can you stand one more question from me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
since red had his episode of colic on monday, i have been simply paranoid about doing everything just right. my question is, since he has not been worked a lot and he's a little on the paunchy side (or maybe he has big bones
default_wacko.png
: )...okay, he's pleasingly plump, there i said it...how much is too much?

i had him out this morning but he was hitched up and working for only about 15 minutes. we just went up the lane to get the morning paper and back to the house. would i be overdoing it if i took him out a mile and back a mile tomorrow morning (or evening) while it's cooler? i want to work him up gradually, obviously, and will extend a very little bit with each time out but i need some guidance as to where to start.

thanks again!
default_smile.png

I dont know if I would go a mile I would only increese in 5 to 10 miniuetes at a time. Lorie

thanks for the bump and it looks like 5 or 10 minutes is all we'll do anyway, if that, because it's gonna get warm...no wait, HOT...today. bleh!!

In addition to the brain & attention span, you condition two systems w/ a horse- the body & the lungs. "Long, slow, distance" conditions the ligaments, tendons & muscles of the body. "Sprints" condition the lungs.

For fitting up a driving mini who hasn't been in work I might start Week 1 with something like this:

Monday- 20 minutes walking.

Tuesday- 20 minutes walking.

Wedsday- 15 minutes walking, 5 minutes trotting.

Thursday- no work

Friday- 15 minutes walking, 5 minutes trotting

Saturday- 20 minutes walking

Sunday- no work.

The next week I would increase driving time each day by 5-10 minutes of walking and add two trot sessions on "trot days" so that he did 10 minutes total trotting time. I'd probably add trotting to the Monday drive but in a one short session, IOW, half the amount of time I planned to trot the following day. This presumes your driving on level ground. If you have hills at your disposal then add them into your fitting up drive time in moderation. A hill will require a strong body & strong lungs. Double whammy.
default_smile.png

Monitor your horse's willingness and temperment at the start of each drive. If he is crabby make sure he isn't sore or being rubbed by something in the cart or harness. He could just be mentally crabby getting back into the groove of work though my guys love their work. I have to REALLY be careful w/ them because they might not be driven for a month or longer so I can't trash them out the first drive after a long break.

Also, once a mature horse has been fitted up it's easier to fit them up after time off than it is to fit up a young horse for the first time because the young horse is developing muscles while the mature horse is simply getting back into shape.

Good luck!
default_yes.gif
:

thanks much SkipsMom! that looks like a schedule i could adhere to easily since i still have a couple of hours of daylight left when i get home from work. red seems to really love going and he's such an easy little guy to get along with. i'm really looking forward to getting him in shape so we can go cruising for more than 10 or 15 minutes!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back