cancelled show- legal? right?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
the last qualifying show before nationals has just been canceled

it is only 2 weeks until the show- show bills just arrived in the mail
default_new_shocked.gif

there are no other shows close enough to use to qualify this late in the game

if the show was cancelled 60 days or even 30 days out there would have been plenty of other options

we are so close to nationals- entries already went in for these horses
default_no.gif

can they legally do this?

is there a way to get exemptions to go to nationals or world b/c of the cancelled show?

in amhr rules, it talks about cancelations from weather or saftey issues?

but assuming that there aren't enough horses to pay for an exorbidently expensive show doesn't seem right?!

Part 11 – Cancellation of a Horse Show

A. The ASPC/AMHR Show Manager may cancel a

sanctioned show by providing the ASPC/AMHR with

written notice of cancellation. If notice is received at

least 60 days prior to the first day of the show, 75% of

the fees shall be refunded. If less than a 60-day notice

is given, no refund will be allowed, and all fees paid

for the cancelled show shall be forfeited. If the

cancellation is due to severe weather or other acts of

natural disaster, the fees paid will be refunded to the

Show Manager, less a $20.00 office fee. Any other

dues, fees, fines, or indebtedness, owing to the

ASPC/AMHR is not affected by this provision.

B. An ASPC/AMHR Show Manager may be revoked by

the Board of Directors if such show fails to abide by

the Bylaws and rules of the ASPC/AMHR for holding

and conducting horse shows or without reasonable

cause, fails to hold its show(s) on the date(s) assigned

to it.C. An Interruption of Show Procedure can cause the

cancellation of shows. In the event of a storm or other

emergency rendering the condition of the show

grounds unsafe for the holding of a horse show, the

judgment to cancel shall be between the show

committee and at least one National Director of the

ASPC/AMHR and/or the National Office. If cancelled,

the show committee must notify the exhibitors by

every means available; i.e. radio, televisi on, phone, in

person, and the like. The show should not be cancelled

unless it is impossible for horses or ponies to perform

safely.

the last qualifying show before nationals has just been canceledit is only 2 weeks until the show- show bills just arrived in the mail
default_new_shocked.gif

there are no other shows close enough to use to qualify this late in the game

if the show was cancelled 60 days or even 30 days out there would have been plenty of other options

we are so close to nationals- entries already went in for these horses
default_no.gif

can they legally do this?

is there a way to get exemptions to go to nationals or world b/c of the cancelled show?

in amhr rules, it talks about cancelations from weather or saftey issues?

but assuming that there aren't enough horses to pay for an exorbidently expensive show doesn't seem right?!
Wow Keely, that's horrible!! I'd call AMHR first thing in the morning and talk to them about it. I would THINK you'd be able to get an exemption if your horses were already partially qualified, but I don't know of any rule to support that.

Since you can get Lenard to verify that the horses in question have indeed already been entered with that show as one of their qualifying shows, that may save you! Good for you for getting your entries in early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Keely that stinks!
default_nono.gif
I dont' know about AMHR for sure they are probably like AMHA and there is a provision where if you as the exhibitor make a legitimate attempt to show and can't for some reason outside your control the qualifying requirement is waived.

I agree, call the office first thing tomorrow! Good luck!

Good Luck with that, let us know.

My horse died !!!! and I had to get a replacement. They did not care, told me I had to get 2 shows/4 judges in, NO EXCEPTIONS , I hope you can change their minds, I couldn't. I had to drive 14.5 hours to Lincoln NE to be qualified.

But now, $600 later in fuel costs
default_wacko.png
- I'm qualified!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Keep us posted.....

Good Luck with that, let us know.
My horse died !!!! and I had to get a replacement. They did not care, told me I had to get 2 shows/4 judges in, NO EXCEPTIONS , I hope you can change their minds, I couldn't. I had to drive 14.5 hours to Lincoln NE to be qualified.

But now, $600 later in fuel costs
default_wacko.png
- I'm qualified!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Keep us posted.....
Angela,

Something assures me you're not, but I sure wished you were kidding about that.
default_no.gif
You go through the trauma of your dear boy passing and they say basically "too bad?" That's just not right. :DOH!

I don't get the part where it says you would only get part of the money back. I DON'T THINK SO!!! I'd stop payment on the check.

Who is AMHR to decide if a show is refunding the money? Not their business as far as I'm concerned.

First things first, call AMHR and see what to do. Good luck!

I had one show cancelled the day it was to be held due to lack of entries. Full refunds were given.

ruffian, I think that wording about refunds refers to the fees that the show pays to AMHR--it is not the fees paid to the show by exhibitors.

But the part not told is this is the 6th show in FL this year and not the first one put on by this group. The first two shows had less than 30 horses entered. I can understand wanting to cancel it, someone has to pay the bills when the entries won't cover them. I sure wouldn't want it out of my pocket.

there was good reason for the 30 horses at those first shows

the first two shows were in the middle of a herpes virus outbreak in florida

noone was at shows- they were afraid to haul their horses

and many areas were under quarentine

those should have been canceled b/c of concern for the horses' saftey

that was over a year ago

The club's prior show was held in May - seems to me like it should have been cancelled earlier after all bills were paid for that show. As I am not a member anymore, there may have been extenuating circumstances that led to the late cancellation - I don't know.

If they manage to get 120 horses over the two days and the show does go on as Pat's last post (see her other post) says, I'll be there with one and Kristy will be there with one - we only need another 118. Come on Florida!!!

The other part of this as MinimomNC says, there have been a lot of shows in Florida to qualify for both Nationals and Worlds. I'm sure some people are trying to qualify other horse, maybe they sold the ones they qualified earlier or something. Bottom line is I hope it works out - hate to see a show cancelled - even if it will be hotter than you know what in Okeechobee. Been there done that in the past, but still a sucker and will do it again.

Barbie

You said that you had already sent in your entries. Don't you have to be qualified in the classes before you send in your entries?

Linda Kern

Caribbean Dreams Miniatures

Me and my horses were there!! There was no quarantine for that area.

Keely,

Are you going to AMHR Nationals? If so, isn't your horse qualified for everything or nothing? I mean there isn't separate qualification for AMHR Nationals for youth right? I could be wrong but I thought the horse showed at two shows under 4 judges and then it was qualified for all classes at Nationals. Am I missing something?

not only does the horse have to qualify but the youth has to show it at 1 show before nationals

my horse is qualified for me in ammy and open but the kids haven't shown him at an amhr show yet

yes there are plenty of florida shows before summer

and i qualified my horse at those

but...

i'm a school teacher

and the youth classes are always earlier in the show than i can make it there

since i have to teach friday and usually head to shows saturday morning

i usually wait until the summer shows to bring my horses for friday/saturday shows for the kids

I am sorry you are having to go through this experience. I know how you feel- I pd my entries for my second qualifying show that was held a week ago and about three hours before I was scheduled to go, we had a death of a family member and I wasn't able to attend. I called AMHR office to see if there was any way I could still qualify for Nationals- but, no way. So, guess I won't be going to Nationals either. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Peggy

I am sorry you are having to go through this experience. I know how you feel- I pd my entries for my second qualifying show that was held a week ago and about three hours before I was scheduled to go, we had a death of a family member and I wasn't able to attend. I called AMHR office to see if there was any way I could still qualify for Nationals- but, no way. So, guess I won't be going to Nationals either. I hope you have better luck than I did.Peggy
This is just amazing to me!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm so disappointed in the office/registry for not having some type of provision in place to allow people who encounter circumstances beyond their control to still show at Nationals.
default_nono.gif
If it were me, I'd be raising such a stink! :arg! It may not help but I sure would let everyone know what I thought about it.
default_new_argue.gif

default_new_shocked.gif
I am in shock over how nice AMHR... But I'm sure there would be people out there who would try to cheat the system and fake such sad things.
default_no.gif

I am sorry for everyones' losses by the way
default_unsure.png

default_new_shocked.gif
I am in shock over how nice AMHR... But I'm sure there would be people out there who would try to cheat the system and fake such sad things.
default_no.gif
This is the problem, WHO makes the call over who gets exemptions and who doesn't. It stinks, but if there are NO exemptions, it's really the only way it can be fair to everyone
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back