Can you critique my filly for me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnyfarmnorth

Reaction score
Can you critique this 3 year old filly for me. I know she is thin and in pasture condition/grooming but your comments on her conformation would be appreciated. Thanks

scandiehead2.jpg
scandieright2.jpg
scandieleft3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To my very UNtrained eye, she looks pretty. I like her color. As far as conformation goes, I'm still a beginner so I can't help. The pictures are awfully small so bigger ones would help.

First off I'd like to ask What do you plan to do with her? Alright I'll add my honest opinion I do like her color it is very flashy and she appears that she'd be a great driving horse but I don't think she'd be a halter champion in my area her head looks very plain to me and too large for the rest of her body, her ears may be a tad bit too big, her hip looks weak but possibly a better feed program may improve this. It would have helped out her overall appearence if her neck was longer and set higher on a more angulated shoulder. I really like her long legs that is a good trait of her. Again this is just my opinion from what I can see in pictures it may be different in person. ~Jessica

She is VERY pretty! Although i agree her head is a little out of porportion, and shes weak in the hip but her topline is level, her legs correct. Her neck is a little thick. IMO only!

Well, in my non-expert opinion, she looks to have nice long legs that appear to be pretty darn straight. Her topline is fairly level from what I see and her color is very flashy. Her head is plain, but not ugly at all. Her eyes seem kind and large which I think helps her head not look as plain as it could. Her neck ties in a bit low and her shoulder seems pretty straight. At the local shows in our area if you could consistantly get her to stand straight like that and maybe give her neck a bit more I actually think you'd be in the ribbons since they go to 6th place. I do not think she has a shot at the regional or national level, but I could be wrong. I'm talking halter here. Maybe in driving she would.

So, that's my honest assessment. Sorry if it offends you. She's a very flashy mare :aktion033: but not a perfect speciman.
default_yes.gif
:

Again, at the local level I've seem much lesser horses be in the ribbons. But the game changes at the regional and national/world level.

Thank you all who have commented so far,please kep them coming as it is helpful to me. I would show her mostly at local open/mini shows. I would like to train/show her in driving and my grandaughter could show her in performance type classes. We would try halter/color and see how she does too. If you notice the horse on my avatar is her father and I would love to drive them double.Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weaker almost 'ewed' neck, ties in low, with weight this would improve some, but she'd be in a round pen in a 'rig' at my house.

Over badly at the knee in the one standing shot, not so bad in the other, would make me a little leery of heavy driving, but that may just be an angle thing.

Her hip as stated before is kinda weak, but overall, despite all that, I like her.

Her plain head is not that bad, I have seen some Horrible heads win Alot, but they had killer necks and top trainers.

Her color is perfect, and makes her a more appealing animal all over, and she seems willing in the pic's to show despite her thin condition... (And Kudos to you for knowing she's thin, I've run into a whole rash of ppl lately who have thin animals and call them Refined!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek: )

I'd say she'll do well filled out in lower level halter shows and driving!

I am by far no expert on critiquing , but I think she is a beautiful mare. I love her coloring. If she fills out some, she will look complete, I would show her if she was mine
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back