Can you get kicked driving a Hyperbike?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragon Hill

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I know some people, myself included, wondered if a mini would be able to kick the driver in a Hyperbike. Well, yes, is the answer my friends. I wasn't surprised that it was possible, as I am one of those Murphy's Law kind of people.
But I was quite shocked that my soon to be 24, Que Pasa, who has never offered to kick before, did the deed. In her defense, it was overcast and breezy, all the horses were acting up, and I was out of sorts(mentally) and didn't take my time. When I asked for the trot, after three steps, she decided cantering would be the way to go, and when I shut her down she bucked, kicking me in the thigh. Did I mention I haven't driven her in 6 months....
The good news is, it hurt my feelings more than my leg. Now, I guess it's time to find that kicking strap I've been meaning to buy. Yee haw, y'all.

I'm sorry you got kicked!! But yes, I too have a Hyperbike, and drive a horse who gets light in the hind end as a default - if he's going to do SOMETHING, it'll be a buck. So I got a kicking strap too even though I think he'd have to try pretty hard to actually get me with the way the Hyperbike fits him (he's a larger mini and there isn't much room for him to get his feet too high). Sometimes they can be unexpectedly athletic and I definitely do not need to get kicked in the face! Glad you weren't hurt except in the feelings. 🙂

My bike shafts were too long for my 41" pony ( I had the normal size C shafts) and that meant that there was about 26" between Zorro's butt and the seat! So the ONE time he kicked out in joy, when cantering along the road, he nearly kicked me right in the face. I contacted Bob to get a short set of shafts, was horribly abused verbally and emotionally, he finally sent me a set of shafts slightly shorter, and then my Hubby cut off another 6" of shafts and now there is the appropriate amount of space between Zorro's rear and the front of the seat. And he is more settled so no kicking. LOL! It was scary for sure!

I have wondered the same thing. I've had to adjust my sulky to fit Clementine to avoid this potential problem as well. She can be stubborn and kick out in frustration on occasion so it's something I was very aware of when spacing her. I have to say I've always be interested in a hyperbike but ended up adding a lawn tractor seat to my sulky and am very happy with the results. My dream cart is a VanderVeen!

It never occured to me that I could get kicked while in the sulky, which is up close and personal to the rump. Bucking, rearing, and other assorted behaviors. The most difficult thing is exiting during an "episode". So far I've been agile enough for that challenge--so far...

Dragon Hill, what happened when she kicked you? Did you lose your balance?

Mindy, I was in total shock when my mare's rump came up so high, I can't imagine a hoof whizzing by my head. I don't understand why wanting shorter shafts would case a problem with Bob (not that I know him), but I'm sorry it was such an unpleasant experience for you. But I'm glad you were able finally get your shafts the right length for you and your adorable Zorro. I would never have been able to get my bike balanced if it wasn't for you and your helpful videos. And I'm happy to say I never felt off balance during her naughtiness.
Would you believe this is the first I've ever been kicked by a mini? Over twenty years of ownership.

Would you believe this is the first I've ever been kicked by a mini? Over twenty years of ownership.
That is amazing!! I think it means you have great awareness around them :) I trimmed miniature horse and big horse feet for many years professionally and found that the minis tend to paw and climb on me while the big horses tended to kick. (Of course there were some minis that had learned self defense and were kickers but they were so rare!)

It was a shock for sure. I had a fitness watch on and you could see the moment when his foot flew past my face. My heart rate went off the charts! LOL!

Mindy, that's amazing that you had it recorded on your watch like that! I'm not surprised your heart rate shot up!

I trimmed other people's horses for a while too. The minis usually would stand on their hind legs before kicking. I did get kicked by a mini donk once though (a terrified mini donk). It was like taking a jackhammer to the knee. The owner felt so bad but the poor thing was shaking so hard her big ears were wobbling so I couldn't blame her for kicking! Just about the last straw for me in dealing with horses not my own was when I got double-barreled in the chest by a draft cross (when trying to retrieve him from his paddock, apparently he didn't feel it was time to come in 🤪 ). Luckily he wasn't a very athletic sort or he would have gotten me in the face! Still, not worth it.

Latest posts

Back