Can yearling colts breed mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendy4mini

Reaction score
Ok here's the situation. A friend and myself bought the remaining herd of mini/ponies from a terrible situation. None of horses have ever been touched, wormed nothing! Just a bunch running in a large herd. We are picking them up to night. The lady sold the stallions but in the group we got are 2 yearling (we're guessing maybe 2 yr old) colts, a yearling filly, 3 mares (1 with a filly on her side) and one old mare. The lady didn't know the ages of any of horses. I guessing the old mare is 20ish, she has white around her eyes and in her flanks, she has a terrible wooble in her hips when walks as if she may have an old injury or nerve problem. One of the other mares has huge hard swelling on both sides of her cheeks (possibly a dental problem?) . The yearling? colts are in very thin and the yearling filly just pitiful. She is the only one that we could get close to and that is just because she is so weak. I hope none of these horses are bred but I scared that they might be. Any suggestions? The old mare and the one with swollen cheeks are going to the vet in the morning. We are going to separate the colts and get them in better condition and then have them gelded. The mares are totally wild. Does anyone know of a way to preg check mares other then ultrasound? Any suggestions?

These poor things really needed us. When we saw them, we both looked at each other said that we don't get them they will end up at the killers. So now we have a bunch of wild ponies
wacko.gif
One good thing is: as many of you know my only foal this year was still born at 289 days and my son's black paso fino gelding died suddenly. The filly that is in this group that is about a month old is solid black. So we do have a mini baby to love this year. I guess we were meant to get these all along.
biggrin.gif

First off- Bless You- the world needs more You's
smile.gif
aktion033.gif
smile.gif

Yes, a yearling, even a ten ,month colt can and will breed anything that stands still, and can get it in foal- Sorry
sad.gif
The yearling filly could also be pregnant- Sorry
sad.gif

Pregnamare tests will help- of course you have no idea how far they are so you will have to do it at monthly intervals until you are sure- someone on here sells the kit- who is it??? Also you can do a urine test- not as hard as you might think- invest in a bale of clean straw- put some down- herd mare into stable and wait!! Works EVERY time. To collect the urine use a small saucepan taped onto a pole
smile.gif
You will need help- if someone goes into the stall and stands in front of her but out of the way, she will focus on them but still pee- the idea is that you lean over the stall wall when she is performing, quietly. It has worked for me, but I do not know just how wild these mares are. I wish you every bit of good luck I can possibly send- Oh and the filly- whatever the Vet says do NOT worm her with ANYTHING except Panacur- it will not get everything but it will get most and you can deal with the rest when she is in better health. Anything else stands a good chance of colicking her. Again- Bless You for what you are doing.

Replying to Can yearling colts breed mares?

Oh yea.....they surely can.

Wether it took or not has many variables including things pertaining to the colt but also the emaciated condition of the mares/fillies may have nixed an actual pregnancy from taking place. Yes you can get a pregnancy kit online I do think from forum member Littlesteppers here in Tennessee. You know how fertile things are here Tennessee is
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

One of the other mares has huge hard swelling on both sides of her cheeks (possibly a dental problem?)

Sure, could also be sinus or a condition known as "lumpy jaw"

terrible wooble in her hips when walks

Stifle problems come to mind here

You really won't know anything conclusive until you have had the time to really go through these horses and get the vet out there. Wow you have really gone way beyond FABULOUS here. Those horses just do not have a clue of how lucky they really are just yet but we do. The world is a better place because of you and your friend. You still need to get over this side of the mountain when you ever get any time for a visit!

[SIZE=14pt]Yes they can and do get mares bred! Thank tho for taking care of this needy little group! You are an angel for them.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I'ts just wonderful that you're helping these horses. I hate to see animals mistreated! I'm adding to the yes group about the yearling colts...sorry. I just read an article in Equus about how to care for malnourished/starving horses. Agree with the Panacur wormer but 1/2 dose to start was the article's suggestion so they don't colic from worm impactions. Also frequent small feedings(litterally a handful of hay at a time)...if they eat too much at first can lead to major problems. Good luck!!! Keep us posted on their progress.

Yes to all and may I also offer a standing ovation for your efforts. I hope you update us often.

While it is possible yes a yearling colt can breed and settle a mare it certainly doesnt mean EVERY yearling colt although most arent wanting to take a chance
wink.gif

However my "guess" would be that since these horses are very underweight and more then likely havent ever been fed right ect I am not sure it is highly probable - possible yes but not probable

Latest posts

Back