Can someone please help me save the horses... please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you luck in finding a place for your horses. I know how hard it is right now finding homes for horses in todays market. Also, I just do not understand the mentality of If "I don't want them, but, I don't want you to have them either." . When I took the dogs from my ex, I loved them too. I did not want to lose them. I also hope your ex gets some help for that too.

Kuddos to you with everything you doing on the horses' behalf.....

Thanks you guys... I just can't help but constantly beat myself up ober it because I am trying as hard as I can..but can't seem to make progress with it. I've talked to several rescues but most are already beyond capacity or they are underfunded, or they are too far away and cannot take in a herd of this size. I won't give up though, they deserve the help, and it's my responsiblity to find that help for them. I can only keep searching, and keep praying that something will work for them. The heavier they become in foal, the more dangerous the transport will become. The longer that stallion is left in the herd, the more at risk the yearling colt becomes. It's just ... horrible. And I just can't get it out of my head long enough to think clearly about what to do.

Maybe you could find someone or a rescue to take a few or even 1 that is closest to foaling or someone to take the young colt out of there.If you could get any out it is better than nothing.

I begged him over and over to take the stallion out of the herd. Or take the colt out of the herd if at least nothing else. He refuses. He doesn't care anything about them. It took four trips back and forth with the mediator to get him to finally agree to send them to rescue. He wants to sell them, or divide them with me so he can sell part of them... and yes, for a minute I thought...well... at least I could save some of them. But then I realized, no... that would leave some behind yet to suffer and I can't do that. I had to threaten to get up and walk out of mediation and delay the entire divorce just to get him to finally agree to let them go to a rescue. If I could get a couple of different rescues invovled though, it might work. Thanks for the idea... I have been trying all along to get one rescue to take them all in, but perhaps I could get two or three different ones to take two or three apiece and it might work like that. But so far, none of the rescues can do it either due to expense, capacity, or distance. I will keep trying, and will contact more today.

This may sound harsh, but if you can't save all of them at once stop being stubborn&save what you can.Some is better than none and it sounds like you are making NO PROGRESS trying to get someone to take all of them at once.Find anyone who is willing to take even 1 and go from there.Even an individual who will take 1.List the horses by priority-which 1 nedds to get out first and make the list to cover all.Start with 1 at a time then another.There is a saying with dog rescue" If you can't save them all,you will make a difference to the one you do save."This may not be 100% accurate, but you get the jist of it.I hope you can find someone-just keep looking.Start small -go from there.

Bevann.. I can't. It's stipulated in the divorce settlement that all horses must be turned over to a reputable rescue ... it doesn't state that it can't be two or three rescues, but they have to be ligitimate rescues because he's throwing a fit thinking I'm trying to trick him into letting friends get some of them and me keep them for myself. I have to turn over the information on the recues to the courts when I find some that can take them in. Marty..thank you so much. I looked everywhere trying to find your phone number..but I couldn't find it. I guess I lost it in the moves. I wil go to the links and see if I can get some help for them there...thanks for posting them.

Just a thought, not sure if it would work but you could have a rescue take them all in, and then you adopt them back from the rescue. It doesn't say in the divorce settlement about you adopting them after they are placed in the rescue, as long as they are sent to a rescue to begin with. Just a thought. Maybe wait a month before adopting them back. You could help pay for their upkeep at the rescue while the rescue has them.

That's a great idea Shana.. and it doesn't state anything about not being able to adopt them back. There's been a huge block thrown in htis situation yet again... every time I work something out with him he backs out of it after he talks to someone else. He went home and told his girlfriend about the agreement,a nd now she's forcing him to try to back out of all of it, so he's refusing to sign the final typed document. My attorney says it doesn't matter, she assured me that since he signed the agreement in front of four attorney's including his own, plus verbally confirmed agreement in front of all of them that he can't back out now, but considering all the things he's gotten away with that he never should have all this time... I can't help be be afraid he's going to find a way to worm out of it. So once again, I'm frozen in what I can do until I get the judge to sign it, and first i have to see if the judge will approve it by using the hand written agreement drafted by an attorney that has his signature on it. This is all making me so sick, and so tired... and yet again, I'm back to square one with worry and waiting to be able to do something to help them.

I was looking at similar cases online. The best bet would be to contact the ASPCA and ask them how to go about this situation. Maybe fail to menion the divorce and stick to the fact the authorities are doing nothing, or say you know the couple are getting divorced and therefore no one will get involved (but don't tell them you're the wife).

If you know anyone who has firsthand knowledge of what's going on and they have seen the condition of the horses (your children included), write down the facts and have someone make an anonymus call to the proper authorities, be it police, animal control, etc. And I read a bit about a 'Protection from abuse order' that can be filed against your husband by a judge. Maybe something to look into.

It's sick how many of these cases really exist!

Not trying to be rude but if and when you can get them transferred to a rescue would you be better off NOT having any horses for awhile. What about your kids? A divorce takes time to work out (sounds like yours is a mess right now) those horses are ill and will need alot of vetting to get them back to normal and time to heal. If he is that much of a jerk your going to be dealing with alot more issues then horses. He sounds like a control freak. With the horses gone then he will focus on the kids and other things. Been there done it. Good Luck!

You are correct Minie812 ... I am not too proud or ashamed to say that I am in no position to have the horses, or any horses right now. At this point in time I am working more towards regaining my footing and learning to stand on my own. The ex did sign the agreement that was handwritten by an attorney, and though he refused to sign the final typed divorce decree with the agreement as a settlement, he still signed the agreement, so now my attorney and I have petitioned the courts to enforce the agreement as a contract to stand as the temporary order until the divorce can be heard in court. Which means, if the judge agrees that it is an enforcable contract, everything in it has to be done...including the custody agreement, and the horses being turned over to a rescue. My attorney believes that if the judge deems the contract as legitimate (which he should) ... then the ex will realize that he's not gaining anything, and only hurting every one and every thing involved, and may go ahead and sign the divorce decree making it final. Either way, I'm praying that a judge will deem the signed document as an ecforcable contract and then I can get the horses out of there.

My point above on the statement about possibly getting the horses back is that I am very aware of how long and how much it takes to help a horse recover from being allowed to get into their condition. I can try to help financially with their recovery in a rescue, while rebuilding my life.. and maybe God, prayer, and hard work will put me into a position later on to be able to adopt a couple of them back, as long as I was stable financially and everything else. However...that is a long shot, and not a plan. The plan is, and hope is, that they can get the help they need now, and then be adopted into good homes where they will be given the lives they deserve to have, and they are entitled to. They did not get here by accident, they were bred by humans to be created and put on this earth, so just like our own children, we owe it to them to provide for them, and take care of them. I know now with the events that have taken place in my life that I am not the person that can provide that for them, no matter how very much I love them... no matter how badly I want to just go hug their necks and cry and tell them how sorry I am that this has all happened... I am realistic about it, and know that I cannot do it. All I can do is use that love for them to drive me to find a solution as fast as possible that will help them, and get them into homes where their necks will be hugged, their tummies full, and their needs met.

These animals are dying. Not to sound harsh and I feel for your situation, but you should have been in contact with the police and the humane society as soon as all the rabbits and chickens died. You might not get them back, but better then be cared for. Yes it's his and his moms property, but they have starving neglected dying animals in it so yes the police will do something about it.

Latest posts

Back