my" love, hobby and buisiness. I do the work 95% of the time. My husband will feed when I work late and go to the shows but cleaning and working with the horses is all me! Okay, call me weird but I like cleaning horse poop....it's my think and ponder time. I try to keep things easy. Barn is used for foaling, sick horses and show horses and stalls are cleaned daily(usually) Otherwise horses are out in their pastures. I don't have year round pasture so I end up feeding hay and grain most of the time. I try and go out once a week in the smaller paddocks and pick up poop! Love that poop!
biggrin.gif

At our place Hubby does all the heavy work of cleaning stalls, picking up pasture etc. We do stall our horses at night and they are then fed separately....they are on pasture during the day. He likes doing what ever it takes for the horses since he is retired and enjoys being with them. He had a stroke a couple years ago and recovered really well so this project is really a pleasure for him to do knowing he could have ben paraylzed for the rest of his life. He picks up stalls every day and does a good cleaning whenever necessary. Mary

I do 95 percent of it myself. I turn my horses out daily for 8-10 hours and then stalled at nite. I clean stalls daily of course. I do all the feeding, and cleaning and watering..

Raven helps with the working them and grooming though

The horses are MY interest; my late husband used to clean up in the evenings, but since his death nearly 8 years ago, it's been me and only me who does EVERYTHING here(I recently turned 64; my kids are long grown and gone, though I do have one daughter who works at the National Lab and comes down every couple of weeks-she used to help me show, doing Hunter and sometimes Halter--UNTIL AMHA instituted their $50! fee for a non-member Amateur card-
no.gif
no.gif
-and is occasionally able to take care of things here if I want/need to be gone for a day or two.)

I have 7 minis and a big;will soon be bringing my original show mini gelding home from a free lease. The "big" has one end of the arena fenced off w/ portable panels-@ 25' X 125', with a nice big shade tree just outside the fence, so that it shelters/shades her all summer; I can let her down an "alley" into a 12'x 12' southfacing run-in shed w/ 12'x 50' run when weather demands. I have 5 minis at the barn, 4 in @ 12'X 12' stalls w/ attached 12'x 36' runs; one has an 8'x 10' lean-to type shed, with 12'x 26'run, right next to the main barn. Others are in either the big semi-round "mare" pen, @ 85' in diameter, with a 16' x 36' southfacing run-in shed, or in other run-in sheds of @ 8'x8' with 32' attached runs, or a larger, @ 10'x 13' run-in with attached 32' run.(I am a STRONG believer in,and advocate of, making their daily living space as roomy as possible, BTW.) When we've had enough rain to grow the grass, they are turned out every day or so, for an hour or two-and I often put all the minis out in the arena(125' X 225')to exercise and hang out together. In moderate weather, the ones at the barn are shut out of the stalls most/all of the time(they have shade from the barn itself in the afternoons); when the weather's bad, I leave the bottom half of the dutch doors open so they can go in or out; if it's really COLD, or raining/blowing out of the east, I sometimes shut them into their stalls-they are often shut in overnight in the dead of winter, due to the temps. I have heated buckets for all the minis in the winter, plugging two on each end of the barn into a HD, outdoor rated ext. cord, and using timers, matching the timers pretty much to our on-peak/off-peak electric rates(works quite well, and saves $$ over just having the buckets heating 24/7! I can move their buckets outside during the day, yet keep them plugged in if needed. I then use a tank heater in the one bigger tank outside, again, using a HD outdoor rated ext. cord, and running the cord right to the heater through a PVC pipe, to protect it from busy mouths!

Stalls are matted, all except for one 4'x 6' corner, where I keep shavings-works pretty well. When they are having to stay in the stalls, I "pick" the shavings AM and PM, pick up the wet, and use Sweet PDZ on the wet spots in the dirt. I ALWAYS clean runs/stalls twice daily, bagging the minis' manure so it can be hauled off by the trash man weekly; I simply scatter the big mare's manure regularly, pick it up and put it into my little manure spreader occasionally, and spread it in the arena. I either add to or scrub buckets/tanks and refill as needed; there's one or two to do nearly everyday, as I try to stagger when each is done.

The greatest helps to me here have been: the tank heater, heated buckets, stall mats--AND, my big garden tractor! When I got it, I also got a 46" front-mounted snow blower, for winter-and it has been a HUGE help! (Lots of work, mounting and dismounting it from the tractor by myself, but--I can do it(amazing how you learn to use leverage and ingenuity when you MUST!!)

In moderate weather, basic AM chores take me about 1 1/2 hours; PM, about 1-1 1/4 hours--in winter, MUCH longer, sometimes. I am working at being able to get 'down' to just my beloved longtimers/driving horses--if I could just get down to 6 minis and Jordan, I believe I could handle it....I had as many as 17 minis once, but it became all work and no play(and, I was younger then, and had help!)

If I DIDN'T love this, I darn sure wouldn't do all of this work! Besides the strictly horse stuff, there's the mowing, watering, tree trimming, replenishing the crusher fines here and there-----etc., etc., etc.,etc.!!! You'd think I'd be slimmer!!!!!
laugh.gif

I am, apparently, one of the very, very fortunate ones! The horses are both my hubby's and my passion, and we enjoy doing the chores together. Although, he actually does alot more physically than I do!
wink.gif

Mike feeds/cleans stalls/turns out the babies each morning, and then when we get home from work, we both feed, play and groom them. Mike does our hoof-trimming, while I hold them, he does the clipping, while I hold them, and he does the vacuuming, while I hold them! (Notice a pattern here??? Anytime it involves a motorized power tool, Mike wants to play with it! LOL!!!)

We both go get and stack the hay, get the grain/supplements and cleaning of the rest of the barn, we just do it together! We enjoy the time we get to spend together away from phones and TV's to spend with our little cuties! I am indeed very fortunate!
wub.gif

We are new to the mini's this year, and as a first, have also gone with the heated water buckets in their stalls - I am paranoid of fires, but they seem very safe, and Mike put the electric under the buckets in a rubber box to keep out any moisture, so the horses will never be able to get to the cords. We live in MN, so we also have the icing problem with the water buckets, I am hoping that this will save us time and worry now! The horses should always have clean water available to them now!
biggrin.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

My horses are my hobby and I get to play with them everyday. Hubby works fulltime. He helps me on the weekends with the feeding and watering...and always with the heavy stuff such as stacking hay and fence mending...etc.... He takes care of setting up the water troth in the winter with the heater so we don't have frozen ice water for them to drink.

I do most of the grooming and showing...he'll pitch in with the grooming sometimes for fun...LOL I'm here to take care of the farrier and vet visits and spend most of my time with them and they are all taken care of by the time hubby gets home from work so we can relax at the end of the day.

As far as stalls go. I don't normally stall up unless we get inclement weather or I'm showing. They love being out 24/7 to come and go as they wish, graze, roll, run and just be horses. They each have their own corral and I feed them separate so I will know each one gets his own fair share of food.

A summation of it all....I take care of a majority of the one on one stuff....hubby takes care of the heavy and mechanical stuff for me. I guess I should add that I do and can do it if need be....but since he enjoys it and likes to help out then he does it. Altho the horses are "My" hobby....they are "our" horses. We enjoy sharing them as if they were our own kids!!
biggrin.gif

Oh I should add also that in the winter months and extreme heat I usually check on them more often than I would normally. Just a natural thing.

97% me. I'm 15. Got 3 minis & two big guys. horses are in at night.. out at day.. but the minis right now have no pen!! so they get out once a week if not being worked!
no.gif
We are moving & their pen broke & can not be fixed now, besides no time. But at the new place they will be out daily
yes.gif
I muck usually.. the odd day I can't so they get done by my dad or mom or the odd time go without for a day. I do all feeding & manage who gets what. I do the training & any showing... ya almost every thing but matince(sp) (like fixing pipes or something
wacko.gif
)

Interesting thread!
yes.gif
The horses are my interest-hobby though my husband helps out a lot. He takes care of putting up new fencing, repairs, building the lean-to's ( we have no barn to speak of ), loads, hauls and stacks the hay and helps me shuvel the paddocks from time to time. ( He drives the mower with wagon, I shuvel. ) He grew up on a dairy farm so is use to work and I think would be lost with out some type of farm work to do, so I am very fortunate to have his help. He even tries to tell me what I should be feeding the horses - but that is where I draw the line!
new_shocked.gif
I take care of most of the feeding and most of the purchasing of feed. I also manage amounts to be given, take care of the worming, shots and so on. My step daughter helps out with grooming and the like. We currently have two miniature mares, one mini stallion, one mini donkey and a smaller sized riding horse, I feel very blessed!

Harvey and I both do the work, but he does most of it when it comes to feeding and cleaning up (most of the time, they are all in paddocks w/ run in sheds not closed in stalls). I do most of the watering and when we're showing, I lunge and drive the horses, and clip, bathe, groom...

i am very blessed that i have a son that loves horses and a hubby that does too! My son has 2 horses of his own and also shows. So he does nightime feeding and manure removal during the week. On saturday all three of us get busy and clean whatever needs it. (my son is also paid for his weekly work as its alot of work)

Ive always said i do some of my best thinking while scooping manure
smile.gif

We dont stall either unless a horse is ill, foaling or showing. This cuts down on a lot of work.

I do all the training and most of the grooming. Hubby does clip them though as hes so much better then i am. The one thing my son absolutely hates is show grooming so I never ask him to do it.

My hubby is in ohio now and only comes home on the weekends. This morning he got up early and was so excited because he got to feed the horses. He really misses it! He said i got to pet each and every horse!! Hes a keeper
wub.gif

I love morning feeding. Ours are fed as a herd. As soon as i get out the back door they are start neighing to me and banging on the gate. After I feed I fill all water tanks and just watch each horse. I know each one so well that in one look i can tell if a horse is off or not acting right.

So far this has been very interesting. Some have said that if it seems like work something is wrong but as I have pm'd several breaking water buckets several times a day and prying poo out of stalls with a crowbar is work no matter how much I try to convince myself its not. We had 31 days last winter that temps did not go above zero not 32, zero and cleaning stalls was a nightmare. We also broke our first ice Oct. 16th last fall and our last iced bucket was March 17th. Thats a long time to break out buckets 4-5 times a day. My hubby did help (lots) until this bout with his back but now he cant do anything and last winter he was working so couldnt help. Like I said my daughter does her darnedest to help but she has a full plate as well going to nursing school and home schooling her children so I felt some changes were needed before water starts freezing again. Last year we put a hydrant in the barn but still have to take hot water from the house to mix and stil have to skim buckets several times a day. I thank you all for your responses and at least a couple of ideas on how to make it easier. I even had one member offer to take my stallion nope dont think so lol. I do love my horses just dont love winter but since a move this year is out of the question now with hubby's back I'll find a way.

Och.. Maine is one of my all time favorite states,, but as you said it is a hard time of year with dealing with horses...Brrr...

I have the enclosed 5 gallon blue water buckets for my sheds. I have to run heavy duty extention cords out for power. But it is well worth it, and it does not get hot enough to cause a fire, just warm enough to keep the water from freezing.

Really is safe, and I highly recommend them.

Think I bought mine from Valley Vet supply.

For the frozen manure, I have a few ideas, but they are really off the wall.

I do all the care for our horses. My husband will help to store the winter supply of hay every year when it come in in september. Frank will hold babies when they need a trim or anything else that needs two persons. These are considered "my" horses though so I do all the work just like with our four parrots, four finches and other pets.

My horses are dry lotted. They all have a stall that they go to when they eat or in bad weather but typically they are out 24/7 with access to the sheds in bad weather. I clean the paddock out twice a day. Winter I ususally bed the stalls. Mares with foals also get bedded stalls. Mares/foals get a stall at night with a small paddock attached. I fully clean the stalls each day. My daughter is seven and showing an interest in helping with the horses since she did pony camp all summer where I work. She's been helping me feed daily and is learning various chores but I dont' depend on her for any work done with them
smile.gif

I'm in nearby MA and know how winters can get (not as bad as yours in ME though!). Although I don't buy all the gadgets that come out I do invest in some things to make things easier for me like heated buckets. As for frozen manure- I find that I cannot clean out the paddocks because the piles freeze so I don't do paddocks for about two months in the heart of winter and do a big cleanup as soon as I can in spring. Stalls are done daily year round however. I've found if the stalls are deeply bedded and turned regularly and cleaned to the floor the frozren piles are easier to scoop up. If you don't have heated buckets outside you can put a full tub of water in an area that has sun all day. I end up breaking the ice in the am and dumping it out and taking out warm buckets of water and half fill it. Then at night I either fill it to the top with more warm water or dump it and put another half bucket out (this is a muck bucket used as a water bucket). Works well for me if I don't have a heater.

smile.gif

Tammie

100% just me!!!
yes.gif

Feeding, mucking, scrubbing buckets, clipping, etc. etc. etc. Have a full-time job, my horses at my place, plus have a business partnership with more horses about 1/2 from where I live. No wonder I'm tired all the time!

But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way - I really love having my horses on my property (as opposed to boarding them).
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back