Cannon Bone Measurement ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
New to all of this and wanted to find out what everyone considers the ‘cannon’ bone for measurement sake. I am thinking just at the mid level knee joint (under the top 2 bones of the knee) to the top of the fetlock joint but am not sure this is what everyone else considers/is measuring.

2nd thing is any guesses on how big my new boy will be. Dam is 32”, sire is 34” both have nothing showing on papers that is over 34” but this boy is ALL legs – makes me think tiny Shetland more than mini. (if someone wants to email me / and post pics for me – I’d greatly appreciate it as I still can’t load them)

I don’t own a measuring stick but with a general tape but at 5 days old Tex seems to be 23.5 inches tall and most of the leg is forearm. ‘cannon’ is 5.75 to 6 inches… any guesses on mature size?

Cannon bone measurement is from the middle of the knee to top of the hoof X by 4 and Add 2

This has been pretty accurate for me.

crease of the knee to coronet band times 4 plus 2 equals mature height plus or minus 1/2 inch. Been very accurate for me, but have to wait until they are 3 months old for it to come out right.... I've watched and studied the other height predictors and none of them have been very accurate with my bloodlines, feed program whatever, but the cannon measurement is pretty good.

Latest posts

Back