Can you trail ride with a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
People kept saying drive, drive, drive and I really never seen it before until someone sent me this video. OMG! this looks like a blast!

Can you trail ride with one horse and do this alongside or in front? Or is not recommended?

I know in our area there are wagon trails. They are more maintained and have less steep angles to make it easier on the horses. They are predominantly used by big horses and drafts, but have been used by ponies and mini's before. I would def say it is possible. But you would have to find the wider and more maintained trails.

That's good to know.

There's one area in our town that is flat and open and I always liked to ride there because it was flat and you could see for miles. I don't like hills at all.
default_smile.png

Like this....

dubetrail3.jpg

The horse in that video isn't really trail driving, just going around a field nicely. Yes you can take them out on the trails and it's very enjoyable for both horse and driver. It's important to change your harness around so it's more comfortable for the horse in a real world situation (like loosening or removing the check, adding breeching, and maybe padding some of the narrower harness straps so the horse can lean into them better) but you can use the same cart and harness. You can go out with riding horses as long as the horses have a chance to get used to the minis and the idea of something pulling a cart. A lot of big horses spook really badly the first time they see one.

It's lots of fun to have a group of you out together.

Leia

default_laugh.png
Well........we sort of have! If the trails are decent enough you can take your mini in a cart. Larry calls it "four-wheeling with a mini" ! Our gelding, Rider, is getting too old for it now, but he used to LOVE it!!!!

Our club held a pleasure drive on July 26th up by the water in Owen Sound, Ontario (see the post on the photos/video forum) and you will see our pics. We had a blast
default_yes.gif

Yvonne

Down here we have a TON of wide, driveable trails. My guys lOVE it! Around Fort Worth is the Trinity Trail systems and horses are WELCOME.

Lucy

We have a wonderful "Linear Park," aka Rails to Trails path that we drive on several times a week. It is intended for equestrians, bicyclists and pedestrians. It connects with another similar trail, and goes past a state park that offers horse camping and riding trails (some of which may be suitable for driving).

We also have many miles of logging roads, but some of this has nasty, sharp rocks that may require boots and all-terrain tires.

We have some parks that you can trail ride/drive in. There are 18 miles of trails in the park about 15 minutes from me. We havent gone yet, its too hot and buggy right now, but this fall I'm hoping for weekly trips. There are woods at the end of my street with some ATV trails we have done that, Abby really likes it. It's a great change of pace for one in training. Kathy

Yes! It is possible. I have driven Spyder all over the countryside on wide trails and on atv and dirt biking trails. I have to keep an ear out for approaching dirt bikes and atvs, but it's very enjoyable for Spyder and I! I add extra padding to his harness and I make double sure my breeching is well fitted and off we go! We go up hills, down hills, over bridges, through water, you name it! It really does wonders for Spyders frame of mind (and mine!), especially during a busy show season. I let Spyder pick the pace and I try not to interfere with him. I think he should have fun and enjoy the world at his own pace. It's a sort of mental break for him from arena work.

Latest posts

Back