Can the forum handle one more

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I know it's hard to figure out if a baby is a light sorrel or palomino. But it dawned on me that maybe with a pinto, a palomino pinto would have an all white mane and tail, is this true? I thought this filly was a palomino pinto but some of her mane is the color of her body and not all white. What would I call her to register her or advertise her? What would you guys call her?

Mensingfilly3.jpg

Gosh thats a cutie, Marnie!

I have had "big" horse palomino foals born with a peachy colored mane, colored just like the body. As the foals matured, the mane went white.

Now I do see the coloring in the foal's tail, and I still think that your baby is a palomino pinto. Just my .o2 and could be wrong.

Marnie, I am not going to guess what color your foal is. But a palomino can be born with more than white in their tails. You've got mail because the pictures I have are not on my web site.

I'd say she certainly "looks" to be a palomino pinto. However, looks can be deceiving. Does she have a dilute parent? I don't think a little color in the mane would disqualify her from being a palomino. She is beautiful.

I still think she's a palomino pinto too. My filly has a lot of "peach" to her mane and tail, but I've been told they will whiten up. (I thought she was a sorrel but lots of people have assured me she's palomino--sorrel mare and palomino sire)

Her sire is a sorrel pinto. But I don't know beyond that, maybe I can do a little investigating but so many colors are recorded wrong. I thought maybe him or her had a palomino parent and the gene is still there but not dominant? Or maybe that cant' work that way?

In order for that foal to be palomino she HAS to have one dilute or double dilute parent. No skipping generations for the cream gene. So if both parents are truly sorrel....then no way can the foal be palomino.

Carol

I would suspect with those parents she may darken with age. I dont know if the cream gene hides like that but... you can have your parents tested to see if one is carring a cream gene to find out.

She DEFENETLY looks palomino pinto to me but if her parents do not have the cream gene then she couldnt be a palomino pinto!! So I am guesing her sire does really have the cream gene or her dam has the cream gene! some palomino's are born with self colord manes wich means there mane and tail is the same color as there body!! I will PM you some pics I took of a colt. his mane and tail looks just like the color of his body!! I would post them here but he is not my horse so I better not!!

-Gage-

Margaret said:
I would suspect with those parents she may darken with age. I dont know if the cream gene hides like that but... you can have your parents tested to see if one is carring a cream gene to find out.
417481[/snapback]

I do not think the cream gene can hide unless it is a smokey black or if someone has mistaked a buckskin with a bay or mistaked a palomino with a sorrel!!

also is that her dam right by her? What color is her dam if it is not?

-Gage-

Since the sire is sorrel and the dam is either sorrel or silver bay, there is no way the foal can be palomino. She does not look palomino- but that is not the end of it as I have seen palomino foals born that look sorrel, to all intents and purposes. What precludes her being palomino is the fact that neither parent has a cream gene. Cream can hide in black, that is about it!!

rabbitsfizz said:
Since the sire is sorrel and the dam is either sorrel or silver bay, there is no way the foal can be palomino.  She does not look palomino- but that is not the end of it as I have seen palomino foals born that look sorrel, to all intents and purposes.  What precludes her being palomino is the fact that neither parent has a cream gene.  Cream can hide in black, that is about it!!
417502[/snapback]

I agree with Rabbitfizz.
yes.gif

While many foals who end up with white manes & tails...are born with color in them. This foal cannot be palomino without a "dilute" parent. (which she does not have if the sire is sorrel, & the dam doesn't appear to be a dilute either.)

Latest posts

Back