Can you help a newbie out with foal color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
I'm looking around for a buddy for my filly Goldilocks. I'd like to get a foal, and have a couple colors I'm interested in (on top of conformation and registry), but I don't know how to tell the colors when they are young. So what do you look for in the foal coat to know if a horse is silver dapple? buckskin? or silver bay?

Thanks for your help!

Jen

I'm looking around for a buddy for my filly Goldilocks. I'd like to get a foal, and have a couple colors I'm interested in (on top of conformation and registry), but I don't know how to tell the colors when they are young. So what do you look for in the foal coat to know if a horse is silver dapple? buckskin? or silver bay?

Thanks for your help!

Jen
Hi Jen,

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniatures. Sometimes it is hard to be exactly sure about a newborn foal's color. However, by the time a foal is old enough to be weaned, it probably will have been body clipped which makes color identification a little easier. Plus, if you buy from an experienced breeder, the breeder will probably know the color of the foal. The 2nd "foal crop" here produced a lovely "sorrel" colt that I registered as "Redhawk". When I body clipped him he actually was dark silver dapple. But, now I can usually tell at birth if the foal is really sorrel or if it is silver dapple. Good luck in finding that perfect little friend for Goldilocks.

Laura

There are genetic tests that will confirm if it is a silver or not. Certain genes, especially the sabino gene, can make the foal look silver or roan.

Many breeders are now doing these color tests to confirm the color. If in doubt, we will do these before registering the foals so we are acurate.

Latest posts

Back