Canine Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
My 8 year old Corgi/Border Collie cross has been throwing up with a small amount of blood. It is mostly bile with a few drops, we've made an appointment with the vet but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with them. What was the outcome and treatment? Lucy is a very picky eater and only eats small amounts at a time, she has always been this way ever since a pup. I'm wondering if they are ulcers, if the acid in her stomach is irritating her because she eats such small amounts leaving her stomach partially full or empty most of the time.

100_7787.JPG

October 13, 2011 (12).JPG

I had this same problem with an old bulldog, vet reccomended rantidine (active ingredient in human antacids,zantac) Call your vet first for dosage,hope this helps your pup feel better.

My mini aussie has severe food allergies, SEVERE! She is extremely picky about food since she associates much of it with her pain/discomfort. She will throw up clear bile/ phlegm when she feels off and won't eat, most likely the phlegm is due to an empty belly. I think you are probably correct about the empty stomach, but the cause may be more than just ulcers. I would strongly suggest having a blood panel for allergies sent out to be done.

My poor girl was stressed with everyone visiting for a week and since SIL was not a dog person, I think it stressed her out even more. She is now off of her science diet prescription dog food for severe allergies, my only choice was to start making home made food for her using things I know she tested okay for. Right now she is eating chicken and oatmeal. Not the most balanced diet, but at least she is eating it. A calorie is a calorie, at least she can digest it. She can't afford to loose any more weight. It is either that or she doesn't eat all all. There are foods that she tested okay with, but they seem a little too rich and cause her to get an upset belly anyway....it's very difficult and frustrating, she can not digest rice very well, eventhough she tested ok for it, eggs don't sit we'll with her either, but she can supposedly eat them.

We had our appointment with the vet yesterday. He says they should be able to be managed by taking Famotidine Tablets. My vet also recommended giving her lighter meats like chicken and fish mixed with her dog food. Hopefully we will see some improvement.

Back