Can't Believe It ---

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I had to raise a arabian filly on foal-lac. She was 5 days old when we had to start, same thing wouldn't drink from a bottle, so we used a shringe and squirted the milk in her mouth, once she got a taste of it, we fed her with a shringe for a day or so then put it in a bowl and she drank it up no problem. She just turned 2 in June and has a new owner who loves her dearly.

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. I pray things continue to go well with the colt, and that you manage to rest as well, it is a daunting task raising any orphaned animal. Will be watching for updates...

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Hope things work out for you and the colt.

Hugs

Bonnie

Just saw this post and had to read through each page to make sure he was eating. We have an orphan foal too, but she came home from the hospital on a bottle, so it wasn't something we had to work at. Believe me - eating out of the pan is SOOOO much better.

Our prayers for his continued progress and healing for you are on their way.

Vickie,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mare. We've recently been through it too and are still grieving. It's been over a couple of months now and Jeffie is 3+ months old.

You've made your first hurdle with your little colt with his accepting a bucket. We had to go through the bottle stage.

I recommend that you also offer him a dish of Foal Lac pellets mixed with Mare&Foal Grain. Our little guy was given this option and after a couple of weeks he was eating from both sources. Initially we were feeding him every 2 hours, but were able to stretch that out gradually.......He told us by how willing he was to eat.

By the time he was about 5 weeks old or so, he was more interested in eating the grain mixture and ignoring the liquid. We also kept a fresh bucket of water available at all times.

Initially, he also needed an enema because of the change in his diet, so be prepared for that.

Please feel free to put us on your PM list if you want to ask any questions. Believe me, we know what you are and will be going through!

Blessings,

MA

Latest posts

Back