Canon Bone Measurement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladydoc

Reaction score
I'm new to mini's and expecting my first foal any day. Everyone talks about the canon bone measurement in predicting adult height. How do you take the measurement? How do you do the calculation? Is this a very accurate way to predict adult height? Thanks for the help
default_smile.png

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the method you've inquired about, but many do feel that it is 'reasonably' dependable....

You need to measure while the foal is fairly young, but after it has at least a few days to 'unfurl' after birth, IMO. Most accurate will likely be a dressmaker's (soft) tape. The horse should be standing up straight on all four. Find the center of the knee joint, measure straight down(don't try to follow the 'contour' of the front of the leg; measure 'straight') to the coronet(where the hair meets the 'top edge' of the hoof ). To 'predict' adult height, you multiply that measure by four, add 2"(some say one inch, but 2" is what I go by, and I believe, is the most commonly-used figure.)

You aren't ACTUALLY measuring 'the cannon bone', you are measuring the cannon PLUS the whole of the pastern and fetlockand the bones that make them up. The cannon itself is thought to be as long as it will EVER be at birth, although the 'ends' of it will solidify and 'grow' until maturity--even so, that is why it is thought to be the one to use for this 'prediction'.

Good luck with your foal.

Margo

I'm new to mini's and expecting my first foal any day. Everyone talks about the canon bone measurement in predicting adult height. How do you take the measurement? How do you do the calculation? Is this a very accurate way to predict adult height? Thanks for the help
default_smile.png

I appreciate your detailed reply. the cannon bone is no longer a mystery. do some people use birth height to predict adult height?

I usually wait until foals are 2 days old to unfurl a bit, measure as accurately as possible with a leveled measuring stick and add 10". That seems to be a good indicator for us +/- 1/2 inch. Plus there is a foaling height calculator on the Lil Begs information pages that gives you a good guideline. If you do all three, cannon bone, etc. and average it, you should get close to mature height. Of course, foals are like kids, they go through growth spurts...... I have had foals fool me before.

I have kept records on the height chart and the cannon bone for a few years and find that they are not that accurate. Especially the height chart. The cannon bone is a bit more accurate, but can still be off by an inch or so.

As for the cannon bone, you should be able to measure that the same length at any age.

default_smile.png

I appreciate all the help. I am about to make my first big purchase in the miniatures. He is a beautiful little few spot colt, but he is only a few months old and of course I am nervous paying out this much money for him not knowing for sure what I will get as he grows. Anything specific I should look at when I go to check him out. I guess other than the obvious teeth etc.?

Have a Pre-Purchase vet check done! It will be well worth the money, IMO.

Enjoy your new one-

Peggy

Latest posts

Back