Can we talk about crazy manes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slonewbt

Reaction score
His everyone! What do you all do for keeping manes and forelocks in check? Honestly, they grow so fast and get so thick.... I just clipped bridle paths and could have made a furry creature with the hair! Not to mention, if you drive, what do you do with a huge forelock when putting the bridle on? I have a mars coat king and thinning shears ...it's just too much to pull a mane so thick.

I am wondering too! Thus far I've just been trying to twist the forelock into sort of a queue and stuff it under the browband off to the side but the results are not fabulous. I see that some people roach for driving but his silver mane and forelock are so pretty! I hate to chop them off although I can see that he might appreciate feeling a little cooler during hot weather. This summer I was planning to get in the habit of braiding the forelock at least before driving.

I undercut the forelock on my boy to make it more manageable with the bridle. It still has its length, but is not so thick.
If you love his silver mane, you could try braiding back a little ways from the bridle path, which helps. Just a couple of braids.
Now, if you want to talk about unruly manes, you should see it right now! Half grown out, going in 5 different directions--including up. I keep it clipped in the summer but I hate to do that now since winter is not over.

I'm going to work on my guys tomorrow. Undercutting the forelock is a good idea...as are braids. I was half tempted to keep clipping when I was doing bridle paths the other day! lol

Thanks! I had thought of braids but there is just so MUCH I didn't even know where to start! 😂 I may revisit clipping it in the heat of summer - we'll see. There's something to be said for the cuteness of a growing-out roach, too, I love when it flops all over the place.

I roach my gelding's in the summer as it does not grow nicely. And it doesn't grow out nicely, either. I can hardly wait till clipping time to get rid of the mess and reveal my handsome boy. I've tried braiding, undercutting, sleazies, hot towels, attempt at training the whole thing this side, that side. Nothing tames it. And I notice the older he gets the more trouble he has with dry, flaky skin in the mane so clipping it all off makes it easier for me to keep the area cleaner.

I have a mare that I hog in the summer and then keep roached. She rubs her mane no matter what I do so it's the only way to keep it looking nice.

On my gelding with the thickest mane I've ever seen I undercut the whole mane. It's so thick and hot and gets tangled underneath so I just cut out about half of the thickness. We're both much happier. And as it grows out the short stubble helps hold the long hair off of his neck so he can get a little air under there. Works pretty slick.

The rest of them I just try to keep brushed and the top little bit behind the bridle path braided.

LOL, our newest mini is so hairy!!! :p Not the best picture but, you get the idea....her tail has been braided up. IMG_5180.jpg

Latest posts

Back