Can mini donkeys be good companions for mini horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The females seem MUCH more docile than the males. Our neighbors had a donkey gelding for a few years, but he was WAY to rough, even to run with their young stallions and had to be seperated. It sounds like your Mini would like another Mini boy to play with? I dont recommend allowing Minis out with full sized horses any time. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the information guys! It is MUCH appreciated. I would definitely prefer another mini for our guy, but I also wanted to find out if a mini donkey could also work. glad to hear that some folks have had good luck with them. Their noise is a concern of mine. I've heard that male donkeys can be rather loud. But I've also heard that it's usually the ungelded ones. I don't know if that's really the case or not. I'm sure each one is their own individual.

I definitely didn't know about the worm. Thanks for the headsup!

I have both, have only had my donks 1 1/2 years. I have not see a horse and donk bond or play together. I have weaned them together and the donks stay with each other. Horses are dominant over the donks. I let the broodmares out in the big pasture with the donks during the day, they all stay in the same area but separate herds. The Donkeys do seem to pair up and bond more so than the horses. I have read donks can carry the lung worm with out showing any signs, as someone else mentions you just worm them as you would a horse. Which you would always want to do when bringing a new animal in.

As for noise.........LOVE it..I still crack up at feeding time. Mine only bray at feeding time, when something is in pasture or if I say DONKEY DONK!! LOL They can be way in the back pasture and I can yell donkey donk and they will answer...Love it!

Yep, u need 2 donkeys and another colt...that's my 2 cents and WELCOME from Oklahoma!

They are separate breeds, there is no reason why they should bind!!

Given a choice, they do not.

Simple as that.

Ling worm is effectively destroyed by the five day Fenbendazole (panacur) course.

It effects horse badly, but has less effect on the host donkeys.

Obviously they should be wormed as often as horses, anyway.

Thanks for the information guys! It is MUCH appreciated. I would definitely prefer another mini for our guy, but I also wanted to find out if a mini donkey could also work. glad to hear that some folks have had good luck with them. Their noise is a concern of mine. I've heard that male donkeys can be rather loud. But I've also heard that it's usually the ungelded ones. I don't know if that's really the case or not. I'm sure each one is their own individual.I definitely didn't know about the worm. Thanks for the headsup!
The noisy one that the neighbors across the road had was female. She brayed 24/7. In the middle of the night it was rather distracting to say the least !! VERY loud.

Welcome!!! I have no expericance with mini donkeys but I think they are the cutest !!!

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I know someone who is trying to rehome 1 of her 2 mini donks and several of her ponies/horses. She would prefer the mini donk be adopted with 1 of the ponies as he is more bonded to the pony than the other mini donk.

Too bad we're all the way in Iowa!

Thanks y'all! I hadn't even thought about a mini mule. Sounds fun.

I would absolutely LOVE to adopt from a shelter.

I think Rocky is definitely like a pitbull too in his desire to play and rough house. I would definitely have to find a tough mini that wouldn't break easily. He needs something that can take the licking and keep on ticking. LOL Not that he's a horrid little beast. he's just a a young boy who's still feeling his oats.

Connie P, I'm located in Alabama. I don't know of many shelters in my area that are looking for homes for minis. I've started looking online, but I still have much searching to do. I'll definitely pm ya, maybe you might know of somebody near me that has a mini horse/donkey/mule that would make a good match for Rocky that would like a home that they'd be well cared for.
Where in Alabama? I live in Chancellor, Al. I have a mini donkey (jack) and he is the most loving!!! I also have 2 mini mares plus a colt. I do keep him separated though because one of my mini's is pregnant and he plays rough with them. Being mares, they don't appreciate his joy, haha. He's so lonley though...

Latest posts

Back