Can you grow a Rose in the house?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Purple Tiger

I sooooooooo love this rose, a hybrid, Purple Tiger.

But divorce has me selling the house and and I thought I'd try to grow it inside, easier to take.

Can it be done?

Special instructions?

I need a little pick me up, and would love to have one, but want to make sure first growing inside can be done.

What kind of a container and soil for inside?

Thanks

Frankie Im so sorry to hear about the divorce! Are you keeping your horses?? I sure hope so.

I think a rose could be done inside but roses need a ton of sunlight so youd have to have a really sunny spot. They do have miniature roses that can be grown inside also. I love roses!

Frankie, I was wondering the same thing..I have a few petite roses and rhody bushes that were in the plants from my brothers funeral 1 week ago. I also am on alot of african violet and house plant forums, I have asked the same question because I so desperately want these to survive. I have a close friend who hybridizes plants..she has over 200 rose bushes and cannot keep a rose alive in the home over winter. The majority of the answers I received were "they say you can, and that they are indoor plants, but no one has had any luck in doing it" other then for a year or maybe 2 winters. Even the mini bushes get to be 5' tall. I will let you know if I hear of any "secrets" to survival. I have tried the mini bushes in the past and have had no luck.

Would an indoor plant light help roses?

I don't have any other suggestions, as I barely remember to throw water at the peace lilly in my office.

indoorplants.gif

I have some miniature roses in the house, I didn't get them planted last year and so here they sit! They are in my kitchen garden window and are doing quite well, but I am going to transplant them outside when it warms up enough. I think Jill's idea of an indoor plant light should work if you don't have a solar room or garden window.
default_yes.gif

Yes, need lots of sunlight!

The "Purple Tiger" is one of my favorite non-hybrid-tea roses. Normally I just love the hybrid teas, but the Purple Tiger you would LOVE... it's so pretty and smells spicy strong! I got one for my mom on Mother's Day several years ago.

Andrea

I have mini roses here on my computer desk.

My oldest one (that I've had for 2 years now) has given me 6 flowers so far this year.

The younger two that just survived their 1st winter still seem a lil shocky but are growing well...

and my 4th one I just bought.

I water them daily and they are against a picture window.

I am not so sure the plant light would work. I raise african violets and have over 1,000 varieties, also some streps and episcias. I have tried to do the miniature rose bushes under lights and have had no success, they will do really good for the first year but over the second winter they do seem to die back and I lose them. I have all grow carts with the regular plant tubes for lights, so its about as much light as you can give them without burning them. I ahve also tried them in a bay very sunny window, they do good throughout the year, but by the second year...same thing, I was losing them.

I'm not at all a flower expert..but if it was potted..why couldn't you take them outside during the day to give them the light and bring them back in?

I think Frankie is asking about keping them more like a house plant year around. If you live in a cold climate like I do, there would be no way you could set them outside in winter, ..the temps would freeze the bush. That is why when they are planted outside, the roots should be about 5"s below the ground level, and they also need a good heavy mulch or styrofoam rose cones put over them to help keep them from freezing out.

yes i guess i relised that but i guess i assumed since they are a seasonal flower (or at least in cold climates) you wouldn't expect them to thrive through the winter months as well..but like i said..i'm not much of a flower person so dont' know these things! lol Are they like seasonal flowers that they do better with "rest" periods?

Latest posts

Back