Can't Believe It ---

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
I always read the posts of everyone losing their horses on here and it usually just makes me feel so horrible - I don't post as I never know what to say as I'm usually in tears. People tell me I'm too sensitive - maybe.

Well today Rory went out to water horses and he came running back into the house and told me Remington was dead. I couldn't believe it. She was my 16.2 hand black/white paint mare. She had just foaled July 5th with a really handsome tri color colt who is very tall - measured yesterday at 45". I called the vet and he told me it sounded as if she had had a prolapsed uterus. I didn't know they could do this several days after birth - as she was absolutely fine yesterday - and she had cleaned good after the birth. This was here 5th foal.

I went to the vet and got Foal Lac - so far I have not been able to get the little big guy to accept the bottle - he just keeps screaming for mom. Which he was lying next to her when I went out as soon as Rory ran in.

Man this hurts so bad, I've have cried all afternoon and when I don't think I have any more tears to cry I start again. My horses are my family not just horses as they are to so many other people.

Anyway if you guys could send up prayers that I can get Pretty Boy as I've been calling him to drink from the bottle and that I don't lose him also, I would very much appreciate it. Am going out now to try again - please if anyone has any good ideas for me - let me hear them. I also need to come up with a better name for him - his mom was Remington and was not registered, just my big girl that had also been born here 10 years ago, and the Stallion we sold in March was registered BA Clipso, but we called him Virgil. Thanks so much to all - and again any ideas send them my way - wish me luck!!! Vickie

I am so sorry you lost the mare. I don't have any ideas for feeding your foal but I'm betting someone on here will be able to offer you their experiences............. Best of luck to you in seeing him through this fragile & tender age.

I'm sooooo sorry! I will keep you and your family and your precious foal in my thoughts and pray that he will get the hang of it with the bottle soon and that he adjusts to mom being gone soon, too.

HUGS!!!!

no.gif
I'm so sorry..I have not had to bear the pain of losing one of my babies...I have read on the forum where some have had luck getting them to drink out of a bowl...I will send prayers your way for you and your guy....Good Luck!!

Oh Vickie, I am soooo terribly sorry for the sudden and unexpected loss of your mare. I hope and pray you can get the colt to eat. Good Luck. (((((HUGS)))))

Had 2 week old orphan filly, tried every kind of bottle and finally as last resort, put milk in a shallow bowl and she drank it all..did that till weaned..worked great..

also have you checked to see if you might find a "nanny" horse you could use to nurse him? Hard to find but worth a try.

Best of luck, Maxine

I am so very very sorry for your loss.

Have you been in touch with the vet? If the foal is really distressed, a feeding tube may be needed until the foal is strong enough to use a bottle or bowl.

With Prints, she had a feeding tube put in, and tried the bowl and when the feeding tube came out we worked very hard to get her to use the bowl.

Use a wooden bowl, something about the texture they prefer. Coat it in Karo Syrup so foal will WANT to get it. Add only about an ounce of milk at a time, as he drinks, add more. Don't fill the bowl, they want to lick and less milk makes that possible for them.

The only bottle I ever got Prints to use was the new Playtex, called Natural Latch Nipple.

Good luck!

I don't know if it would work with a foal or not, as I've only had to deal with orphaned calves, but... Maybe you could try a little of the milk on your fingers and put your finger in his mouth and get his suck reflex going, then stick the nipple in while he's sucking on your fingers. It has worked for me the last two years with orphaned calves. They do fight it the first couple of tries, but then it dawns on them that it tastes good and the rest as they say is history.

My foals to date have all been pigs and I haven't had to worry about them taking any feed that has been offered.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Maybe you should try the bowl idea. It seems to have worked well for some other people. I sure hope the foal will be alright. Our prayers are with you. Keep us updated.

Wanted to add, since he has already had the mare's milk, taste may have something to do with it in the bottle. Add Karo to the milk and see if that helps. We didn't have that problem with Prints, she hadn't nursed from the mare. She started nursing at two weeks and was supplementing with the bowl, by the look on her face, the milk in the bowl was not near as good.

If using a 6 ounce bottle, I'd add about a full tablespoon until he decides he likes it, and cut back over the next 4 feedings. May give him a little bit of the runs, but it will go away as soon as syrup is taken away.

I am sooo sorry that this has happened! I feel terrible for your great loss.

I just got back in - he wouldn't drink - I will try the bowl - plan on going out in about 15 mins again - the vet wants him to drink 1 1/2 pints every 3 hours. So need to get him going - he is still up - still screaming for mom. I have cried so much my head hurts. I try to put the cheery face on when I go in with him as I know he can sense my feelings. He did make me laugh as he tried nursing from my underarm - if only I could put the nipple under there for him. It is going to be one long night. I will also take the karo out with me - I don't know why I didn't even think of this (obviously my mind isn't working to great right now) as we have used it many times for lambs and goats. Had a vet laugh me out of his office once when I told him I used karo on the nipples to get goats to suck - needless to say I don't use this vet anymore. Thanks so so much - I really do appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts and ideas. I will keep you posted on how things go - think positive - I will keep you posted on the progress that we make. I always hoped I would never have to make a post like this - and it isn't even on a mini - hope you guys don't mind.

How big is the bottle???? Put it under your arm. If that is where he wants to go, or wherever he wants to go, but the bottle there, stick the nipple forward.

When trying the bowl, do not put it all in at once, he needs to get the idea to lick first so there needs to be less. Prints started to drink it like horses drink water on about the 3 or 4th day, then you can put it all in.

I'm so sprry for your loss. I'll keep your colt in my prayers.

Hi,

We know a man who has about 120 or so walking horses. My father works full time on his farm and I try to help when I have a chance to get away from my job. But with this many horses he has lost a couple of mares nursing foals that we would have to raise for him. We never had any luck getting these babies to nurse a bottle. What we did was took a bucket, somewhat similar to a childs toy or maybe a little sand bucket like children use on the beach and mixed the formula in that and they would drink out of that just fine. They seem to drink it faster this way. I wish you the very best of luck with your foal and sorry for the lose of your mare.

Josh

I'm very sorry to hear you lost your mare. I had a similar experience that put me off breeding forever. It's not easy to raise an orphan, exhausting as I recall, but it certainly can be done if you can make the commitment and have the time. Yes a bucket leads to more success than a bottle. I let my colt suck my first two fingers and slowly lower his muz into the bucket. After a bit he caught on and didn't need my assistance anymore to drink.

Best wishes and like you I rarely post on these threads too because it makes me so emotional.

Shirley

Im so sorry for your loss. Sure hope your foal comes around and starts eating for u.

I'm so sorry that your having to go through this. It has to hurt so badly losing your mare and now your going to have very little rest.
sad.gif

If he isn't nursing good enough by tomorrow you might want to get him tubed and see if the vet will leave it in for a couple days. Just til your sure he's gotten the swing of things.

Best of Luck with your little orphan baby.

Debi

You might try some goats milk with the karo syrup mixed in. I've personally never had any luck getting a foal to drink the powdered milk replacers, especially not once the foal has had mare's milk.

I like a plastic bottle so I can stick the nipple in baby's mouth & give the bottle a squeeze, and get some milk into him--he gets to taste the milk (& hopefully will be hungry & decide he likes that stuff!!) but it comes out of the nipple gently enough that he isn't going to aspirate any of it. I have used a small syringe to start with, but you have to be very careful with that.

I'm so sorry to hear about Remington, and I hope you can get baby to start drinking from a bottle or pail.

Latest posts

Back