Can't Believe It ---

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottle fed a foal for 3 months until he was eating on his own. As someone said earlier, put Karo syrup on the nipple and mix some in the formula. You might want to get him sucking on your finger and slip the nipple in along with your finger. Wherever that foal wants to nurse I would put that bottle till he gets the idea.

Sending you good thoughts and prayers. My sympathy for the loss of your mare.

Robin

First off I am so sorry about your dear mare. She is still watching you, though, and she left that baby fit and healthy, so we've got to get you through this. It is emotionally draining so make sure you get lots of sleep and eat properly. I had a complete physical breakdown once the first foal I did was out of the woods, just collapsed. So- learn from me!! I've never had any use for bottles with a baby that is not going to go back on Mama- have you tried for a Foster Mama?? If you are not going that route, get him onto a bowl ASAP. I found they took the bowl more readily. Make the hole in the teat bigger - you are using a Lamb Teat, right??Stick the teat in the side of the mouth and let the milk dribble. Once he starts to swallow move it slowly round to the front and move it back and forth until he takes hold. Do not hold it too high- remember he is used to Mama's height bag, the instinct is to hold it right up but he will have been nursing with his head on one side and little above shoulder level, try to keep it there. Offer him the bowl/bucket before and after each feed, so he has a choice. Milk in the bottle should be warmish, milk in the bowl/bucket can be cold, which is another plus at at 2am (believe me!!) The first one I did was from birth so we had to get the colostrum off the mare, at least your darling did that for you, so you have no worries about health and antibodies. I would definitely get the Vet to tube him whilst you are working out what to do. The very best of Luck, keep us posted on everything , if you can, but make sure you pace yourself, it's a LONG journey!!

I don't know a darn thing about orphaned foals, but I do know about losing a four-legged member of your family. I can't imagine what it's like to lose one that way and my heart goes out to you. Prayers for you and Remington's baby!

And you're right, he needs a better name than "Pretty Boy." Something to pay tribute to his mother perhaps?

Leia

Oh no...I am so sorry for your loss...I'll keep the foal and you in my prayers..

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mare. It must be such a shock to you. I'm hoping and praying that you can get the foal to eat and I hope you have some help with him. Hugs to you.

I'm so very sorry for your loss...I can only imagine what is like to lose a mare..You have gotten some great advice on here about the feeding..good luck..and I love Rabbitsfizz name Remingtons Legacy...We had a colt born the day my husband went to the hospital. My husband died 3 days later and he never got to see the colt who is a maximum sabino (solid white) eery in its own right and we named him Zachary Farms Sweet Legacy...Legacy is the colt in my avatar..It is a great name....God Bless you, your little colt and your angel mare..

I'm so terribly sorry and am sending prayers for you baby and you all.

I'm so sorry about your mare!

I hope things are going better for your boy this morning!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooo sooo sorry you lost your mare. Please keep us posted on how the colt does, okay?

I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. My horses are family too, I can't imagine the pain you are in. Now you have to do one last thing for Remmington. You need to be the mom for her foal. I work at a equine vet clinic and see orphaned foals sometimes. Usually they will use a small bucket or bowl quicker than a bottle. Good luck, but if you can't get the foal to eat call your vet cause they can help. My prayers are with you! Remember eyveryone cares and wants to help you through this in any way we can.

SO sorry to hear of your terrible loss!! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Several good ideas for feeding your boy, and I hope that the news this morning is good. (((((HUGS)))))

Heather

I'm so sorry, how horrible to lose your dear mare! How is the colt this morning, has he figured out how to eat yet? You poor thing you must be EXHAUSTED. {{{hugs}}}

Well things are looking up - thankfully. We have made progress after a long long night. I was with the colt until 1 trying to get him to drink - finally I hooked a bucket on the chain around the gate with the milk plus karo in it. When I went back out at 3 it was gone - I was hoping he had drank it and not messed with the bucket enough to spill it out. I poured the bottle of milk into the bucket and held the bucket - finally he drank about 1 pint of the 1 1/2 pints - so I hung what was left with the chain again. I went out at 6 this morning - didn't even bother trying to get him to take the bottle - just poured it into the bucket and stepped back - it was still hanging - after some calling for mom still - he went to the bucket and put his head in and drank. I have been mixing karo in the milk - think this has helped - it sure makes it smell sweeter anyway.

I have him by himself as I had put him in with a yearling mini and she proceeded to kick the snot out of him. I know he needs to have horse sense so will maybe let him in with her again today and see how it goes - all my big horses shun him too - and with them being out on pasture, I want him where I can keep an eye on him and feed him. If you have suggestions on this - please also let me know.

Thanks so much for everyone's help - he usually is lying down when I go out but hops up when he hears me at the outside gate. Again thank you - all of you guys are great. Am going to go try and catch 30 mins of sleep before going back out - but thought I needed to give you all an update - I will still keep you all posted

Vickie

I'm happy he is drinking milk!!! You must be so relieved. He's taken a big step towards being okay now that he will take nurishment.

I am so so very sorry for your loss. I too am still grieving at our loss and just when you think you are okay it hits you all over again
no.gif
The people on this forum are amazing and many have gone through unexpected loss. Lean on them for awhile, they won't mind
biggrin.gif
and don't bottle it up, that may help for now but it will come back and flood you and the grieving process will take longer. Look to the future as I have decided to do. I am so happy to hear that your little guy is drinking, that is wonderful
aktion033.gif
You will be in my thoughts and prayers (hugs)

Great news this morning so glad your boy is eating. Prayers for you and him from Maine.

My orphan foal this year would not take a bottle either. She finally started drinking out of a small bucket. To keep her going the vet fed her through a tube to keep up her strength. Watch out signs of colic or problems passing stool. My little girl needed mineral oil two times with the foal-lac milk. Make sure your baby has plenty of water to drink too. If you have another mare with milk, collect that and feed the foal through a tube - it is better than the foal-lac. A nurse mare would be even better but they are hard to find.

My baby has graduated to the foal-lac pellets and now gets them mixed with a little Equine Junior. She is now 3.5 months old.

Good luck - my prayers are with you and your little one.

(((((HUGS, Vickie!!!)))))

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mare, what a shock!!! I am happy to hear your little boy is taking the milk bucket. My thoughts are with you today.

I am so sorry for you loss and that of the little big baby. I'm sure you are both heart sick. Praying for you and hope someone can help you on the feeding.

Latest posts

Back