Can you explain AMHR national area shows to me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I must be missing something. As far as I can tell, it's not the same as nationals. There is only one judge as opposed to the 2 or 3 at other shows. But it seems to be much more heavily attended, in our area at least. So what is the purpose and the benefit? I'm still a little lost on this whole showing thing, I think they make it as difficult as possible for new people.

National Area shows. Yes, 1 judge, triple points. I believe that the Shetland classes pay out futurity money (AMHR classes do not) at the area shows. Area shows offer all (nearly) the classes for every division, so that's a plus. As I recall the rule book gives a pretty good description of the area shows so I recommend reading that if you haven't already.

Thank you! That makes sense then if it's triple points. I read that nationals was triple points but if it clarified that the national area shows also were I missed it. I actually did read the rule book cover to cover twice, but I end up getting more confused than when I started. There is a lot of information in there.

Yes, being new to showing is confusing at best.😜

I've never shown the minis. Sadly, my guy isn't AMHA or AMHR registered. I don't *think* I'll be able to hardship him in to AMHA, as I measure him from 3/4"- 1 1/4" too tall. AMHR will only hardship if they're coming over from AMHA or ASPC registry.

I'll hardship him into the Pinto Horse Club, and show where I can. If, when he's measured at a show sire, he DOES qualify to hardship AMHA, I'll do it.

In the meantime, I'll attend some shows and ask questions. I last showed in the last century 😂😂😂, so I know I've many things to learn.

To get back to YOUR question, I understood from reading the rulebook that you had to qualify for Nationals by placing at Regionals...unless there were no shows for you within a specific radius. I also seem to remember that the same thing applied for Regional, you first had to qualify at another show unless there weren't any within a specific radius.

Covid changed many things on a temporary basis.

If I've explained incorrectly, I hope those that post the corrections will be kind. Sometimes tone of voice doesn't carry well over the internet, and we sound snide or dismissive when it isn't our intent to do so.

Whether it's at recognized shows (AMHA/AMHR/ASPC) or open shows, I hope your able to get out and enjoy it. It is quite fun, you'll learn bunches, and you'll make plenty of new friends.😁

The National Area shows do not require qualification ("Regionals" is not an AMHR term--that is AMHA) though the Area shows do count as qualifiers for Nationals. You can use local shows to qualify for Nationals--there is no requirement for showing at an Area show before entering Nationals.

Latest posts

Back