Cancer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
Hi guys

some of you might know, my grandpa just pased away, and it was from a type of cancer called colonrectol, then it went to his lever and his bones, I have raised money for cancer when i can like for walks and such, but i want to do something more, my friend vanessa has rasied money for cancer aswell, but we want to do more, not just a walk here and there, something that will really show what cancer is and how it affects people, any ideas?

Cara I don't have any suggestions but I did want to say that I'm sure your Grandfather is proud of you for trying to do something like this in his honor. Good luck with whatever you come up with!

Cara

Contact your American Cancer Society chapter in your area. I know they would love to have your help!! Bless you for doing that and Im so sorry about your Grandfather

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. I don't have any ideas for you but I applaud you for wanting to make a difference!!

You might want to consider signing up to be a bone marrow/stem cell donor. It's quite simple - all that is needed is a simple blood or tissue test, and then you're put on the registry. You can fill out a form on the Canadian Blood Services website, and someone will contact you to arrange the test. Then once you're in the registry, if it turns out that you're a match for someone who has cancer and needs a bone marrow transplant, you'll be contacted and asked to give your marrow or stem cells at that time. I learned about this process from a friend whose son died of cancer. I don't think it's very well known, but it's a great way to help because there is really a huge need for donors. Many who need a transplant don't find a match, so the more people in the registry, the better.

Here are a couple of informative websites:

Canadian Blood Services:

Katelyn Bedard Bone Marrow Association

interesting article

thats a good ideam but i cant give blood, i have medical issues with my blood and dont allow me to give blood! i might look into the bone part tho

So sorry about your grandfather. May God bring comfort to your heart as wonderful thoughts of him come to mind.
default_yes.gif
Our grandparents are so special. You're doing such a wonderful thing in his honor.

God bless,

Joan

You might want to consider signing up to be a bone marrow/stem cell donor. It's quite simple - all that is needed is a simple blood or tissue test, and then you're put on the registry. You can fill out a form on the Canadian Blood Services website, and someone will contact you to arrange the test. Then once you're in the registry, if it turns out that you're a match for someone who has cancer and needs a bone marrow transplant, you'll be contacted and asked to give your marrow or stem cells at that time. I learned about this process from a friend whose son died of cancer. I don't think it's very well known, but it's a great way to help because there is really a huge need for donors. Many who need a transplant don't find a match, so the more people in the registry, the better.

Here are a couple of informative websites:

Canadian Blood Services:

Katelyn Bedard Bone Marrow Association

interesting article
[SIZE=12pt]Yes! these are FABULOUS, life saving programs that espeicially need minority donors! I'm a registered donor. I registered at least 8-10 years ago.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back