cant stand it any longer,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dove is doing great, thanks for asking!
default_smile.png
I was going to get some new pics of her tomorrow, she will be two weeks old!!!

Our vet dropped in to see her the other night, and said she is a miracle horse, and he was sure she would not live, but that he does not mind being wrong!

We had her at the office yesterday to be weighed, she was 5.2 kg on day 2, and at 12 days she was 6.1 kg, so she is gaining, if not quickly.

The major difference we have seen though is that she wants to be up and running about all the time. We wrapped her hooves in vet wrap so she will not slip on the floor. Because I am afraid of cutting off circulation I don't wrap them tightly and she keeps blowing a sneaker. So I re wrap and can see us going through several miles of vet wrap!
default_rolleyes.gif
: She looks like a little pink toed tarantula clippety clopping around the house!

Doves%203.jpg

We are switching over to a milk replacer that is easier for us to order in, and her last stool was a wee bit loose, so I am holding my breath. At the size she is, if she got the runs it would take her down fast. Someone did say however, not to be surprised if she got foal heat scours even if she is not nursing her dam, as they had an orphan that did this. Perhaps that is it. Either way we will watch that closely.

Dove is actually growing a baby coat!!
default_yes.gif
: For now though, as we can't keep her down and wrapped up any more, she is wearing a tiny foal coat that a friend made a couple of years ago, and it is still pretty huge on her, but stays on and does not interfere with her walking, and RUNNING....she trots and canters and bucks all over the house! Then when she is tired she steps into her bed, which is the bottom half of a plastic dog crate lined with quilts, and lays down to sleep. She is a saucy wee girl and for now at least is getting away with everything! :bgrin

I know she is going to have to live in the barn someday, but for now we are really enjoying this temporary houseguest. I am working nights and my husband said I would suffer separation anxiety. He was right!
default_wacko.png
: Thank God for my husband and kids though, Dove is so well cared for when I am not here.

I will get some more pics of her tomorrow, and for now she has her own page on our website, which I will update every few days.

http://www.treherneminis.com/Doves%20page.htm

OMG she is the cutest thing ever!!! She looks so spiffy in her booties. You will have to draw a Nike Swoosh on them, send the pic to Nike and see if they will use her as a comercial horse! She is adorable.

OMG she is the cutest thing ever!!! She looks so spiffy in her booties. You will have to draw a Nike Swoosh on them, send the pic to Nike and see if they will use her as a comercial horse! She is adorable.
:lol: Maybe NIKE would custom make her some sneakers that don't keep falling off!

Beccy,

She is sOOO precious! I am so glad she is doing well for you.

I am not at all knowledgeable about how kg's correspond to pounds. About how many pounds does she weigh now?

Susan O.

Beccy,

She is sOOO precious! I am so glad she is doing well for you.

I am not at all knowledgeable about how kg's correspond to pounds. About how many pounds does she weigh now?

Susan O.
I was wondering the same thing to, Susan LOL!

She is way to cute for words! How fun would it be for her to just stay that small and just live in the house all the time LOL! Good luck with her!

Gage

Despite the hardship, she must be a joy......

We had an orphan last year, but he was 3 weeks old when his momma died. We made sure he spent lots of time with the other moms and foals in the barn. He still bonded to us, of course. But by doing what we did, we also made sure he knew he was a HORSE.

He is doing great and blended into the herd well.....infact, he knows he's "special" and can be a bit bossy. :bgrin

Please keep those updates coming!
default_yes.gif
:

MA

:saludando: Hi Susan!

I learned the imperial system in school, and then halfway through Canada went metric, so I am totally messed up!
default_wacko.png
:

However I did a quick search and found a converter, and it sez:

5.2 kg = 11.4 lbs

and

6.1 kg = 13.4 lbs

Despite the hardship, she must be a joy......

We had an orphan last year, but he was 3 weeks old when his momma died. We made sure he spent lots of time with the other moms and foals in the barn. He still bonded to us, of course. But by doing what we did, we also made sure he knew he was a HORSE.

He is doing great and blended into the herd well.....infact, he knows he's "special" and can be a bit bossy. :bgrin

Please keep those updates coming!
default_yes.gif
:

MA
So sorry your mare did not make it :no: In this case we could not leave the filly with her dam as she was so early that she had almost no fur over some of her body, eyes were still closed, and she could not stand except with a lot of help, and then only for a few seconds.

I would love to have her with some horsey pals, but it is too cold to put her out in the barn, todays low is supposed to be minus 13 degrees celcius....and in case anyone is wondering, the converter says that is 8.5 degrees farenheight. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, Beccy!

That gives me a better idea! I totally understand about your cold weather also! This March is the most wintry I can remember here in Wyoming!

Hopefully you will get some nice warm days before too long and can let her be outside a little also :)

Susan O.

Bless you family, for all you have done for that sweet little Dove.
default_wub.png
:

Thanks for sharing Love her web page.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks so much, Beccy!

That gives me a better idea! I totally understand about your cold weather also! This March is the most wintry I can remember here in Wyoming!

Hopefully you will get some nice warm days before too long and can let her be outside a little also :)

Susan O.
I know, what is up with that? We had great weather till the end of January, even I who hate, despise, LOATHE winter, was enjoying it. Now we have Siberian weather!!!
default_sad.png
"Wiarton Willie" predicted early spring on Groundhog day. Hmmm, think we should have groundhog stew to warm us up! :lol:
default_wink.png
:

[SIZE=18pt]She's so cute with her "slippers" on. I'm so glad she's still doing well and I wish you the best of luck with her.[/SIZE]

Christy

:aktion033: I am so happy your little filly is doing well.

I was watching Animal Planet last night and I think you should email the picture with her snuggled up with the cat to them. She would surly fit in with the amazing animals.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Good luck.

Deb

Beccy, she is soooo Hugggable.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: Love the pictures especially the one with the cat.

She could come live "IN" my house anytime!!!

Wonderful news!!! Hang in there little girl we are all pulling for u.

Glad to hear Dove is doing so well Rebecca. It's special that your whole family can enjoy having her at your "fingertips". It's nice to have a silver lining to the clouds once in a while. She looks like she's quite enjoying the attention. I know she doesn't want to be outside these days! :no:

Heather

Dove is so lucky to have owners like you. Great news that she has pulled through and well on her way.

She is so cute!
default_yes.gif
:

default_yes.gif
: Try some baby sneakers for her feet, some folks on another fourm use them for driving and the mall and walking on pavement.

Latest posts

Back