Can Shetlands fit??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
My husband and I have plans in the future of adding a shetland or two to our herd. We also are looking at getting a miniature horse trailer. If we got the mini horse trailer, would shetlands fit inside it? I know they won't fit in our van!!! What is your experience with hauling shetlands and minis?

Kim R.

I have a 4-horse Calico bumper pull designed for minis which I got for a song because the previous owner had switched to shetlands and she did not feel they fit into it comfortably. Bad for her, but great for me! I have hauled a 37" mini mare in it, but nothing larger. I am 5'2" and just barely have to tilt my head to walk around inside if that gives you any idea -- at least for a Calico-brand trailer (I've seen mini trailers that were taller than mine AND some that were shorter, however).

Robin C

I know they won't fit in our van!!! Kim R.
Heh heh... ain't that the truth...
default_rolleyes.gif
: That's one for the 'all's well that end's well' file. "Please Sassy, just crawl in on your knees honey."

No one else has, so leave it to me to state the obvious...

Depends upon the Shetland...

Mingus is 38 inches, as tall or taller than many ASPC/AMHR horses, and he rides comfortably in our minivan AND in Daryl's mini trailer.

Friends brought my ayrshire cow home for me in a mini trailer, yep I said a mini trailer. She didn't seem to mind it a bit. She took the length of it too ( except the neck area ) Their trailer has a large horse undercarriage so the weight didn't hurt it. She rode home quite nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have mentioned, it depends on the size of Shetland you are planning on adding - As the Shetland breed , like the Miniature horse breed, does not have a minimum height - only a maximum. We have several Shetlands that are 34 and under. If you are planning on showing in the "over" shetland division then our experience is that the taller shetlands will not fit in the lower height miniature trailers.

You may want to consider purchasing a full size trailer and then converting the stalls for your small equines. The advantages are that you can hang your carts above the horses, more ventilation, easier to lead the horses in and out and the trailer will normally have a better resale opportunity. Just some thoughts.

My Shetland was just under 40 inches not only sis he ride for years in my Suburban but also road for 7 years in the back seat of my '67 Chevy Impala...Hauled him all over WI. and all over the State of AZ. from Phoenix to way south east of Tucson right down the inter state 10 and over to south of Wilcox. Yes I hauled many years in that car and then I got the Suburban which of course is even bigger and he would just stand there behind me and eat french fries when I would go through the window at MaDonalds..And when I sold him the Lady cam with a van and he jumped right in~! I thought now that is cool going to a place and being hauled just like I hauled him in a car, van or Suburban He liked to go along. And moving back from AZ. to Wisc. Josh road in this mni trailer~! And still have and using that same trailer 10 years later..

JoshinSuburban.jpg

Joshin67Implala.jpg

Suburbanandminitrailer.jpg

Kim I think it is best you get a 2 horse trailer and convert to minis and shetlands so that you will have enough room to safely haul a larger shetland

Oh Keeper...doesn't that bring memories flooding back!!! :lol:

I have hauled up to a 38" horse in my van...but she JUST fit! If she had been a high-headed horse, it wouldn't have worked. We're thinking of eventually finding a shetland mare in the 40-44 inch range. I have seen full sized horse trailers with runners for carts put in above the stalls for the horses. However, we have just a little Ford truck to pull it with...and we were hoping to hang onto the truck because it is not quite the gas guzzler big trucks are. We have hauled a 2 horse trailer with it on some of the Excellent Adventures of Kim and Lisa...and it did just fine. We'll have to look into that...

Kim R

I saw an ad for Brenderup trailers in a regional horse publication, and was curious if anyone owns or has had experience with one of these. According to their information, these trailers are based upon a European design and are able to be pulled by a passenger car.

http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/

I saw an ad for Brenderup trailers in a regional horse publication, and was curious if anyone owns or has had experience with one of these. According to their information, these trailers are based upon a European design and are able to be pulled by a passenger car.

http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/
Cute trailer but I can't see how they load. Is it slant, straight, or what? Our mini trailer is a Hawk and if you use it the way it was designed 3 horses have to ride crossways of the trailer. Since the dividers are set close enough to hold everyone in place this causes no problem for my guys. However, I would think it would be short (nose to tail) for a shetland. The height is no problem and it would stand the weight of bigger ponies just wouldn't be able to haul more than 1 possibly 2 and then they have to stand free without the dividers.

From their photo page, all models appear to be straight load, at least for big horses.

Kim, I'm curious now as to what sort of minivan you have. Mingus is very upheaded, but he doesn't even brush his head in our Windstar.

Susanne, I have a ford Astro van. I love it...it's roomy enough for my horses. I wonder if yours has more headroom, though. Hmmm, I thin I'll look at the ad...that may be a possibility if it is only in Oregon...that's a doable drive...at least after May!

Kim R

Latest posts

Back